Bullnose Forums

Brake Drums: New versus Refurb. OE

While I'm messing around swapping axles (from my parts axle to my truck's axle), I'm taking stock of what I'll need to refresh the rear brakes. All four of the OE drums seem to measure 1/8" to 3/16" under the maximum diameter (11.125") My local auto shop will cut drums. But, I'm wondering if it's worth it considering that new drums are ~$50.

I hadn't measured the drums when I called the shop but I'm guessing it'll cost at least $50 to chuck them and turn them (given that shop time is ~$125/hour). We all know that anything cast iron comes from the Far East and quality can be an issue. So, I'm torn.

Or, could I just put them back on and use them as is (after new shoes, hardware, etc.)?

I've had good luck with the cheap rotors and drums from RockAuto and other parts stores over the years. Based on my good experience, I would only consider taking drums or rotors to get turned if replacements weren't readily and cheaply available. But I do keep the old original ones just in case. I don't know why.

I've also even taken an angle grinder and knocked the lip off the end of worn rotors and drums, which I'm sure isn't recommended. If it was me and they aren't terrible, I'd reuse them.

I've had good luck with the cheap rotors and drums from RockAuto and other

parts stores over the years.

I bought some Raybestos drums for my '85 Ranger off of Amazon. They were no trouble. I might as well go the same route with the F-150 (AC Delco is ~$47. Bendix is ~$55).

If it was me and they aren't terrible, I'd reuse them.

I may try that. I'd just like to know if they're still round inside.