Bullnose Forums

Later model radiator

Need help find a thread on radiators. A while back I remember reading a thread on installing a later model radiator in our bullnoses. Cannot seem to find it. Any body have a link to the thread? Will the OBS radiators fit in Bullnoses?

Yes, but you'll need to find/make new brackets since you're pre-1985.

Look here in the site's documentation:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/radiator-support.html

(Tab "85+ Radiator in Earlier Support")

I did this to my '84 as part of deer damage repair:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Deer-killed-my-Bullnose-Mangled-the-front-tp103398p104572.html

I've had all sorts of fun finding a radiator that doesn't leak... been through one Liland Global (Rockauto) and two Champions (all are full-aluminum welded)... currently I have an eBay one (also welded aluminum) and so far (a few weeks) it's been fine (other than the provided radiator cap being way too high pressure- but I supplied my own instead).

If it's like my 4.9 you'll also need a new upper radiator hose as the inlet size is bigger on the later model radiator (3", same as the unchanged outlet size). My understanding is that other than being mirrored, the V8 and 4.9 radiators were/are identical.

Not sure if fan shrouds transfer... since I had to replace mine. I used a fiber-reinforced plastic one off a 1990 F150; the stock 1984 fan fit no problem. Then again, I'm on a 4.9, so if you're still using a stock clutch fan, be prepared.

Thanks

That is exactly what I read before. I have several donagr trucks nearby. Hopefully the cups are still there.

if you are getting into modifying the core support to hold a later model radiator. take a few minutes first and look over the core support for rust. no sense in going to the effort of welding in supports if the core support is not near perfect. mostly look at the bottom of the core support in front of the battery tray. many times, that area is toast on a forty-year-old truck.

if you are getting into modifying the core support to hold a later model radiator. take a few minutes first and look over the core support for rust. no sense in going to the effort of welding in supports if the core support is not near perfect. mostly look at the bottom of the core support in front of the battery tray. many times, that area is toast on a forty-year-old truck.

I had my core support out last year when I replaced the motor. Rust free. Very lucky for me frame and body are pretty much rust free.

I had my core support out last year when I replaced the motor. Rust free. Very lucky for me frame and body are pretty much rust free.

that is excellent. if the donor has good supports and the spacing can be replicated easily then it's a great option. is the width of the opening the same? some earlier models had the 4-5" narrower opening in the core support along with a narrower radiator. normally the wider opening is wider on the driver side.

that is excellent. if the donor has good supports and the spacing can be replicated easily then it's a great option. is the width of the opening the same? some earlier models had the 4-5" narrower opening in the core support along with a narrower radiator. normally the wider opening is wider on the driver side.

Going to check it out early next week. Thanks for the input.

Thanks

That is exactly what I read before. I have several donagr trucks nearby. Hopefully the cups are still there.

I don't know what your battery support looks like, but if you're at the junkyard getting the cups off a radiator support you're 99% of the way to having a 1987/on battery tray that sits on top of the plastic fender, and has a diagonal brace to the fender lip..... 💡