Bullnose Forums

Rear spring replacement resources?

I looked in the document section, and the Ford numbers are legit to the catalogs.

My question is, based on that part number, where would I find a correct replacement?

The catalogs I have seen offer pretty generic 3+1 1650# etc.

My top spring is good, and the +1 is good. The middle ones are broken.

I think my choice is either replace both sides with matching springs, or do you think that based on the specs in the Doc section, a qualified spring guy could repair the one side?

Thanks.

20240904_191632.thumb.jpg.406f296a05624836edebb4f35c754678.jpg

I do think a qualified spring guy (40 years ago that guy was named Leif! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:) could could repair/replace just one spring, but would likely need both (or the whole truck) because they can't know how much set the other side has taken and any numbers they might have are going to show the original arch, like it came the day it was sold.

I do think a qualified spring guy (40 years ago that guy was named Leif! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:) could could repair/replace just one spring, but would likely need both (or the whole truck) because they can't know how much set the other side has taken and any numbers they might have are going to show the original arch, like it came the day it was sold.

Years ago there was a company in Chesapeake VA, Spring Specialty that manufactured leaf springs to order. Apparently they are no longer around.

I found this website.

They are very specific about what is available for my truck.

Load capacities, bolt holes, stack height, etc., unlike other sites that just offer one universal replacement. I figure If I get this right, I can do just the one side. Worst case, I order the second one. No loss in shipping.

I am taking the measurements and ordering from them.

Because mine is a regular cab short bed, I bet that the lightest load rate after 2wd will work. Reasonable prices. Less that $200 including shipping.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/pages/search/?Number-of-Leaves/4(3-1)

I do think a qualified spring guy (40 years ago that guy was named Leif! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif) could could repair/replace just one spring, but would likely need both (or the whole truck) because they can't know how much set the other side has taken and any numbers they might have are going to show the original arch, like it came the day it was sold.

The arch is definitely an issue, but their specs and even specific as to sprung and unsprung bolt hole distances.

Example shown.

Screenshot_20240905_090512_Chrome.jpg.b8b56f0472715e30e1552e090eac8076.jpg

I bought Husky springs from RockAuto in 2017 and put them on my F250. I wanted a little stiffer spring, so I got ones that were rated higher. It looks like RockAuto has some 1655#, 1700#, and up available. No complaints about the Husky springs to date, although the truck only sees occasional use and towing.

On RockAuto's site, the Husky springs that I put on my 2wd F250 do have an part number interchange listing, so you may be able to locate the Ford part numbers in the catalog for your truck:

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 20260, 431111, E3TA5560UA, E3TAUA, E3TZ5560M, E4TA5560SA, E4TASA

The arch is definitely an issue, but their specs and even specific as to sprung and unsprung bolt hole distances.

Example shown.

This is exactly right, but springs will flatten out over time, so even if the length of the leaf (Leif? 😉) itself is correct eye to eye it will never be properly set wrt ride height if it isn't made to match the surviving spring.

I bought Husky springs from RockAuto in 2017 and put them on my F250. I wanted a little stiffer spring, so I got ones that were rated higher. It looks like RockAuto has some 1655#, 1700#, and up available. No complaints about the Husky springs to date, although the truck only sees occasional use and towing.

On RockAuto's site, the Husky springs that I put on my 2wd F250 do have an part number interchange listing, so you may be able to locate the Ford part numbers in the catalog for your truck:

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 20260, 431111, E3TA5560UA, E3TAUA, E3TZ5560M, E4TA5560SA, E4TASA

Wow, great. The numbers really help.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Just for clarification, if you're talking about the numbers that I posted, those were for the Husky 43803 springs that I bought. The Husky 43803 have a 2810# rating.

I did see these listed on RockAuto for an 83 F150 with the 5.8:

HUSKY SPRING 43965 Includes Bushings For Both Ends; 1655 lb Load Rating Info One of our most popular parts

Rear; 4WD; 3/1 = 4 Leaf, w/ 32-1/2" Back Half Spring Length (Only 2 Remaining)

And if you click on Info, you get measurements and OEM cross reference numbers:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6402285&cc=1121375&pt=7544&jsn=1088

Thanks.

regardless of which direction you chose to take. it is best to replace in pairs. the same exact spring new on one side with an aged one on the opposite side will NOT be the same. and bushings will all be new also. remember to do final torque after all is installed and sitting on the ground. hopefully with a few hundred lbs of weight sitting in the bed.