Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Ok guys, please check it out. The picture doesn't really belong in the list of part numbers, so I added this statement in the part number list: "See the picture of the hoses and their PNs on the Illustrations, Pics, Etc tab, then the Integral A/C tab, and then the Pictures tab."

So simple, even I could find it. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks Gary! I hope this reduces confusion for some poor soul in the future.

I put a call into Green Sales, they're sending me a picture of the part right now and I'll send an update after that

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So simple, even I could find it. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks Gary! I hope this reduces confusion for some poor soul in the future.

I put a call into Green Sales, they're sending me a picture of the part right now and I'll send an update after that

We have a lot of hidden gems on the site, and I didn't want that one to be yet another one. Glad you could find it.

And there aren't numbers on these parts that I can find, or not ones that seem to identify them, so pictures would be very helpful if the part isn't in a package with a # on it.

We have a lot of hidden gems on the site, and I didn't want that one to be yet another one. Glad you could find it.

And there aren't numbers on these parts that I can find, or not ones that seem to identify them, so pictures would be very helpful if the part isn't in a package with a # on it.

Hi Guys -

Just got an email back from Green Sales, and it's good news. They are charging $10 (plus shipping) for these, and they supposedly have quantity 30. I'm getting mine today! Picture below is from them after they pulled one from stock

IMG_1229.jpeg.52edf91922732b92cbf6521a375db01b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim, I ordered some calipers also from Amazon. I have a feeling I'll be using them more moving forward.

I ordered a heater core, (Four Seasons 90582) and it doesn't fit in the heater box (is that the name for it?). The top of the replacement core is square, and the original had a beveled top. Basically, square peg, kinda round hole. I found another one on Rock Auto I'm going to try, it looks more correct. I didn't take the top shape into consideration - just because the basic dimensions are the same and the website says it's going to fit, doesn't always mean it's true!

On another subject, since I'm putting in a new fan clutch, I was toying around with the idea of dropping in a new water pump, thermostat, and radiator. A cooling system makeover of sorts. I looked in the documentation and there seeems to be two candidate radiators. Any ideas? This an 84 302 with AOD A/T transmission.

Just in case anyone else runs into a fitment with the heater core on a similar truck, I got my (second) heater core. This one fits well. Got it from RockAuto, the part number is APDI/PRO 9010205.

In the firewall, there was some sort of insulator material but it was.. I don't know how to even say it. Done is all I can think of haha. A black spongy material, but smelled of oil and it crumbled in my hand (yet was sticky). I don't know if this was supposed to be there, or it was added on a previous repair.

That being said, do you guys use some sort of expandable foam or something to seal the area that the heater core pipes come into the engine bay? Thanks!

Just in case anyone else runs into a fitment with the heater core on a similar truck, I got my (second) heater core. This one fits well. Got it from RockAuto, the part number is APDI/PRO 9010205.

In the firewall, there was some sort of insulator material but it was.. I don't know how to even say it. Done is all I can think of haha. A black spongy material, but smelled of oil and it crumbled in my hand (yet was sticky). I don't know if this was supposed to be there, or it was added on a previous repair.

That being said, do you guys use some sort of expandable foam or something to seal the area that the heater core pipes come into the engine bay? Thanks!

I used The Right Stuff to seal the pipes on Big Blue. It expands a bit, but not like the spray foam, and gives a flexible gasket.

Sounds like it'll fit the bill. :nabble_smiley_good: Thanks Gary!

OK, so I've been able to make a little bit of progress on my cooling system replacement.

I was able to remove the drain the radiator, and remove it along with the fan shroud. I had never removed something that had a flare nut on it (trans cooler lines) so that was fun. WD40 was involved.

Now, I'm trying to remove all the belts so I can remove the fan clutch, and replace the water pump and thermostat. I have loosed all the bolts on the power steering pump - I believe the bolt on the lower left hand side of the pump is the one that allows the pump to pivot towards the engine so the bolt loosens and moves on a crescent shaped channel towards the block.

I've tried to move the pump, and it's just not budging. Any tips? This is Mechanics 101 for a lot of you, but I'm constantly learning in here, so thanks! :nabble_anim_handshake: As a reminder, this is a 302 with air and a smog pump as well (if you want to anticipate further belt removal questions from me, haha)