Bullnose Forums

Upgrading go 3G alt

Upgrading my charging system to 3g. Right now it is a 100 amp one wire gm.

My bracket system is a 1984 5.0 v belt set up. Looking at either a 130 or 150 amp. I will be running dual belts. What year model

altenator will bolt up?

With low mount & V-belts you're going to want a 8.25" C-C alternator, so it can swing for adjustment.

This comes from the 3.8 V-6 found in 91-95 Taurus/Sable

If you have a later 5.0 EFI with the top mount alternator you need the 7" mount from a 3.0 V-6 (same cars and years)

With low mount & V-belts you're going to want a 8.25" C-C alternator, so it can swing for adjustment.

This comes from the 3.8 V-6 found in 91-95 Taurus/Sable

If you have a later 5.0 EFI with the top mount alternator you need the 7" mount from a 3.0 V-6 (same cars and years)

That what I was wanting to know. I have the double pully allready. Will I need the shim to go behind it to keep it from rubbing. Readong the document section it sounds like I will.

That what I was wanting to know. I have the double pully allready. Will I need the shim to go behind it to keep it from rubbing. Readong the document section it sounds like I will.

You might consider installing a load reduction control (LRC) voltage regulator before installing the alternator - assuming it doesn't have one. Most of the LRC regulators are white.

You can see how they work in this thread.

I was reading about the lrc regulator. The link in the document section no longer works. At least not for me. Anybody have a current link to the regulator and shim?

I think I just found the info on the lrc regulator. Thanks

Just need to find the shim.

I was reading about the lrc regulator. The link in the document section no longer works. At least not for me. Anybody have a current link to the regulator and shim?

Did you try the links in the thread I linked to?

I think I just found the info on the lrc regulator. Thanks

Just need to find the shim.

The shim can be any thin 17mm spacer (depends on how far off your pulley is)

A 5/8 washer is usually sloppy enough to fit nicely.

Gary got the L&L double sheave pulley that came from my kit.

I think he turned the boss back to get more thread engagement, but mine has been fine for over a decade with a spot of loctite.

The shim can be any thin 17mm spacer (depends on how far off your pulley is)

A 5/8 washer is usually sloppy enough to fit nicely.

Gary got the L&L double sheave pulley that came from my kit.

I think he turned the boss back to get more thread engagement, but mine has been fine for over a decade with a spot of loctite.

Thanks for all the info. Located everything online that I need. Just gotta pay for it and wait on it to come in.