Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Yeah, the head of the screw has been completely covered. I suppose I can try to chip away a bit and see if I can expose the head of the screw. I'm not keeping this paint, so who cares, right? :nabble_smiley_happy:

That'd be better than the Sawsall approach, I agree. My main goal is to not damage the fender apron

Yes, if you can find the head and get it out that would be better than using a saw.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, Chris! The less you destroy getting it apart the less there is to fix it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary, I'm glad I took a second look at your suggestion.

I started with just wanting to swap out my radiator. Now I have the whole front of the truck apart :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: (but having fun!)

I started with just wanting to swap out my radiator. Now I have the whole front of the truck apart :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: (but having fun!)

Well, someone on here keeps saying "These trucks are like onions. We keep peeling and crying. But eventually we have a Bloomin' Onion."

Chris, do you mind me asking which tire step you have and what you like/dislike about it?

I've been looking to get one (or two!) and don't have a lot of people to ask for feedback.

I too am glad you're making progress! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Even if you're in deeper than you expected.

Chris, do you mind me asking which tire step you have and what you like/dislike about it?

I've been looking to get one (or two!) and don't have a lot of people to ask for feedback.

I think I got my step from HF and has worked fine for me.

The only other place I would have gotten it from would be Northern Tool but I don't think so.

Dave ----

Hi Jim,

I've only used it a couple times since I've been busy ripping everything apart lately, so I can't say much about it yet. But the few times I did use it, it was nice and sturdy.

I'm 5'10", so having those extra few inches really helps reach back by the carb/EGR, etc...

This is the one my wife got my for Christmas (gosh, she's a keeper... she came up with it on her own)

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-647596-Truck-Service-13-Inch/dp/B0002Q8TWI

Hi Jim,

I've only used it a couple times since I've been busy ripping everything apart lately, so I can't say much about it yet. But the few times I did use it, it was nice and sturdy.

I'm 5'10", so having those extra few inches really helps reach back by the carb/EGR, etc...

This is the one my wife got my for Christmas (gosh, she's a keeper... she came up with it on her own)

Thanks for the link! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, that's a thoughtful and considerate gift.

You really are fortunate to have a spouse that not only supports your truck hobby but encourages it. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Hi Jim,

I had good luck on eBay (thank goodness for their saved search function!)

I found the exhaust shroud, and managed to get the seller down to $125. Not too bad I think, I've seen them for $300 and even $400.

Screenshot_2021-03-06_150336.thumb.png.679f1e648289fe76c21324e8d7f35a0c.png

A couple things - is there anything I can put on this so it doesn't rust this time around? Now granted the old one lasted 30+ years, but I'm wondering about some sort of sealant etc. I don't know with the heat involved if anything will stick around that all that long, but I thought I'd ask. Or just paint it with high-temp paint? I'd like to keep the steel look around, and not have to paint it...

I looked on the bottom of the old one (it slid right out, that was nice)... it appears there are two bolts to hold it to the exhaust manifold. What can/should I put on the screws to ensure some day I can remove them if needed? What high-temp anti-seize? In my research it seems they are 5/16" x 3/4" -18... can anyone confirm? Thanks!

If I see another one on eBay, I'll be sure to post it on the Marketplace ASAP.