Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got my correct pair of radiator mounts, it's been a long day so maybe I'm going to get the dunce cap...

The nubs on the bottom of the insulators seem to orient themselves in such a way that the "trough" of the insulators that the radiator would sit in is facing outwards, instead of inwards. The nubs insert into the radiator support itself and are keyed in such a way that you can't swap one side for the other or orient them in another way. I don't have a "before" picture, but this seems odd. Thoughts?

Resolution achieved with a razor blade:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Champion-radiator-install-tp104218.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just catching those interested up with what I've been up to.

I've painted the interior sheet metal/floor pan and doors with the original color paint (3L). Don't mind all the tape - just there for masking and to keep wires off the floor as I painted.

IMG_3187-1.jpg.eecb2756d43e33c7dacc5d3b1fc4ea7a.jpg

I've also wired in the push-button for my electric fuel pump (to get fuel to the carb for a few seconds after long sits between starts)

Today I hope to lubricate the window regulators - they aren't bad, but can probably use some new grease.

I have my SEM paint on order form Vinylpro for the dash/interior plastic, that should hopefully be here by the weekend. I will paint the dash and then reinstall the instrument cluster, and try to start 'er up. (Been about 18 months at this point) ​My daughter helped me change the oil last weekend.

Once I confirm things are OK at the front of the truck, I will continue to paint the rest of the interior. I also have Dynamat to lay down on the floor and door panels.

I have also gotten the stock wheels from Rob (Sac79 - thanks Rob!) which I will be taking to get blasted and powder coated, I'll post more on that as it develops.

The basic plan is to finish the interior minus carpet and new speaker wiring, then move onto fixing the rear half of the truck. That mainly involves new bed wood, replacing one crossmember, and fixing a leaky diff.

OK, now that I've put all that out there, I am now accountable to actually do it! Still having fun though. :nabble_smiley_good:

Just catching those interested up with what I've been up to.

I've painted the interior sheet metal/floor pan and doors with the original color paint (3L). Don't mind all the tape - just there for masking and to keep wires off the floor as I painted.

I've also wired in the push-button for my electric fuel pump (to get fuel to the carb for a few seconds after long sits between starts)

Today I hope to lubricate the window regulators - they aren't bad, but can probably use some new grease.

I have my SEM paint on order form Vinylpro for the dash/interior plastic, that should hopefully be here by the weekend. I will paint the dash and then reinstall the instrument cluster, and try to start 'er up. (Been about 18 months at this point) ​My daughter helped me change the oil last weekend.

Once I confirm things are OK at the front of the truck, I will continue to paint the rest of the interior. I also have Dynamat to lay down on the floor and door panels.

I have also gotten the stock wheels from Rob (Sac79 - thanks Rob!) which I will be taking to get blasted and powder coated, I'll post more on that as it develops.

The basic plan is to finish the interior minus carpet and new speaker wiring, then move onto fixing the rear half of the truck. That mainly involves new bed wood, replacing one crossmember, and fixing a leaky diff.

OK, now that I've put all that out there, I am now accountable to actually do it! Still having fun though. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ok, you are accountable. But in what timeframe? We just want to help you along. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, it looks good! You are doing a really thorough job, and the truck is going to be a pleasure to drive when you are done. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ok, you are accountable. But in what timeframe? We just want to help you along. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, it looks good! You are doing a really thorough job, and the truck is going to be a pleasure to drive when you are done. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, I completed about half my goals for September that I set for myself. In my life, that’s pretty good. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I’d like to get the dash reinstalled, the truck started, and the Dynamat laid in October. I’m guessing the bed and rear end will keep me busy through the rest of the year. After that, shake the bugs out and hope for next paint next year.

I’m trying to be thorough. It is my Dads truck afterall, and he was a perfectionist. The 16 year old me would have shaken his head. But, turns out the older I get the more like my Dad I become. I’m ok with that... Now my kids just shake their head at me working on this old thing. The family is behind me at the end of the day, even if they secretly wonder when the Amazon and UPS deliveries will stop.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

While I have the dash out, I'm wondering if I should replace the blend door. I think it is working still and I will verify once I have the engine running (as I'll have vacuum to test). It works though - leave it, or replace? I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway :nabble_smiley_blush:

While I have the dash out, I'm wondering if I should replace the blend door. I think it is working still and I will verify once I have the engine running (as I'll have vacuum to test). It works though - leave it, or replace? I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway :nabble_smiley_blush:

They are a pain to change later, but easy now. I would replace it, for sure. And I’d use a piano hinge so it won’t break.

They are a pain to change later, but easy now. I would replace it, for sure. And I’d use a piano hinge so it won’t break.

OK, I'll do that. I'll buy the piano hinge etc. In the meantime, I've ordered the SEM paint from Vinyl Pro so I can reinstall my dash (and paint everything else, too)

I'm getting new flooring in my house next week, and I probably won't make any headway on the truck until the dust settles from that... there goes my accountability. :nabble_smiley_angry: