Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

I was cleaning the frame off by the front coils, and one of these buggers fell off the frame, holding a brake line to the frame.

I'd like to keep the original look, even if they are less than optimal. Anyone know where these can be found? I know there was a thread from 2018 with no luck, but thought I'd ask again.

Funny, I ripped all of them off my frames and replaced with cushion clamps. Unfortunately I threw them all out, but I would have gladly sent them all to you. I feel like I save too much stuff sometimes...but at the same time I feel like I've thrown away a lot of stuff that other people could use.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cleaning the frame off by the front coils, and one of these buggers fell off the frame, holding a brake line to the frame.

I'd like to keep the original look, even if they are less than optimal. Anyone know where these can be found? I know there was a thread from 2018 with no luck, but thought I'd ask again.

Funny, I ripped all of them off my frames and replaced with cushion clamps. Unfortunately I threw them all out, but I would have gladly sent them all to you. I feel like I save too much stuff sometimes...but at the same time I feel like I've thrown away a lot of stuff that other people could use.

I appreciate that, Cory. Logic tells me to not use plastic parts, they'll just disintegrate like these did. But I suppose in another 40 years I won't care... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

In the end I'll probably go with that style of clamp, but thought I'd give it a try first.

A jy/parts truck is the only place I know. Can't say I've seen any for sale nos.

Just some thoughts-

You could pop out the rod and use a factory looking bolt or you could use something like those drywall anchors to do the same as the missing part.

Hey, that's a pretty clever idea! I'll see what I can find at the local hardware store to that end. I have to pick up a few bolts to bolt the new exhaust shroud to the manifold in that area anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that's a pretty clever idea! I'll see what I can find at the local hardware store to that end. I have to pick up a few bolts to bolt the new exhaust shroud to the manifold in that area anyway...

Some updates: I'm still working on cleaning up the frame to my satisfaction, but decided that I'd take another layer off stuff off to replace since I'm tired of scrubbing and grinding: the A/C Drier, A/C Evaporator, and the hoses/lines to go with it.

The only line that has been hard to find is the Evaporator to Compressor line (E4TZ-19867-C/F), but I found one on eBay that looks like it'll work. The others I see at RockAuto (Four Seasons)

When I look on RockAuto though, there are two choices listed for each hose: "Pre Charged" or "Factory Charged". I'm assuming I want the Factory charged, as my system is Integral A/C and not Dealer Installed. Or does it mean something else? Which would I choose?

Also, I need to put new O-rings on, and read in another great thread about putting in the red orifice tube for moving to R-134A. I will eventually take it somewhere to get the system charged, as I don't have all the fittings and vacuum equipment. I think I need to lubricate the O-rings with PAG oil so I'll do that when assembling. Anything else to be done so it's ready to be charged?

Summary:

New Hoses

New Evaporator

New Condenser

New Accumulator/Drier

The only "old" thing to stick around is the compressor and the switch that screws into the Accumulator/Drier.

Some updates: I'm still working on cleaning up the frame to my satisfaction, but decided that I'd take another layer off stuff off to replace since I'm tired of scrubbing and grinding: the A/C Drier, A/C Evaporator, and the hoses/lines to go with it.

The only line that has been hard to find is the Evaporator to Compressor line (E4TZ-19867-C/F), but I found one on eBay that looks like it'll work. The others I see at RockAuto (Four Seasons)

When I look on RockAuto though, there are two choices listed for each hose: "Pre Charged" or "Factory Charged". I'm assuming I want the Factory charged, as my system is Integral A/C and not Dealer Installed. Or does it mean something else? Which would I choose?

Also, I need to put new O-rings on, and read in another great thread about putting in the red orifice tube for moving to R-134A. I will eventually take it somewhere to get the system charged, as I don't have all the fittings and vacuum equipment. I think I need to lubricate the O-rings with PAG oil so I'll do that when assembling. Anything else to be done so it's ready to be charged?

Summary:

New Hoses

New Evaporator

New Condenser

New Accumulator/Drier

The only "old" thing to stick around is the compressor and the switch that screws into the Accumulator/Drier.

I don't know about the oil. Maybe others that do will chime in.

But on "Pre Charged" vs "Factory Charged", I think they are saying the same thing with different words.

Summary:

New Hoses

New Evaporator

New Condenser

New Accumulator/Drier

If you have compressed air buy a cheap needle scaler at Horrid Fate.

I can't tell you how many hours these things save chipping off blistered paint and layers of rust.

I don't have an answer for your hose question.

If it was IRT a compressor or accumulator I would say it had the proper amount of oil already in it.

If you have compressed air buy a cheap needle scaler at Horrid Fate.

I can't tell you how many hours these things save chipping off blistered paint and layers of rust.

I don't have an answer for your hose question.

If it was IRT a compressor or accumulator I would say it had the proper amount of oil already in it.

I wasn't clear, sorry my question regarding the In-Plant vs Pre-Charged was actually driven from the Ford Master Parts catalog, and the definition was right there. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Screenshot_2021-04-22_192726.jpg.8cf1e53ee6d2a48e8cae77bdb1a31dcc.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the scaler, I'll check it out!

Regarding the oil, it's not clear to me where the oil should be (I'm showing my ignorance here). Only within the compressor itself? There won't be any oil inside the rest of the system? If it should be anywhere else, I sure don't see it.

I wasn't clear, sorry my question regarding the In-Plant vs Pre-Charged was actually driven from the Ford Master Parts catalog, and the definition was right there. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Regarding the oil, it's not clear to me where the oil should be (I'm showing my ignorance here). Only within the compressor itself? There won't be any oil inside the rest of the system? If it should be anywhere else, I sure don't see it.

Ah!

This has caught out a few of our members when parts store hoses didn't fit.

I think Dave (Fuzzface2) couldn't get his two systems to merge.

Oil belongs in the compressor but it is going to get spread throughout the system ultimately.

Well, that's a significant statement, and the definition is certainly good to know. Thanks!

Ah!

This has caught out a few of our members when parts store hoses didn't fit.

I think Dave (Fuzzface2) couldn't get his two systems to merge.

Oil belongs in the compressor but it is going to get spread throughout the system ultimately.

Yes I did, my 81 was a factory system with a York compressor.

Thing is I went with a later (84?) compressor and it takes different hose ends that what I had.

Well IIRC only 1 hose was different or was that 2?

the hose from compressor to dryer was the hard one as the newer hose fit a different drier and the newer drier would not fit the evap.

So it was the 81 drier & think 81 hose that I used to the compressor. The hose runs across the valve cover and not to the firewall like on the later trucks.

The other hose from compressor to condenser worked from the later system.

I had to re-use the high PSI hose from condenser to evap as I doing think I could get one at the time and it looked good so I went with it.

As for pre & after charged. The way I was told is if it had service valves it was a pre-charge system, mine had valves both the York & the later compressor.

As for the oil I also went around & around on what to use and how much!

I would need to check the bottle to see what I used and notes, think posted here on my AC thread, on how much I used.

It should be added to each new part un-less it said it was pre-filled. Some compressors come pre-filled.

I had a used compressor but was told to add oil or they would not take it back if it was bad.

Had a new condenser, drier, hoses and flushed out the evap. so system was about empty.

I added a little to each part before I pulled a vacuum. I also did not want to hydro lock the compressor if oil was added to just it.

I think I used a blue valve as that is what came out but I also know its been posted to use the red valve.

Now most that say use the red is on a big cabin car or truck, I have a single small cabin so did not see the need to change colors. Now if it was a Bronco then I think I would have gone red valve.

Also I could not check the high side PSI when I did my system, it has a different fitting than my gauges has. I had a leak at an O-ring and lost 97% of the charge so I was able to swap the O-ring out, pull a vacuum and recharge and iw working again.

My son helped this last time, he has done HVAC would before, so he went off supper heating / cooling numbers and the temp of the system when charging.

He also thinks this new fitting size is what the newer cars & trucks use, I forget what he said it was and will try and get a fitting for it so I have it, but so far my system is running cool again.

Lets say OAT of 80* fan on low, max AC and coldest temp setting going down the road at 50 MPH/1300 RPM I was getting under 25*f out the vent.

If you need more information I will see if I can find my post & notes.

Dave ----