Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Can't recall if this was already referenced or not but some info: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1522843-how-to-and-product-review-spectra-ac-condenser.html

I am not sure what would give if you try to bend it. Afraid it would stress and fracture where the side pipe goes into the main unit.

Thanks Scott, I had seen this before but kind of just skimmed over it because I thought it may not be completely applicable. *But*, at second glance, the GPD does look suspiciously similar to the Spectra on that page. I can't be certain that its identical (though I did check the labels etc, no mention of Spectra)

I didn't catch before that the bottom brackets on the radiator support were removed to accommodate the fit. Looks like I have some more test fitting to do...

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Scott, I had seen this before but kind of just skimmed over it because I thought it may not be completely applicable. *But*, at second glance, the GPD does look suspiciously similar to the Spectra on that page. I can't be certain that its identical (though I did check the labels etc, no mention of Spectra)

I didn't catch before that the bottom brackets on the radiator support were removed to accommodate the fit. Looks like I have some more test fitting to do...

I took the brackets off the rad support and now things make much more sense. In fact, it almost seems to me that you could get away with not having brackets on the bottom at all, but probably not a great idea.

The top condenser brackets line up nicely with the holes in the rad support. The bottom area would be the effort - and maybe putting a little rubber cover where the tubing touches the support.

IMG_2989.jpg.06b2b5d7430c1850c15e50365478ad75.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg.29be867866a4b6e8ae3621450b906087.jpg

I took the brackets off the rad support and now things make much more sense. In fact, it almost seems to me that you could get away with not having brackets on the bottom at all, but probably not a great idea.

The top condenser brackets line up nicely with the holes in the rad support. The bottom area would be the effort - and maybe putting a little rubber cover where the tubing touches the support.

I don't have any great ideas but very interested in what you figure out. Been staring at your photos and the ones in the FTE link but nothing new is coming to mind.

I don't have any great ideas but very interested in what you figure out. Been staring at your photos and the ones in the FTE link but nothing new is coming to mind.

I dont know what the big deal is you just space out the bottom of the condenser and the grill support about 1/2" and it all clears.

20181221_163911.jpg.faf1697e8eae34ba810c67fc8c23f340.jpg

Dave ----

I dont know what the big deal is you just space out the bottom of the condenser and the grill support about 1/2" and it all clears.

Dave ----

Now that I understand the way to mitigate it, it’s not.

It didn’t click that the bottom brackets needed to be taken off the radiator support, and I was hoping the GPD wouldn’t have the same problems as the Spectra. It turns out the GPD is a Spectra clone.

Now that I understand the way to mitigate it, it’s not.

It didn’t click that the bottom brackets needed to be taken off the radiator support, and I was hoping the GPD wouldn’t have the same problems as the Spectra. It turns out the GPD is a Spectra clone.

Besides snapping a u-nut while backing out the brackets on the radiator support, I have the new condenser mounted. I wasn't totally happy with the positioning of the new holes I had to drill in the condenser brackets, but I doubt no one will even know besides me.

As Dave told me earlier this year, the basic steps for me were:

1. Remove bottom brackets on radiator support

2. Flip passenger side bracket from front of condenser to back side

3. Drill new holes in top condenser brackets, about 1/4" lower than existing holes. Trim metal above these new holes off the brackets

4. Bottom of condenser sticks "out" (forward of the plane of the radiator support). Top of condenser mounts as original did, just repositioned a bit via the new holes in those brackets

5. Success... ???

Besides snapping a u-nut while backing out the brackets on the radiator support, I have the new condenser mounted. I wasn't totally happy with the positioning of the new holes I had to drill in the condenser brackets, but I doubt no one will even know besides me.

3. Drill new holes in top condenser brackets, about 1/4" lower than existing holes. Trim metal above these new holes off the brackets

4. Bottom of condenser sticks "out" (forward of the plane of the radiator support). Top of condenser mounts as original did, just repositioned a bit via the new holes in those brackets

5. Success... ???

Glad you are all bolted up :nabble_smiley_good:

Maybe someday we'll find a new one that isn't the Spectra design.

5. Success... ???

Man that is a lot more work than finding longer bolts in the left over hardware bin on the bench and finding & cutting the pipe to off set the bottom like in my picture.

Like you no one knows but me (and now everyone) once the grille is back in place.

My grille was out as part of the rebuild of the truck.

Dave ----

5. Success... ???

Man that is a lot more work than finding longer bolts in the left over hardware bin on the bench and finding & cutting the pipe to off set the bottom like in my picture.

Like you no one knows but me (and now everyone) once the grille is back in place.

My grille was out as part of the rebuild of the truck.

Dave ----

Looking at your picture are you worried that air will be pulled around the gaps on the sides & bottom?

I just seen yours and made me think I need to see what mine is like.

I know my fan dose pull air through the radiator & condenser but I wonder if it could be better?

If I sit at a light or idle for a long time, idle RPM, my AC will blow a little warmer till the RPM comes back up but my 02 Durango dose the same so ????

IMG_2990.jpg.e38acbb3450889779492ce5ec886506b.jpg

Dave ----

Looking at your picture are you worried that air will be pulled around the gaps on the sides & bottom?

I just seen yours and made me think I need to see what mine is like.

I know my fan dose pull air through the radiator & condenser but I wonder if it could be better?

If I sit at a light or idle for a long time, idle RPM, my AC will blow a little warmer till the RPM comes back up but my 02 Durango dose the same so ????

Dave ----

Yeah, a little bit. But it’ll probably be ok as is. I imagine an air dam of some sort could be made to prevent air from getting through that gap, but probably not worth the trouble.

I’m to the stage in this project where I just want to be able to drive this thing again haha.