Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Thanks Jim. Just to be clear, I meant electrically (open circuit or something).

I also discovered an old problem, a broken vacuum hose (pic below, you can see the broken portion as well). I know the line is hooked up to the HVAC controls, but it seems like a bear to feed a new line from the cab to where those two lines come into the engine compartment. The line is a little brittle so I'd like to replace it, but do you or anyone else have tips on how to feed a new line through? It comes up from the cab way in the corner behind where the heater core is when installed.

Chris,

I can't think of anything that might be open electrically that you'd need to drive the truck.

Far as I can tell, it's a boilerplate CYA warning about pinching or chafing wires.

I see you've spliced that line once already.

Steve (55 Pete) has suggested the nylon line used in semi cabs as replacement.

I would definitely tape something to the old line (new line if possible) so you can draw it through as you extract the broken one.

My Bricknose has those lines passing through up near the heater hose connections, but I bet you can get a better look at them in the cab when you remove the glove box.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

I can't think of anything that might be open electrically that you'd need to drive the truck.

Far as I can tell, it's a boilerplate CYA warning about pinching or chafing wires.

I see you've spliced that line once already.

Steve (55 Pete) has suggested the nylon line used in semi cabs as replacement.

I would definitely tape something to the old line (new line if possible) so you can draw it through as you extract the broken one.

My Bricknose has those lines passing through up near the heater hose connections, but I bet you can get a better look at them in the cab when you remove the glove box.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. I figured, but I didn't know if there was some tribal knowledge I was missing.

I have the whole interior torn apart - no dash, glove box, anything. I'll play around with it and tug a bit, I'd rather replace the line. The PO did the splice (but it was disconnected when I got the truck). I reconnected it and all the sudden the blend door worked a lot better, so I'd like to keep it working. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. I figured, but I didn't know if there was some tribal knowledge I was missing.

I have the whole interior torn apart - no dash, glove box, anything. I'll play around with it and tug a bit, I'd rather replace the line. The PO did the splice (but it was disconnected when I got the truck). I reconnected it and all the sudden the blend door worked a lot better, so I'd like to keep it working. :nabble_smiley_beam:

What size inner diameter line do you suppose that is?

What size inner diameter line do you suppose that is?

I think you need to go by outer diameter.

The plastic line fits into rubber couplers or fittings at each component of the system.

My caliper tells me it is 0.140 OD, and a drill bit tells me it is #53.... or 0.059" ID

Hope this helps. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think you need to go by outer diameter.

The plastic line fits into rubber couplers or fittings at each component of the system.

My caliper tells me it is 0.140 OD, and a drill bit tells me it is #53.... or 0.059" ID

Hope this helps. :nabble_smiley_good:

Mine broke in that rubber grommet, doors working the day before then stopped?

It took a bit to track down as it was "IN" the grommet!

IIRC I pushed the plastic lines out and forced 2 rubber hose as the pass thru the grommet as the plastic lines inside were in good shape think the motor bay side was also so just used rubber hose.

It was not a fun job LOL

I have 2 new check valves and my factory one that don't check :nabble_smiley_angry:

So every time the motor is under heavy load I loose my vent air.

Dave ----

Mine broke in that rubber grommet, doors working the day before then stopped?

It took a bit to track down as it was "IN" the grommet!

IIRC I pushed the plastic lines out and forced 2 rubber hose as the pass thru the grommet as the plastic lines inside were in good shape think the motor bay side was also so just used rubber hose.

It was not a fun job LOL

I have 2 new check valves and my factory one that don't check :nabble_smiley_angry:

So every time the motor is under heavy load I loose my vent air.

Dave ----

Thanks guys, we shall see! I found some tubing from a scientific site of all places - it's hard to find plastic tubing that small of a diameter. It's a pretty close match, I'll let you know if it works out. Should be here tomorrow....

Thanks guys, we shall see! I found some tubing from a scientific site of all places - it's hard to find plastic tubing that small of a diameter. It's a pretty close match, I'll let you know if it works out. Should be here tomorrow....

Amazon has a whole section, and they pretty much absorbed Small Parts Company.

Another good source for stuff like that is McMaster Carr.

016 doesn't seem like a lot too big.Hopefully the rubber fittings are resilient enough! :nabble_smiley_good:
We shall see!  Kind of a shot in the dark but it was only eight bucks. Thanks for the measurements - I gotta add calipers to my tool wish list. 

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote: