Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

OK, update and a couple questions. I got the radiator support out - it was more difficult than I would have liked as a J-Clip broke from the plastic wheel well to radiator support while I was trying to get all the screws out, so the screw was just spinning (I marinated everything first in PB Blaster, but still happened)

So, my first question is does anyone have a preferred source for these clips?

And, I'm looking at getting a new A/C condenser. On Rock Auto, there are three available:

GPD 3605C

OSC 3605

APDI/PRO 7013605

When I Google these, people complain about having to modify the radiator support to get it to fit. Any feedback from you folks on this?

Pic with support removed - looks like I can clean/scrub more now. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Just sending a friendly ping, does anyone have experience with replacing the A/C condenser on these trucks? Or am I a trail blazer? haha

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sending a friendly ping, does anyone have experience with replacing the A/C condenser on these trucks? Or am I a trail blazer? haha

Nope not a trail blazer as I have done it and I am sure 1 or 2 others have also.

Do we have a FAQ or a "How To" in here :nabble_anim_confused:

When you order it for your truck what you will get will not be a bolt in.

You can send it back 100 times and you will keep getting the same thing.

They lumped all the part numbers together for our and think 87-92.

Now I did this a few years ago when I was putting the front of the truck together but just got my AC system working late this past summer.

The hoses all fit up to the new condenser and the top bolts in but its the bottom that gives a little trouble.

You have to space it out I think it was 1/4" as the tubes on the end hit the support IIRC.

Because the condenser is spaced out the lower part of the hood latch needs to be spaced out also.

This may also space out the grille a little but you cant tell by looking at it when together.

That about it from what I remember.

Dave ----

Nope not a trail blazer as I have done it and I am sure 1 or 2 others have also.

Do we have a FAQ or a "How To" in here :nabble_anim_confused:

When you order it for your truck what you will get will not be a bolt in.

You can send it back 100 times and you will keep getting the same thing.

They lumped all the part numbers together for our and think 87-92.

Now I did this a few years ago when I was putting the front of the truck together but just got my AC system working late this past summer.

The hoses all fit up to the new condenser and the top bolts in but its the bottom that gives a little trouble.

You have to space it out I think it was 1/4" as the tubes on the end hit the support IIRC.

Because the condenser is spaced out the lower part of the hood latch needs to be spaced out also.

This may also space out the grille a little but you cant tell by looking at it when together.

That about it from what I remember.

Dave ----

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't seen much in the way of comments about fitment before, so thanks for answering. Now I know that it'll take some extra work on my part, I'll be sure to put comments back into this thread with pictures if possible. By space out, do you mean I need to put some sort of shim on when attaching the condenser, or will I need to actually cut the radiator support up to make room for the tubes?

I agree, it'd be nice to maybe have a "matrix" of sorts where users can search for a part type then part number, and maybe see notes or links to threads that mention that part number? It'd be a nightmare to maintain, but it'd sure be cool to not get the same questions over and over.

AKA can 35's fit on stock suspension? :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't seen much in the way of comments about fitment before, so thanks for answering. Now I know that it'll take some extra work on my part, I'll be sure to put comments back into this thread with pictures if possible. By space out, do you mean I need to put some sort of shim on when attaching the condenser, or will I need to actually cut the radiator support up to make room for the tubes?

I agree, it'd be nice to maybe have a "matrix" of sorts where users can search for a part type then part number, and maybe see notes or links to threads that mention that part number? It'd be a nightmare to maintain, but it'd sure be cool to not get the same questions over and over.

AKA can 35's fit on stock suspension? :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

No cutting of the radiator support.

I used small steel pipe cut to think 1/4" as a spacer and got longer bolts.

You pull the bottom of the condenser out put the spacer in place and use the longer bolts to hold everything in place.

I don't know if I can get pictures now with the front all together or not but will look when I have time.

Dave ----

No cutting of the radiator support.

I used small steel pipe cut to think 1/4" as a spacer and got longer bolts.

You pull the bottom of the condenser out put the spacer in place and use the longer bolts to hold everything in place.

I don't know if I can get pictures now with the front all together or not but will look when I have time.

Dave ----

No worries, Dave. If you stumble upon them, great! If not, your description will get me in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh I see, thanks for this. Seems pretty easy. (Famous last words)

Today I was looking around as how much I needed to clean the frame before trying to paint it.

I came across this on the passenger side, near the exhaust manifold. A little concerning. Does anyone have an idea what this was attached to before? :nabble_anim_confused:

0BA8E2F6-64E0-4E18-AAF9-478896557C12.jpeg.1730d52250f49cb49165b26d4068f2ed.jpeg

Today I was looking around as how much I needed to clean the frame before trying to paint it.

I came across this on the passenger side, near the exhaust manifold. A little concerning. Does anyone have an idea what this was attached to before? :nabble_anim_confused:

Chris - That's probably the fuel tank vent line going to the charcoal cannister, which would have set right below the battery. My guess is that it has been removed that the line cut.