Bullnose Forum

Help with AC lines

Hello Bullnose folks, I haven't posted here in quite a while, I have been sidetracked by too many other priorities...

I would like to get the AC working in my '81.  after poking around online and searching here, I decided to try a Sanden compressor and bought the adapter and mounted it up.  looks pretty good, but my old hoses will not connect up.  The Sanden compressor uses a different thread size mount for the O ring fittings, so I need new lines.  

I have figured out the thread size to the condenser and know the thread to the discharge line on the compressor so I believe I can get one made up.  The only fitting I can't find a reference to is the suction line where it attaches to the drier/accumulator.  It looks pretty large, but I have not been able to find the size.

Also, the only place that would build lines locally just closed down, any suggestions on a place I can order them online as they will have to be a custom build?

Yes it would be best if someone who has exactly done the same thing can walk you through it...

If you are looking for service port fittings, there are a few options I can recommend (I recently went through a 460 swap in my bronco and installed the FS-6 compressor from a bullnose in place of the York compressor the Bronco would have had originally)

All AC service port / hose fittings fall under this chart from a #6 - a #12 fitting and you probably just need adapters to translate from one size to another - 137_-_ac_hose_thread_fitting_chart.pdf (gpdtechtips.com)

1) MR FOMOCO MOTORCRAFT | eBay Stores - Call John. two-one-four-632-8206.. he might be able to hook you up with the correct service port fittings

2) 12-0056 - Fitting | for Sanden Style Compressor, Driver, Plain (oldairproducts.com) -- this looks like an option possibly, but it may not be the correct fitting size

3) Summit racing sells a collection of Vintage air U-Bend-Em lines that can help you move lines around or convert from one size to another size fitting - Vintage Air U-Bend-Em Refrigerant Lines - Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing

In my case it was a combination of getting the service ports from John and a U-Bend-Em line to REACH THE SHORT HOSE.

Edited by viven44

7 hours ago, Bronco638 said:

Ask Gary to send a message to inmate FuzzFace2 (Dave G.). He went thru the entire process with his '81 Flare Side. I'm pretty sure he can walk you thru when you need and how it all fits together.

You don't need anyone else to send a message on InVision.  Just type in the "@" character and then begin typing in the person's handle you want notified.  The system will show you a short list of members, the more you type the shorter it gets.  Click on the one you want and then post the message and that person will get an email with a link to the post.  Like this: @FuzzFace2

You may want to check with some of your older "hometown" auto parts stores if any exist anymore, i know NAPA in my town as of 10 years ago used to make all kinds of hoses from AC to hydraulic lines. You took them the ends you needed to adapt to and then told them how long they needed to be and they made them. Maybe even some tractor dealerships like deere or case Some of the kits from Vintage Air will work too, however you have to have someone that can crimp them. 

I too have an 81 with a dead AC, but with the cost of hose kits and compressors i have decided im going to go to the Junkyard and grab an entire serpentine setup off a newer 4.9 (i have 300) and if im lucky i can get the hoses too. Everything i have seen so far the hoses should work as long as i get the correct dryer. 

Edited by Robbz28

this is a great plan but get the whole pkg. leave all lines connected if you can. many times, I have pulled a sealed system and reinstalled it without losing refrigerant. 1993 should be the first year with 134a. even if you do take it apart, get all that you can or get all info that you can to be able to order components for the donor truck. all parts should be able to be purchased however the brackets are noy and its a ccw rotation so you will need the water pump also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat in tn said:

this is a great plan but get the whole pkg. leave all lines connected if you can. many times, I have pulled a sealed system and reinstalled it without losing refrigerant.

Amen!  I pulled the 1985 system out from under the hood of Big Blue and it is going into Dad's truck.  The system in Big Blue came out of Huck, the 1990 half-truck, in one piece.

Thanks everyone, I remember now how helpful everyone on here is!

I'll go back and search Fuzzface2, if I recall he has quite a build thread on here.  I think I found a shop the next town over about 45 miles, I believe someone that knows what they are doing can figure this out pretty easily.

If I can get the lines made, I am hoping the rest will be plug and play, but you know how hopes go...  I have a factory condenser, new dryer, new orifice.  I'll run the AC solvent through every part of the system several times, and cross my fingers it holds a vacuum!

Good to be back on here with all of you, will update my build thread if this works as planned!

• Like 1

Be sure to check out documentation at link below. You can check the instructions tab for specifications

HVAC Systems (garysgaragemahal.com)

From my mistakes, just need to stress the importance of the right amount of oil and refrigerant !!!

Not sure how much oil in the system the Sanden compressor needs. Would imagine 10oz or more total since you are flushing the system. (But the compressor usually comes with part of the oil needed...)

Refrigerant charge may be 3 lbs for a Bullnose F150. (My 78 bronco's system only wanted 2 lbs, first time around I did 3lbs as thats what I'm used to on bullnose systems. Sure enough with an overcharge it did not cool all the way down and the condenser ran really hot. After redoing it with the correct 2 lb charge it is significantly better!! I'm getting another 10-15F lower now.