Bullnose Forums

Longshot - but does anyone know this truck (youtube link)

I thought about doing this to my '80 Flare Side (Cory, that was a nice truck!) but opted not to simply for budgetary reasons. I have not heard many negative comments regarding the drop beams. But, yeah, it appears as if the DJM parts will benefit from 'upgrading' the associated parts of the suspension (spindles, calipers, ball joints, etc.). If you can get your head around that, and source the parts, then I see no reason not to proceed. I have not yet seen my truck with a drivetrain in it and sitting on it's own wheels (when I got it the 351M/C6 was removed - engine gone, C6 in the bed). It's been on dollies since April and the 302/SROD is going in this weekend. If my truck ends up with a forward rake, I'm fine with that as that's what I liked growing up. YMMV.

If this is Walnut Glow and Sand Glow then this is what my truck looked like from the factory. I posted a comment on the YT video asking this question. Given that the previous comment was three years ago I don't expect a reply. But, in the video, they do say these are stock Ford colors.

I'm 40, and I like a forward rake too. Anything is better than the "Carolina Squat." MS recently banned the squat in July and I think defined it as the front having more than 4" height relative to the rear. As dumb as I think the squat looks, I'm not sure how I feel about a law against it. Who's to say what they'll ban next?

I'm interested in the drop beams for my 95 to Bullnose flareside project whenever I get around to it. I like the look of those steelie wheels also. Will be following this post to see what others have done!

MS recently banned the squat in July and I think defined

it as the front having more than 4" height relative to the rear. As dumb as

I think the squat looks, I'm not sure how I feel about a law against it.

Who's to say what they'll ban next?

You have got to be kidding me. They'll ban a 4+" squat but allow Fart Cans? What's going on down there?

MS recently banned the squat in July and I think defined

it as the front having more than 4" height relative to the rear. As dumb as

I think the squat looks, I'm not sure how I feel about a law against it.

Who's to say what they'll ban next?

You have got to be kidding me. They'll ban a 4+" squat but allow Fart Cans? What's going on down there?

According to Hemmings:

The main reason why squatted trucks are banned is for safety concerns, for both the owner and other drivers on the road. Lifting a vehicle in the front and aiming it toward the sky compromises the driver’s view, making it difficult to see over the dash. It can be difficult to see squatted trucks on the road at night because the headlights are aimed upward, which also impacts how much the driver can see. Since the truck is lifted in the front, it changes the contact point of the bumper in the event of a collision.

The extreme suspension modifications also cause a host of issues with the vehicle, like unstable steering geometry and additional stress on the suspension system, which can cause a much firmer ride. Unfortunately, life-threatening accidents involving squatted trucks have occurred and are most common than you may think. Actual data is difficult to find, but one example takes us to Raleigh, North Carolina, where a driver lost control of his truck during a Christmas parade and killed a young girl. Another example occurred two years ago in Virginia, when a 27-year-old man was killed in a head-on crash with the driver of a Carolina Squat truck while on his way to work in the early-morning.

But there is more to read on that page.

According to Hemmings:

The main reason why squatted trucks are banned is for safety concerns, for both the owner and other drivers on the road. Lifting a vehicle in the front and aiming it toward the sky compromises the driver’s view, making it difficult to see over the dash. It can be difficult to see squatted trucks on the road at night because the headlights are aimed upward, which also impacts how much the driver can see. Since the truck is lifted in the front, it changes the contact point of the bumper in the event of a collision.

The extreme suspension modifications also cause a host of issues with the vehicle, like unstable steering geometry and additional stress on the suspension system, which can cause a much firmer ride. Unfortunately, life-threatening accidents involving squatted trucks have occurred and are most common than you may think. Actual data is difficult to find, but one example takes us to Raleigh, North Carolina, where a driver lost control of his truck during a Christmas parade and killed a young girl. Another example occurred two years ago in Virginia, when a 27-year-old man was killed in a head-on crash with the driver of a Carolina Squat truck while on his way to work in the early-morning.

But there is more to read on that page.

That makes sense but I wonder how its enforced. And, I wonder how they agreed on the 4" measurement.

EDIT; after watching the embedded video, it seems as if there's a lack of science/testing/data involved....

That makes sense but I wonder how its enforced. And, I wonder how they agreed on the 4" measurement.

EDIT; after watching the embedded video, it seems as if there's a lack of science/testing/data involved....

I looked it up and confirmed that it is defined as 4" (edit - SQUAT) in MS. MS usually is pretty lenient on vehicle laws, we have no emissions and no annual inspections. Tinted windshields and front windows were a problem with law enforcement when those laws first came out, but I'm not aware of that being enforced much, if at all, anymore.

It could be that we have a lot of squatted vehicles. And I mean a lot. Drive past any high school parking lot, or the local car wash/Sonic hangouts, and they're everywhere.

And like I said, I do think it's a dumb trend that looks incredibly stupid. But I'm not sure how I feel about a law banning it. Who's to say someone one day won't decide that anything that deviates from a factory setting would be banned? I have oversized tires on one truck, a slightly lowered Chevelle, non-factory exhaust including no cats on more than one vehicle. And back to the original subject, I want to have a lowered bullnose similar to the stance of the brown truck above.