Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Thanks Dave. It takes probably four to five 15 second cranks to get the engine started. If I run the truck the same day (warmed up or cooled down), it's no problem. I haven't replaced the battery yet, but the battery gets worn almost all the way down before the engine catches.

I noticed an old GM film Gary posted regarding all the wrong ways to start a carbureted car. I've been guilty of all three bad ways at different times. (Just press pedal down once and then crank, no pumping, or holding pedal down). So, I'l try that next time I can start the truck again and see if anything improves.

I agree with and understand what you're saying about the fuel in the bowl evaporating, so I'm not expecting instant starts. But, I'd like to think fuel can get pulled in within 10 or 15 seconds of cranking though, not 60+, especially if fuel is still in the line from the pump to carb and pump to tank. If the bowl was empty, the accelerator pump shot would be wasted too though, so perhaps that's part of the issue as to why it takes longer to start when the bowl is empty as well?

Each carb'ed motor starts a little different and it takes time to find just what it takes to start yours.

What makes it even harder is todays gas and what happens when the motor sits for a bit.

As you found day to day it seams to start up pretty fast, 1 pump and maybe hold the throttle down just a little and it fires up.

If it sits for a week you can try the 1 pump & hold but if it does not fire up right a way then when cranking keep pumping till it fires up. If it does not start in a short while stop and let the starter cool off for a min or 2 and try again.

I adjusted my choke last weekend and how I start the truck now is different so I have to re-learn what the truck wants to start LOL

Dave ----

Each carb'ed motor starts a little different and it takes time to find just what it takes to start yours.

What makes it even harder is todays gas and what happens when the motor sits for a bit.

As you found day to day it seams to start up pretty fast, 1 pump and maybe hold the throttle down just a little and it fires up.

If it sits for a week you can try the 1 pump & hold but if it does not fire up right a way then when cranking keep pumping till it fires up. If it does not start in a short while stop and let the starter cool off for a min or 2 and try again.

I adjusted my choke last weekend and how I start the truck now is different so I have to re-learn what the truck wants to start LOL

Dave ----

The endearing thing about carbs to me is that they are analog - with all the peculiarities that come with that. Temperature, time, phase of the moon (joking on this last one) all can change things! Ha!

• 3 weeks later...

The endearing thing about carbs to me is that they are analog - with all the peculiarities that come with that. Temperature, time, phase of the moon (joking on this last one) all can change things! Ha!

Hi Guys,

I'll have a bigger update thread soon (I hope) but I am trying to install new front shocks. When removing the old ones, I had to get a mallet to extract them from the shock mount bracket (E0TZ-18126-A). It seems to be a very tight fit.

Now I am trying to install the new ones, and I'm having a hard time getting the lower mount of the shock in between the two sides of the bracket. It is almost like the spacing in "the channel" is 1mm too narrow.

I know I can whack away and force it in, as this is how it must have been done with the old shocks but it seems excessive..

Tips?

Hi Guys,

I'll have a bigger update thread soon (I hope) but I am trying to install new front shocks. When removing the old ones, I had to get a mallet to extract them from the shock mount bracket (E0TZ-18126-A). It seems to be a very tight fit.

Now I am trying to install the new ones, and I'm having a hard time getting the lower mount of the shock in between the two sides of the bracket. It is almost like the spacing in "the channel" is 1mm too narrow.

I know I can whack away and force it in, as this is how it must have been done with the old shocks but it seems excessive..

Tips?

Is the metal bushing in the rubber grommet too long?

Do your rubber bushings use a cupped washer on either side?

There's nothing wrong with using a mallet to drive them in.

It's really nothing compared to the beating from road bumps at speed.

Is the metal bushing in the rubber grommet too long?

Do your rubber bushings use a cupped washer on either side?

There's nothing wrong with using a mallet to drive them in.

It's really nothing compared to the beating from road bumps at speed.

So I got my calipers out this morning and compared the metal grommet in the old shocks with the new ones.

The metal grommet on the new ones (Bilstein B4600s) are a little under a millimeter longer.

My gut is to just get the Dremel out and try and grind the grommet down but I don't know how well that will go... I imagine the steel is hardened.

I guess the other option would be to try and bend the bracket slightly, but that is some thick steel as well.

Thoughts?

So I got my calipers out this morning and compared the metal grommet in the old shocks with the new ones.

The metal grommet on the new ones (Bilstein B4600s) are a little under a millimeter longer.

My gut is to just get the Dremel out and try and grind the grommet down but I don't know how well that will go... I imagine the steel is hardened.

I guess the other option would be to try and bend the bracket slightly, but that is some thick steel as well.

Thoughts?

I imagine it might take a while with a Dremel.

Do you know anyone with a bench or angle grinder?

Those would make quick work of it. It doesn't need to be a work or art.

I imagine it might take a while with a Dremel.

Do you know anyone with a bench or angle grinder?

Those would make quick work of it. It doesn't need to be a work or art.

I’ll bug the guy across the street when he opens his garage door. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Or, I might go down to Lowes and get an Angle Grinder, they don’t seem to expensive…

I’ll bug the guy across the street when he opens his garage door. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Or, I might go down to Lowes and get an Angle Grinder, they don’t seem to expensive…

I got it on finally... I had to grind the bushing down on both sides down to the rubber plus a tiny bit.

It occurred to me that the last time shocks were installed, someone could have seriously over-tightened the nut on the bottom, and drew the ears closer together, adding an extra challenge for me...

I now have the underside from the cab forward fully painted, and the shock installed. I'm gonna install the exhaust shroud and lower this side, raise the other side, and crawl around and paint the underside of the driver side, then I can start reassembling everything in earnest!

I got it on finally... I had to grind the bushing down on both sides down to the rubber plus a tiny bit.

It occurred to me that the last time shocks were installed, someone could have seriously over-tightened the nut on the bottom, and drew the ears closer together, adding an extra challenge for me...

I now have the underside from the cab forward fully painted, and the shock installed. I'm gonna install the exhaust shroud and lower this side, raise the other side, and crawl around and paint the underside of the driver side, then I can start reassembling everything in earnest!

Sounds like you are getting close, Chris. I think you'll really be pleased with all your work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like you are getting close, Chris. I think you'll really be pleased with all your work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary! Getting tantalizingly close to be able to start putting things back on instead of taking more things off!