Bullnose Forums

Howdy from central Texas

Hello,

Just picked up a 1981 f150 ranger a couple months and enjoying it so far.

Little info on the truck...

Picked up from a friend's dad who started fixing it up and to say the least got in over his head and fell into the same traps we all have at on time or another.

Not sure which came first but a rebuilt transmission was installed along with a reman engine. By the looks of it short block with everything installed back. It was a little aggravating talking to him about it because his story altered I guess. Basically he had a shop do the transmission work i have reciepts for that and buddy do the engine. That was the major trap he fell Into. The guy really didnt do him any service at all and i guess he did want excessive charges replacing things like the original battery cables that were more than half dead and creating polar heads on the battery post and down the exposed wires.

I've rebuilt the complete light harness for rear so far, new battery, big 3 upgrade to power wires and grounds made by a custom cable manufacturer in 1/0 and added an extra ground from battery.

My current issue I'm addressing is choke problems I pulled the air cleaner and have noticed it's a eldebrock carb hooked to stator for power. Which i know isn't receiving enough power to work and possibly bad. So now I'm looking for best option to run supplied 12volts to electric choke. So long winded way of asking the best way to get power running a relay to power the 12 volts from starter selnoid?

The 351 HO trucks had a choke relay pulled in by the stator wire.

Let me go check for a schematic in the EVTM's

I'm making a new post instead of editing the image into the last one.

Gary would like to ask you where exactly, and if you'd like to add your city or zip code to our members map.

1985-etm-page53.thumb.jpg.563d74c8f8e1bf7658c64bd427864fb4.jpg

I'm making a new post instead of editing the image into the last one.

Gary would like to ask you where exactly, and if you'd like to add your city or zip code to our members map.

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Yes, I always ask where you live 'cause we have a map, which you can see at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu, and I can add you with a city/state or zip.

On the choke, it is possible to run an Eddy on the stator power, but it doesn't work really well. The stator has about 1/2 battery voltage and that doesn't bring the choke off very fast so you have to have it adjusted lean. And when it gets cold outside that's a pain.

So the relay that Jim suggested is the way to go. Use the stator to pull the relay in and the relay to power the choke.

Welcome!

It isn't an answer to your question, but I like manual chokes if you haven't considered that option. I have a manual choke on both of my 4 bbl edelbrocks and I swapped one onto the 1 bbl on my 86 with the 300.