Bullnose Forums

Flareside Tail Lights

ckuske

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Ford+chassis+cab+tail+lights+NOS&_sacat=6028

All seem to be the same with clear plastic on the bottom. Instead of using black tape, as mentioned earlier, what about painting [either inside over the clear area or a uniform coating on the outside]?

Use the silver foil duct tape.

The acrylic adhesive is tenacious!

It's opaque (aluminum) and will double as a reflector inside the housing.

All seem to be the same with clear plastic on the bottom. Instead of using black tape, as mentioned earlier, what about painting [either inside over the clear area or a uniform coating on the outside]?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, Cory!

On the brightness, I'm amazed at how much brighter properly done LED brake and tail lights are than regular bulbs. However, the Styleside taillights don't work well with the LED's I've tried and aren't as bright as a regular bulb.

So I'm glad you found lights that were well done for a Flareside. I hope we can find good ones for the Stylesides.

Gary,

The lights I installed have the same old incandescent bulbs (1156/1157) as my original lights, but the big difference appears to be in the lenses. The 35 year old lenses do not let nearly as much light pass through...they're very dim/dull. The new lenses are glossy and bright.

In any case, these lights were a cheap solution that are as close to the originals as one can buy (Not that I care about that really...but if one did care...)

Gary,

The lights I installed have the same old incandescent bulbs (1156/1157) as my original lights, but the big difference appears to be in the lenses. The 35 year old lenses do not let nearly as much light pass through...they're very dim/dull. The new lenses are glossy and bright.

In any case, these lights were a cheap solution that are as close to the originals as one can buy (Not that I care about that really...but if one did care...)

Cory - Thanks for the clarification. My misunderstanding.

• 5 months later...

Cory - Thanks for the clarification. My misunderstanding.

Just a question, I ordered the original looking FORD tail lights for my 62 F100 from LMC. They were LED lights as well. Just cause I was boared, I looked up the same lights for an 86 step side ( know I will be corrected ) and they looked the same as the ones for my 62. The ones you are showing are square. I am asking because I don't know. Besides, I always liked the look of the original ford stepside tail lights from the 50's and 60's as they were unique only to ford

Couldn't you always "Paint it Black"?

If you scroll up the page a bit you'll see that I did exactly that. I bought Grote replacement lights that were almost identical to the originals. One thing I had to do was paint over that window on the driver's side.

Couldn't you always "Paint it Black"?

If you scroll up the page a bit you'll see that I did exactly that. I bought Grote replacement lights that were almost identical to the originals. One thing I had to do was paint over that window on the driver's side.

X2 on mine but I used foil tape on the inside to reflect the light back out.

I was thinking of the early Ford crest light but changed my mind.

Dave ----