Bullnose Forums

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske

No worries Gary, I completely understand, I appreciate you taking the time. It just pushes me to dig in a little deeper.

As no-one said "NO, DON'T DO THAT!" :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: I'll keep moving forward!

It is all in the way we phrase the question. Just make sure that a lack of response means "do it!" :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all in the way we phrase the question. Just make sure that a lack of response means "do it!" :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, time for a "what would you do" ....

I'm almost about ready to mount the RH fender back on and hook up the vacuum lines and wiring connectors to try an engine start. The other reason for mounting the RH fender is so I can reattach the radiator support with the new radiator etc because you need a radiator for running an engine, right? :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Would you guys mount the A/C condenser and radiator where possible to the support FIRST, then put the support back onto the truck? Or install the support first then mount cooling components onto the support after it's back on the truck?

I'm also going to put the 90 degree petcock on the radiator before mounting it (good suggestion from Scott/kramtocs)

Ok, time for a "what would you do" ....

I'm almost about ready to mount the RH fender back on and hook up the vacuum lines and wiring connectors to try an engine start. The other reason for mounting the RH fender is so I can reattach the radiator support with the new radiator etc because you need a radiator for running an engine, right? :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Would you guys mount the A/C condenser and radiator where possible to the support FIRST, then put the support back onto the truck? Or install the support first then mount cooling components onto the support after it's back on the truck?

I'm also going to put the 90 degree petcock on the radiator before mounting it (good suggestion from Scott/kramtocs)

I'd put the support on first. Then mount the components. Not only would I, that's what I did.

I'd put the support on first. Then mount the components. Not only would I, that's what I did.

Ok, earlier in this thread there were some question marks regarding the fit of the new A/C condenser, maybe I'll at least lay that on top of the support to visualize what changes are needed for when it's time to mount it for real.

I just wanted to bounce this off everyone to see if fitting everything first to the support was a "work smarter, not harder" approach. I agree mounting the support first is the path that comes to mind first...

I also did the same thing.

Besides the support gets heavy with the stuff bolted to it but the BIG ONE - what if it got away from you and fell the radiator & condenser could get damaged.

Dave ----

I also did the same thing.

Besides the support gets heavy with the stuff bolted to it but the BIG ONE - what if it got away from you and fell the radiator & condenser could get damaged.

Dave ----

Yeah, I thought of that too.

Thanks to you both for talking me out of of it. :)

Yeah, I thought of that too.

Thanks to you both for talking me out of of it. :)

OK, next question. So I started digging through my box of parts where I have different parts of the truck (mainly bolts/fasteners, etc) bagged and tagged.

I found my "RH Fender" bag, and I have a shim in there that is the same kind of shim that helps level out the radiator support. I am kicking myself because I don't remember where this was installed on the fender.

So, my question is has anyone seen this sort of shim installed on a fender, and where was it installed? I can play with it but thought I'd ask.

Well worth it :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you talking about the tear drop shaped shim(s)?

Yep, those are the ones. See here:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1997-Ford-Bronco-F-Series-Truck-Core-Support-Shims-Pair/productinfo/331036/

It's possible it somehow just made it into that bag o' parts, but I don't think so...

Yep, those are the ones. See here:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1997-Ford-Bronco-F-Series-Truck-Core-Support-Shims-Pair/productinfo/331036/

It's possible it somehow just made it into that bag o' parts, but I don't think so...

Maybe someone used it as a body shim just because it was handy? I would sit it aside and use it to level the core support if needed :nabble_smiley_beam: