Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

However, the junk Cardone P/S pump whines louder than my exhaust. I think the Lee CII P/S pump replacement is next on my list...

Man, I tell you, even expansive the Lee was one of my best move while restoring Big Brother.

So quiet. And plug’n play!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the junk Cardone P/S pump whines louder than my exhaust. I think the Lee CII P/S pump replacement is next on my list...

Man, I tell you, even expansive the Lee was one of my best move while restoring Big Brother.

So quiet. And plug’n play!

Great to hear! Hopefully I can get that done this summer.

• 3 months later...

Great to hear! Hopefully I can get that done this summer.

Some updates:

Replaced the turn signal switch connector (thanks Gary!)

Took my truck to a glass shop to see what they could do to restore the rubber/glass channels. They said they couldn't help, but the owner was really nice and I got some good advice on various restoration things like how to remove water spots from windows. The water spots have been there since I was 18, and that's been a minute! (Hint, window cleaner and #0000 steel wool, I've tried it and it works great)

I dug into the MPC and figured out the part numbers for the lower glass channel and the felt (called "Window Filler" in the MPC. I found the felt and the channel on Green Sales. Ordered up!

My friend is printing a new version of my brake pedal cruise adapter (keeps vacuum from being let out of the system until brake is applied), I should be able to hopefully try that out this weekend. I got one of a Bricknose in a local junkyard, and while it's not the same, it is a good starting point.

I found a NOS fuel tank sender on eBay and I've installed it. I've tried the Spectra and it works until 1/2 tank so far, then falls like a rock. I've bent the rod and played all the games, and it just doesn't work to my satisfaction. Hopefully the NOS one works better over the next few weeks (that's the expectation).

I spent some of my play money on the window parts and the fuel sender, so the new P/S pump will have to wait a month or two. And, I have to buy jack stands and a floor jack. I had borrowed my friend's for way too long and felt guilty about it (he didn't mention it, I did). Time to invest some in my own gear in that area. So, that will be some more money to invest before I can jack the front of the truck up and replace the crummy pump with the new one that is $400...

Some updates:

Replaced the turn signal switch connector (thanks Gary!)

Took my truck to a glass shop to see what they could do to restore the rubber/glass channels. They said they couldn't help, but the owner was really nice and I got some good advice on various restoration things like how to remove water spots from windows. The water spots have been there since I was 18, and that's been a minute! (Hint, window cleaner and #0000 steel wool, I've tried it and it works great)

I dug into the MPC and figured out the part numbers for the lower glass channel and the felt (called "Window Filler" in the MPC. I found the felt and the channel on Green Sales. Ordered up!

My friend is printing a new version of my brake pedal cruise adapter (keeps vacuum from being let out of the system until brake is applied), I should be able to hopefully try that out this weekend. I got one of a Bricknose in a local junkyard, and while it's not the same, it is a good starting point.

I found a NOS fuel tank sender on eBay and I've installed it. I've tried the Spectra and it works until 1/2 tank so far, then falls like a rock. I've bent the rod and played all the games, and it just doesn't work to my satisfaction. Hopefully the NOS one works better over the next few weeks (that's the expectation).

I spent some of my play money on the window parts and the fuel sender, so the new P/S pump will have to wait a month or two. And, I have to buy jack stands and a floor jack. I had borrowed my friend's for way too long and felt guilty about it (he didn't mention it, I did). Time to invest some in my own gear in that area. So, that will be some more money to invest before I can jack the front of the truck up and replace the crummy pump with the new one that is $400...

I hope the window rubber and channels works for you. If not, I've had good luck with the aftermarket stuff from the various vendors. But the NOS stuff may be better.

The brake pedal piece might be a big help for people, so you should consider selling it.

On the fuel level sender, if the Spectra provides a signal continuously, meaning that it doesn't go "open" at the 1/2 tank point, you could install a MeterMatch. It provides 3 set points: full, 1/2, and empty. So you fill the tank and go into setup mode and turn the dial until your gauge shows Full. Same thing for 1/2 tank and empty. But don't forget to hit Save after each setting.

You wire the unit to switched power and then put it in the wire going to the gauge. Mine really works well to translate from the 90's sending unit to the Bullnose gauge.

I hope the window rubber and channels works for you. If not, I've had good luck with the aftermarket stuff from the various vendors. But the NOS stuff may be better.

The outer gaskets and molding are easy enough to find, but since my sliding windows are tough to move back and forth, it is the glass run/felt that needs to be replaced (well, along with all the normal gasket rubber etc).

The glass guy told me that the felt channel (E3TZ-10422B68-B) has no third party alternative. He says the felt in the channels is 1/4" and the smallest these days is 3/8" that you can buy. I don't know if that's true or not, but he seemed like he was trying to help. Anyway, I should get the parts in the mail in a day or two and we will see. I may just try to rehab the window on my own.

If anyone else is looking for sliding window felt, try Green Sales. They have 22 more of the E3TZ-10422B68-B felts.

And thanks for the MeterMatch suggestion, that seems like a way to smooth out the peculiarities of the different senders. I may order another brass float for when the NOS unit float gives up the ghost (like the original did when I was a kid)