Bullnose Forums

Greetings from NW, Montana.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its only four bolts.

Famous last words of any project.

The factory bumper through 1986 was bolted directly to the frame horns with 4 chrome capped carriage bolts.IMGP0584a.thumb.jpg.ac95b3c7ebb31c7d1eb25de94c4d7980.jpg

Don't mind the later sheet metal, previous owner parked by feel so when I bought a 1990 F250 parts truck for the EFI 460 and E4OD I transferred the front sheet metal.

Here are two pictures of the bare frame rails FWIW. LKQ sells replacement bumpers.

IMGP0610.thumb.jpg.a3b7bfaebc0ac74b84ffbb50ff9013c7.jpg

IMGP0611.thumb.jpg.10759601eae0936397470808e9bc1802.jpg

The factory bumper through 1986 was bolted directly to the frame horns with 4 chrome capped carriage bolts.

Don't mind the later sheet metal, previous owner parked by feel so when I bought a 1990 F250 parts truck for the EFI 460 and E4OD I transferred the front sheet metal.

Here are two pictures of the bare frame rails FWIW. LKQ sells replacement bumpers.

Thanks for the pictures, that'll help me know what I'm looking at before I start tearing it apart. Luckily a local scrap yard by me has one that I'll be picking up this afternoon.

its only four bolts.

Famous last words of any project.

So, This point did rear it's ugly head.

Bracket does look booger welded top and bottom.

Thankfully, this was not the case.

But based on what I'm looking at, the yard mis-labeled a bumper. So I'm now staring at taking time off work to get down there to give it back to them, get charged a re-stock fee and keep looking.

Unless there is something that can be salvaged here. The bumper looks like this.

signal-2024-08-31-103533_002.png.3aae8d101c13efb937cb6cdb0853da3a.png

There is a bunch of mounting hardware on the back, but the holes center to center are about 44", the holes in the bumper proper are 46". the holes in the frame are... ~37.5"? based on my reading of the manuals here, it should all be the same, because same part number and such... Am i missing additional hardware here, or is there another set of holes i should be looking at?

image of the back of the bumper.

signal-2024-08-31-104354_002.thumb.jpeg.c4349382d784acd3783191d5588b2a44.jpeg

Understandably, I can pull out the drill, and make 'new' mounting holes after going all the measuring and such.. But I'd rather not hack something up that might be worth something to someone else in it's current state.

So, This point did rear it's ugly head.

Bracket does look booger welded top and bottom.

Thankfully, this was not the case.

But based on what I'm looking at, the yard mis-labeled a bumper. So I'm now staring at taking time off work to get down there to give it back to them, get charged a re-stock fee and keep looking.

Unless there is something that can be salvaged here. The bumper looks like this.

There is a bunch of mounting hardware on the back, but the holes center to center are about 44", the holes in the bumper proper are 46". the holes in the frame are... ~37.5"? based on my reading of the manuals here, it should all be the same, because same part number and such... Am i missing additional hardware here, or is there another set of holes i should be looking at?

image of the back of the bumper.

Understandably, I can pull out the drill, and make 'new' mounting holes after going all the measuring and such.. But I'd rather not hack something up that might be worth something to someone else in it's current state.

Some potential identifiers

signal-2024-08-31-105113.jpeg.15c766075fd9a5a24e1784a851e5d09f.jpeg

signal-2024-08-31-105110.jpeg.aaba8a35f8b0b8ab9e4065ae9006e41b.jpeg

Some potential identifiers

ok. maybe you stumped me. that looks to be the correct bumper for sure but after all the trucks I've been involved with, I have never seen those brackets that are mounted inside each end. the one-piece bumper mounts directly to the ends of the frame with just four bolts. NO brackets on a bullnose. in that last picture I can clearly see a Penta star (Chrysler symbol) next to the part number. someone I think has modified this.

ok. maybe you stumped me. that looks to be the correct bumper for sure but after all the trucks I've been involved with, I have never seen those brackets that are mounted inside each end. the one-piece bumper mounts directly to the ends of the frame with just four bolts. NO brackets on a bullnose. in that last picture I can clearly see a Penta star (Chrysler symbol) next to the part number. someone I think has modified this.

Agreed.

Must be a Dodge, because that's definitely not a Ford ID# (and the Pentastar)

Agreed.

Must be a Dodge, because that's definitely not a Ford ID# (and the Pentastar)

Thanks... now to arrange getting this back to them, and the search keeps going..

Thanks... now to arrange getting this back to them, and the search keeps going..

I'm a little late to this. That bumper sure looks correct. What is the distance between the circled bolts? Those are the ones that should line up to your frame.

Capture.thumb.jpg.f30dd90e2b364840bc234beeff51a249.jpg