Bullnose Forums

Drivers side exhaust routing

I'm looking for some suggestions on routing my dual exhaust. I want to route the drivers side exhaust on the same side as my transfer case/front drive shaft. I don't want to make a sharp 90 by transmission pan and then make another 90 to go along the passenger side. Any suggestions? If you have done this will you post pictures?

I have long tube headers installed.

Thanks

The factory exhaust system on the 1984-1987 460s was two pipes to the muffler located directly in front of the rear axle followed by a large single tail pipe.

On my 1977 F150, after I changed it from a 300 and C4 to a 390 and C6, I had the exhaust run down the right side of the truck. Left side crossed under the transmission extension housing (on a 4WD it may need to be further forward). I used two Corvair Turbo mufflers mounted with the long side up and had a short cross pipe just ahead of the mufflers. Tail pipes went down the right where the stock single exhaust ran and exited under the rear corner of the bed (I carried an 11 1/2 foot Wilderness slide-in camper in it).

Other than that, you can either run pipes outside the frame or deal with crossing under the truck twice.

The factory exhaust system on the 1984-1987 460s was two pipes to the muffler located directly in front of the rear axle followed by a large single tail pipe.

On my 1977 F150, after I changed it from a 300 and C4 to a 390 and C6, I had the exhaust run down the right side of the truck. Left side crossed under the transmission extension housing (on a 4WD it may need to be further forward). I used two Corvair Turbo mufflers mounted with the long side up and had a short cross pipe just ahead of the mufflers. Tail pipes went down the right where the stock single exhaust ran and exited under the rear corner of the bed (I carried an 11 1/2 foot Wilderness slide-in camper in it).

Other than that, you can either run pipes outside the frame or deal with crossing under the truck twice.

Yep.

I wouldn't run too tight to the midship tank.

You don't want it overflowing every time you fill up, and you definitely don't want the whole tank to boil

This is why people go with fender exit headers.

The rockers get hot, but the tank is safe.

Heres what the previous owner of my truck installed for my 6.9 diesel. Both tail pipes exit behind the right rear wheel.

I think that driver's side muffler is occupying the transfer case drop.

Interesting setup that I haven't seen before! 👍

Mufflers look like Corvair turbo mufflers (2 1/2" in and out).

I've been contemplating this for some time. Luckily, for you, your truck has the hydraulic master cylinder and therefore you have some header choices. Unfortunately, your truck has too much mechanical interference, on the driver's side, for an exhaust pipe/muffler.

If it were me, I'd run shortie headers with the cross-over pipe routed under the trans, like the factory Y pipe. There should be enough room to run dual pipes on the passenger side (above the trans x-member/support). I would think that one muffler will need to go under the rear of the cab and the second muffler would go under the front of the bed (or, use a dual in-dual out muffler). Then, run up and over the rear axle and exit however you wish.

I've been contemplating this for some time. Luckily, for you, your truck has the hydraulic master cylinder and therefore you have some header choices. Unfortunately, your truck has too much mechanical interference, on the driver's side, for an exhaust pipe/muffler.

If it were me, I'd run shortie headers with the cross-over pipe routed under the trans, like the factory Y pipe. There should be enough room to run dual pipes on the passenger side (above the trans x-member/support). I would think that one muffler will need to go under the rear of the cab and the second muffler would go under the front of the bed (or, use a dual in-dual out muffler). Then, run up and over the rear axle and exit however you wish.

Dave, that is essentially what I had my local exhaust shop build on my 1977 F150. Left side exhaust had the first muffler and the right side sat behind it.

Dave, that is essentially what I had my local exhaust shop build on my 1977 F150. Left side exhaust had the first muffler and the right side sat behind it.

Thanks for confirming Bill. If I had the ability to weld (even poorly), I'd fab a true dual system myself. Since I don't, I'm going with cast iron manifolds and stock Y pipe. I do plan to go from 2.25" tube to 2.5" after the Y pipe. The hope is that I'll get a little more scavenging with the tubing size increase. I have experience with a Cherry Bomb Salute muffler and plan to use one of those, under the cab. This will allow a side exit in front of the rear wheel.

I would think that the OP could have a true dual system with a little work or money...