Bullnose Forums

New Registration Process - Need Your Input

I have the same thoughts as y'all. If the process doesn't work well will we run them off? But if they can't bother to say hello do we really want them? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I think Jeff is going to try the process today and we should know how well it goes. And we can modify it as we go forward.

If it works as it should they'll get a popup that says:

You will be sent an email in order to prove you have control of the one you used to register.  Once you've done that you will become a New Member and will be given the ability to start a new topic in the New Members Start Here folder in order to introduce yourself.  Once you have created your first post you will be automatically promoted to Member and will have the ability to post elsewhere.

We need to know not only if it works but where in the process it appears. If it is after the email confirmation step then that bit needs to be taken out. And if it is after they've ticked the I Agree box for the guidelines then we could add the guidelines to this popup and say "You just agreed to these guidelines."

I like that process... We do also want members who can navigate a process like that ... keeps the robots and scammers out :nabble_smiley_wink:

Alternate idea

I had another idea yesterday.. I'm sure there is a catch (interested to hear) but what if, instead of having the member write a post in the new members area the post is automatically generated.

The inputs for the post will come from the registration form itself where we tell the registrant to share the "Year/Model" and also "Introduce yourself and a welcome post will be generated where the current members will greet you".

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that process... We do also want members who can navigate a process like that ... keeps the robots and scammers out :nabble_smiley_wink:

Alternate idea

I had another idea yesterday.. I'm sure there is a catch (interested to hear) but what if, instead of having the member write a post in the new members area the post is automatically generated.

The inputs for the post will come from the registration form itself where we tell the registrant to share the "Year/Model" and also "Introduce yourself and a welcome post will be generated where the current members will greet you".

Yes, that process should keep a lot of the ne'er-do-well types out.

But on the automated idea, the catch is that there doesn't appear to be a way to do that. Nor do we have the info - at present. However, the same process we are testing that pops up the boilerplate discussed above could have a step to have them tell us about their truck. But we have people join that don't yet have a truck, like my son and grandson. So that might not work very well - if we had a way to do it.

Yes, that process should keep a lot of the ne'er-do-well types out.

But on the automated idea, the catch is that there doesn't appear to be a way to do that. Nor do we have the info - at present. However, the same process we are testing that pops up the boilerplate discussed above could have a step to have them tell us about their truck. But we have people join that don't yet have a truck, like my son and grandson. So that might not work very well - if we had a way to do it.

And then we have members like Bob, Dane & myself who don't have any Bullnose truck. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

The point of NOT automating it, is that a prospect needs to do the legwork... or I don't want to be bothered with them.

And then we have members like Bob, Dane & myself who don't have any Bullnose truck. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

The point of NOT automating it, is that a prospect needs to do the legwork... or I don't want to be bothered with them.

When my acquaintance Kyle from Dallas area joined I thought he was going to stay. Maybe he is done with Bullnoses ? He introduced himself etc.. and then I'm sure we have had folks show up unannounced without a formal introduction that have stayed here... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Point is.. I think the like-minded will stay naturally :nabble_smiley_wink:

Legwork to join is a fair ask, especially given that a lot of prospects are here for the people here do the legwork on their projects :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I like the introduction requirement. I think your original desire behind it is valid and "should" help prevent the passers-by. I don't think it is too much to ask someone for an introduction. I have seen some forums where you can't post until you have filled out certain things in your profile, which can also be helpful.

I frequently use forums for all sorts of information and the majority of the time it is just reading things I have searched for answers to. However, if I can't find what I am looking for and feel the need to join a forum to pose a question, I feel obligated to follow their rules. Especially when no money is changing hands.

Where to go??? :nabble_anim_confused:

You arrived after the Nabble owner borked our joining process, but basically new members didn't need the sad & apologetic boilerplate that I have to send .

They were sandboxed to the NMSH until they made a post, and were immediately free to post after that.

Gary wants everyone to understand that this is a respectful community.

Only one person (that I know of) has been shown the door...

All I took from this was someone got kicked out and now I want to know what they did. I don't even care who they are :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I like the introduction requirement. I think your original desire behind it is valid and "should" help prevent the passers-by. I don't think it is too much to ask someone for an introduction. I have seen some forums where you can't post until you have filled out certain things in your profile, which can also be helpful.

I frequently use forums for all sorts of information and the majority of the time it is just reading things I have searched for answers to. However, if I can't find what I am looking for and feel the need to join a forum to pose a question, I feel obligated to follow their rules. Especially when no money is changing hands.

You're doing just fine here, Will! 🙂

That somebody shall remain unmentioned, but I will say that they've been banned by almost every forum that's ever dealt with Bronco's.

In fact, the admin of another forum actually joined here to post warning about his combative behavior.:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I think Jeff is going to try the process today and we should know how well it goes.

Sorry Gentlemen, time was missing yesterday.

I'll make a test today.

:nabble_smiley_super:

No problem, Jeff.

In the Invision support forum a nice guy named Gary, oddly enough, said we can see what things are going to look like by:

Just make the changes, then go to your own profile on your community. Click your username at the top of your community -> Profile. Once on that page, go to Edit Profile and you should see it listed there.

So I can play with that this afternoon after my eye surgery - assuming I can see well enough.

No problem, Jeff.

In the Invision support forum a nice guy named Gary, oddly enough, said we can see what things are going to look like by:

Just make the changes, then go to your own profile on your community. Click your username at the top of your community -> Profile. Once on that page, go to Edit Profile and you should see it listed there.

So I can play with that this afternoon after my eye surgery - assuming I can see well enough.

Oh no Gary!

I hope it's nothing serious. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

My little brother has been a week now recovering from a detached retina. (they had to drain the humor and install a balloon)