Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

I do use a really long impact wobble extension to get to them

Work them off and go back on if you feel too much binding.

You don't want to snap that bolt!

One thing I notice in the photos above is that the old one is gray and the new one black.

Don't confuse sensors with senders.

Sensors have a threshold, more like a switch, while senders vary resistance continuously.

I don't know that is your case, but it is something to be mindful of.

I wish Ford had used an entirely different NPT size so these couldn't be confused.

But I've seen it a lot over at FTE.

Thanks for the tip, Jim. How can I verify? I couldn't find an engineering/part number on the old sensor/(sender?) The sensor is 3/8 NPT while the other fittings are 1/2". I had to put a reducer in for the sensor to plug into the tee.

This is a CA truck so I have all sorts of extra goodies and sometimes its hard for me to find them in the parts catalog, etc.

I do my best to look, but I know there is an army of Ford librarians that may be able to help as well. :)

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tip, Jim. How can I verify? I couldn't find an engineering/part number on the old sensor/(sender?) The sensor is 3/8 NPT while the other fittings are 1/2". I had to put a reducer in for the sensor to plug into the tee.

This is a CA truck so I have all sorts of extra goodies and sometimes its hard for me to find them in the parts catalog, etc.

I do my best to look, but I know there is an army of Ford librarians that may be able to help as well. :)

OK, I lied. I found it. It was covered in grime.

The number on the sensor is: E4AF-12A648-AA

It comes up on Google but I gotta run, will fill everyone in later

Yes, I can see the bushing you used.

Ford could have eliminated all confusion by using two different sizes.

If you look in the EVTM I think you'll see that one has a white/red wire and the other is red/white.

I'm going to check now....

So that is the sensor.

Black with a white trace, and light green with a yellow trace.

My bad....

It is R/W for water temp and W/R for oil pressure.

Hey, I appreciate the double check! Nothing worse than finding out you ordered the wrong thing!

I had already replaced the sender for the coolant temp (for the gauge) about a year ago, but I should have thought this through one more time just to make sure apples were still apples.

I think what I installed is correct, I'm sure the ECU will let me know if that's not the case. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Hey, I appreciate the double check! Nothing worse than finding out you ordered the wrong thing!

I had already replaced the sender for the coolant temp (for the gauge) about a year ago, but I should have thought this through one more time just to make sure apples were still apples.

I think what I installed is correct, I'm sure the ECU will let me know if that's not the case. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

At any rate you've done a great job working around 'unavailable' parts, and hopefully whatever leak or problem you had with your old one. :nabble_smiley_good:

460's with A.I.R. pumps have a similar predicament, with a heater core return line that fixes to the passenger side head and snakes down behind the pump bracket.

I think I found the last one in the country when I swapped engines in 2008.

Paid it forward when I 'desmogged' my truck and bought the L&L alternator bracket instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I appreciate it. You got me on the right track, so thanks for your help!

OK, update and a couple questions. I got the radiator support out - it was more difficult than I would have liked as a J-Clip broke from the plastic wheel well to radiator support while I was trying to get all the screws out, so the screw was just spinning (I marinated everything first in PB Blaster, but still happened)

So, my first question is does anyone have a preferred source for these clips?

And, I'm looking at getting a new A/C condenser. On Rock Auto, there are three available:

GPD 3605C

OSC 3605

APDI/PRO 7013605

When I Google these, people complain about having to modify the radiator support to get it to fit. Any feedback from you folks on this?

Pic with support removed - looks like I can clean/scrub more now. :nabble_smiley_uh:

IMG_1682.jpg.17ce246f441cd4037d6a8fd4a29a78b8.jpg