Bullnose Forums

Battery suggestions

I am in the process of upgrading my charging system. 130 amp 3g altenator. I want to install a dual post battery so I will have a good place to hook up some extra wires. Size and type suggestions? What sizes will fit.

84 F150 5.0

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm running an Odyssey Extreme 31M-PC2150 on a later F4TZ 10732-B battery tray. That's the newer battery tray that is much better than the Bullnose tray. And the battery just BARELY fits as the negative post almost touches the hood.

That's a Group 31 battery with brass SAE posts & 3/8 inch positive and 5/16 inch negative thread SS stud terminals. And it has an 1150 CCA rating.

But I don't recommend the Odyssey batteries as they have a strange shape that standard battery clamps don't fit well. However the later battery tray has a bottom clamping arrangement that might fit most batteries nicely.

I'm running an Odyssey Extreme 31M-PC2150 on a later F4TZ 10732-B battery tray. That's the newer battery tray that is much better than the Bullnose tray. And the battery just BARELY fits as the negative post almost touches the hood.

That's a Group 31 battery with brass SAE posts & 3/8 inch positive and 5/16 inch negative thread SS stud terminals. And it has an 1150 CCA rating.

But I don't recommend the Odyssey batteries as they have a strange shape that standard battery clamps don't fit well. However the later battery tray has a bottom clamping arrangement that might fit most batteries nicely.

I see the group 31 is more of a marine/deep cycle type of battery vs the group 65 that is in my truck.

Is that because you're afraid youll wear it own too much while winching or running the compressor?

I see the group 31 is more of a marine/deep cycle type of battery vs the group 65 that is in my truck.

Is that because you're afraid youll wear it own too much while winching or running the compressor?

That's the battery that was in Big Blue when I got him, so I've stayed with it. But I don't use that one for winching, just the aux battery which is an Odyssey Extreme 34M-PC1500. I bought it to match the starting battery as closely as I could, but the factory aux battery tray wouldn't allow the height of the group 31 battery.

That's the battery that was in Big Blue when I got him, so I've stayed with it. But I don't use that one for winching, just the aux battery which is an Odyssey Extreme 34M-PC1500. I bought it to match the starting battery as closely as I could, but the factory aux battery tray wouldn't allow the height of the group 31 battery.

But group 65 fits fine, and is the largest listed by Ford.

I've never had a problem with the 850 CCA coming up short, but I get that you want AGM or whatever those are.

But group 65 fits fine, and is the largest listed by Ford.

I've never had a problem with the 850 CCA coming up short, but I get that you want AGM or whatever those are.

The PO threw money at this truck, and the battery he put in is an example thereof. About as expensive as you can get. And they are AGM.

Not saying I'd go back with the same battery, but that's what I have and I know they fit - but just barely in the case of the starting battery.

The PO threw money at this truck, and the battery he put in is an example thereof. About as expensive as you can get. And they are AGM.

Not saying I'd go back with the same battery, but that's what I have and I know they fit - but just barely in the case of the starting battery.

I've used Group 65 across the board on all the bullnoses.. fits really nice in the stock tray...

You may need to use a universal holddown like the one below

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDXIK3I/?coliid=I3QH4RAUZ0A34H&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_MGBEJ6VZ5K0Q9QTE6YGM

I had a group 56 on my dentside but recently upgraded to group 65. It was a tight fit on the dentside.

I didn't realize that it was Vern that bought that battery.

I only remember you buying the matching house battery, and the Cole-Hersee isolator.