Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Forgot the fender liners I'm looking forward to how that works out.

All done with the painting of the fender liners, here are some pics. I washed them off with Dawn soap and a scour pad, then SEM soap, then used SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (Sand Free didn't take on this plastic). Finally, three coats of SEM Trim Black (39143). It coated and adhered really well, but I didn't try to beat it up to check on scratch resistance. The only gripe is the area where the battery sits - but the plastic is scored, so not much to do about that... it'll be covered normally so not a big deal.

Before:

D7AD38DB-7FF5-4D5A-81DA-F71DF58883A0.jpeg.6e98f197f923cbc2cc3e68df81b74ad1.jpeg

92D78AF2-28CB-47B0-ADD4-CA76D4DE1D8D.jpeg.112da2b16941df6d7931c9ac90f7956e.jpeg

Cleaned, but not painted:

File_000.jpeg.43281254471f64fff7215d39ec16b731.jpeg

File_000_(1).thumb.jpeg.09446f4819a2350c362a39035e3146b1.jpeg

File_001.thumb.jpeg.8d97f1b0c4e377978993e50a0e48d8c6.jpeg

After:

IMG_2092.thumb.jpg.3389cfb045b701f71f6b7d665dc75a73.jpg

IMG_2094.thumb.jpg.b8dd5c791cb01c238e06a70472dffa3e.jpg

IMG_2096.thumb.jpg.84208b9195735e37596195b00d27ebce.jpg

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All done with the painting of the fender liners, here are some pics. I washed them off with Dawn soap and a scour pad, then SEM soap, then used SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (Sand Free didn't take on this plastic). Finally, three coats of SEM Trim Black (39143). It coated and adhered really well, but I didn't try to beat it up to check on scratch resistance. The only gripe is the area where the battery sits - but the plastic is scored, so not much to do about that... it'll be covered normally so not a big deal.

Before:

After:

Chris, that's an amazing transformation.

You must have put a lot of work into that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Before:

After:

Wow!

Those look great.

Wow! Well done! I'm sure that took a lot of work, but they look amazing!

I'll have to do that on the ones for Dad's truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks all for the kind words!

To be fair, I have pictures of them cleaned but not painted but I couldn't find them today, I'll update the post when I find them.

EDIT: My original post above has been updated to show "clean but not painted" pictures.

I'd say I probably put about eight hours into it total. I was really impressed by the SEM Trim Black. It covered really really well. With the plastic being as hard and glossy as it was, I was worried about the finish ending up streaky or spotty, but that ended up not being the case.

I've used Trim Black to freshen up the radio bezel, and that ended up looking really nice as well. And, this is coming from someone whose track record with spray painting has been spotty (no pun intended, mostly... :nabble_smiley_grin:) up until now.

Thanks all for the kind words!

To be fair, I have pictures of them cleaned but not painted but I couldn't find them today, I'll update the post when I find them.

EDIT: My original post above has been updated to show "clean but not painted" pictures.

I'd say I probably put about eight hours into it total. I was really impressed by the SEM Trim Black. It covered really really well. With the plastic being as hard and glossy as it was, I was worried about the finish ending up streaky or spotty, but that ended up not being the case.

I've used Trim Black to freshen up the radio bezel, and that ended up looking really nice as well. And, this is coming from someone whose track record with spray painting has been spotty (no pun intended, mostly... :nabble_smiley_grin:) up until now.

Dang! Very nice!

Before:

After:

I don’t buy it.

They’re NOS!

• 3 weeks later...

I got my exhaust shroud back from getting its ceramic coating, it looks nice. Should last a long while.

File_001_(1).jpeg.86b4bef5d1309ecfc687e67610eac26d.jpeg

File_000_(2).jpeg.a18984d82d95008007c5dda940fec3b3.jpeg

One of the bolts holding it onto the manifold is still there (and frozen) so I'm hitting it with PB blaster and taking my time.

In the meantime, the shop I used for the shroud also does metal polishing/finishing of all sorts. I've discussed getting my OE mirrors fixed and polished there. The main issue is there a what I call 'pings', where the mirrors have hit stuff in the last 40-ish years, so there are dents. The shop owner says he can fix the dents and re-polish the mirrors, but the glass needs to come out. It seems the mirrors are glued to the stainless shell, and I've heard they are very difficult to disassemble without damaging things. I'm going to give it a try anyway, I'd like to save the original mirrors. I've found a nice NOS replacement for the RH side, but can't find a left, hence my pivot to trying to salvage the originals.

File_000_(3).jpeg.75a1619eae67582164b6a92d7880872e.jpeg

File_001_(2).jpeg.861ed3969062d150e9bb6324bb548737.jpeg

I got my exhaust shroud back from getting its ceramic coating, it looks nice. Should last a long while.

One of the bolts holding it onto the manifold is still there (and frozen) so I'm hitting it with PB blaster and taking my time.

In the meantime, the shop I used for the shroud also does metal polishing/finishing of all sorts. I've discussed getting my OE mirrors fixed and polished there. The main issue is there a what I call 'pings', where the mirrors have hit stuff in the last 40-ish years, so there are dents. The shop owner says he can fix the dents and re-polish the mirrors, but the glass needs to come out. It seems the mirrors are glued to the stainless shell, and I've heard they are very difficult to disassemble without damaging things. I'm going to give it a try anyway, I'd like to save the original mirrors. I've found a nice NOS replacement for the RH side, but can't find a left, hence my pivot to trying to salvage the originals.

I was cleaning the frame off by the front coils, and one of these buggers fell off the frame, holding a brake line to the frame.

IMG_2342.jpg.7f8992e204a198992287d8fc2461a3e7.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg.075b53c6cea49fc2f3d3a5fbc186cc02.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg.9cc8af5b7a36ec0abc57a038d4e3f154.jpg

I can't find these anywhere, I believe the part number on the drawing is N800919-S.

I'd like to keep the original look, even if they are less than optimal. Anyone know where these can be found? I know there was a thread from 2018 with no luck, but thought I'd ask again.

I was cleaning the frame off by the front coils, and one of these buggers fell off the frame, holding a brake line to the frame.

I can't find these anywhere, I believe the part number on the drawing is N800919-S.

I'd like to keep the original look, even if they are less than optimal. Anyone know where these can be found? I know there was a thread from 2018 with no luck, but thought I'd ask again.

A jy/parts truck is the only place I know. Can't say I've seen any for sale nos.

Just some thoughts-

You could pop out the rod and use a factory looking bolt or you could use something like those drywall anchors to do the same as the missing part.