Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

Maybe someone used it as a body shim just because it was handy? I would sit it aside and use it to level the core support if needed :nabble_smiley_beam:

Yeah, it's possible! I try to be really carefully but I guess I can't expect something to not slip through the cracks.

And let's not talk about putting the dash back in.. that's a big baggie of screws and a couple of years later. (shudder)

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's possible! I try to be really carefully but I guess I can't expect something to not slip through the cracks.

And let's not talk about putting the dash back in.. that's a big baggie of screws and a couple of years later. (shudder)

I got the Rad Support mounted today, as well as the RH fender so I can start hooking up wiring again etc. When I put the fender back on, I applied some nice thick felt (like the kind you put under chairs to prevent scuffs/scrapes), as I couldn't find a good rubber substitute. I read later to take old hose and flatten it, but I think what I have will work.

Better yet, the bottom of the fender now aligns much better with the edge of the door (doesn't stick out)!

Somehow I ordered two LH radiator insulators... doh. So I have another order from Dennis Carpenter on the way with a RH insulator a few more goodies like a new cluster lens (they make them for clusters with tripometers now!) and correct (Argent) headlight doors. Gotta justify that shipping cost! :nabble_smiley_grin:

I test mounted the new GPD 3605C A/C condenser (from RockAuto). Frankly, the fit sucks. I didn't expect a perfect fit based on issues people had with the Spectra, but I can't get it even close (the tube on the bottom passenger side causes bigger problems than I've seen people have with the Spectra). I'll take a deep breath and try again. If I make it sorta fit on the bottom, it's too high to even get under the lip of the radiator support. It just occurred to me that I can probably cut down the bottom brackets and drill new holes. I'm not wanting to really do all that, but I realize I may not have much recourse.

Unfortunately I'm way past the time where I can return it, so I'll have to make it work, or eat it. (Or, someone else is welcome to it, I'll give them a big break off what I paid for it or something?)

I have an email into the makers of this condenser, it seems they are trying to make "the real deal" but I think it's a long shot... (https://www.ebay.com/itm/182746243327) I'm hoping the picture is wrong as it's clearly not correct.

I got the Rad Support mounted today, as well as the RH fender so I can start hooking up wiring again etc. When I put the fender back on, I applied some nice thick felt (like the kind you put under chairs to prevent scuffs/scrapes), as I couldn't find a good rubber substitute. I read later to take old hose and flatten it, but I think what I have will work.

Better yet, the bottom of the fender now aligns much better with the edge of the door (doesn't stick out)!

Somehow I ordered two LH radiator insulators... doh. So I have another order from Dennis Carpenter on the way with a RH insulator a few more goodies like a new cluster lens (they make them for clusters with tripometers now!) and correct (Argent) headlight doors. Gotta justify that shipping cost! :nabble_smiley_grin:

I test mounted the new GPD 3605C A/C condenser (from RockAuto). Frankly, the fit sucks. I didn't expect a perfect fit based on issues people had with the Spectra, but I can't get it even close (the tube on the bottom passenger side causes bigger problems than I've seen people have with the Spectra). I'll take a deep breath and try again. If I make it sorta fit on the bottom, it's too high to even get under the lip of the radiator support. It just occurred to me that I can probably cut down the bottom brackets and drill new holes. I'm not wanting to really do all that, but I realize I may not have much recourse.

Unfortunately I'm way past the time where I can return it, so I'll have to make it work, or eat it. (Or, someone else is welcome to it, I'll give them a big break off what I paid for it or something?)

I have an email into the makers of this condenser, it seems they are trying to make "the real deal" but I think it's a long shot... (https://www.ebay.com/itm/182746243327) I'm hoping the picture is wrong as it's clearly not correct.

Well, even two steps forward and one back is progress. And, as Jim says, progress is good!

Bummer about the condenser though. Hope you can get it installed without too much trouble. I remember it was a bit of an issue on Big Blue as I put a 1990 condenser in an '85 radiator support and it wasn't a perfect fit. And I do think I had to drill new holes for the brackets.

Well, even two steps forward and one back is progress. And, as Jim says, progress is good!

Bummer about the condenser though. Hope you can get it installed without too much trouble. I remember it was a bit of an issue on Big Blue as I put a 1990 condenser in an '85 radiator support and it wasn't a perfect fit. And I do think I had to drill new holes for the brackets.

Oh yes, I forgot. I'm not sure I'd want something that can retain moisture as my spacer. Will it cause rust to form there by keeping water on the metal?

I've read all kinds of story's on the poor fit of these replacement condensers. I had considered a new one in the rebuild of my AC system but was detoured by this kind of stuff. I hope this works out for you, please continue to post on the subject.

Oh yes, I forgot. I'm not sure I'd want something that can retain moisture as my spacer. Will it cause rust to form there by keeping water on the metal?

Good point, Gary. What are other people using? I've tried to find old hard rubber tiles around here, like the kind with that nifty asbestos in it haha but no luck. What do you think about using hose material? I can put a light coat grease on the felt to serve as a moisture barrier, but maybe that'll cause too much play and sliding around.

I've read all kinds of story's on the poor fit of these replacement condensers. I had considered a new one in the rebuild of my AC system but was detoured by this kind of stuff. I hope this works out for you, please continue to post on the subject.

Will do, I'll take a more critical look today about what I can do to make it fit. Maybe I'll just take the brackets off completely if I can and start from there to visualize how the brackets need to be modded to fit.

Will do, I'll take a more critical look today about what I can do to make it fit. Maybe I'll just take the brackets off completely if I can and start from there to visualize how the brackets need to be modded to fit.

I went down the spectra route as well but never was happy so ended up sticking with the original.

For the shims I went to Lowes and grabbed a few of the vinyl plank samples in various thickness. Then used a scrollsaw to cut the pattern out.

Just now I took a WFH break and took the bottom brackets off the GPD 3605C A/C condenser, to see how it fit with some brackets out of the way. It *almost* fits except for this silly bend in the tubing. On a hunch, I chose the GPD because of all the issues I'd heard of with the Spectra unit, so maybe I'm a trailblazer (or A/C cannon fodder with a possibly useless condenser in my garage)

I'm wondering if I could try a pipe bender? It'd be an expensive first try at that though... Depending how I angle things, you can see the offending tube behind or in front of the radiator support. In some of the pictures, the condenser should be shifted slightly towards the driver side, which makes bending the tubing a little more plausible.

IMG_2984.thumb.jpg.987931b1b73595c1b4f413c420657554.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg.47fc87d3f227c45f67c04e8313c59a82.jpg

IMG_2988.thumb.jpg.eb01e16d568934d8a6311b5de58c81cf.jpg

Just now I took a WFH break and took the bottom brackets off the GPD 3605C A/C condenser, to see how it fit with some brackets out of the way. It *almost* fits except for this silly bend in the tubing. On a hunch, I chose the GPD because of all the issues I'd heard of with the Spectra unit, so maybe I'm a trailblazer (or A/C cannon fodder with a possibly useless condenser in my garage)

I'm wondering if I could try a pipe bender? It'd be an expensive first try at that though... Depending how I angle things, you can see the offending tube behind or in front of the radiator support. In some of the pictures, the condenser should be shifted slightly towards the driver side, which makes bending the tubing a little more plausible.

Can't recall if this was already referenced or not but some info: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1522843-how-to-and-product-review-spectra-ac-condenser.html

I am not sure what would give if you try to bend it. Afraid it would stress and fracture where the side pipe goes into the main unit.