Bullnose Forums

Distributor recommendations

Seems they're both easy to install, I just prefer the Ford stuff.

Mine's on a 300 as well. Junkyard harness, "blue grommet" box, and the DSII distributor - maybe $100. Even the later (85-86) Ford cab harnesses are still set up for DSII, so it's plug & play.

Joe has a 351 HO so he can even use '87 250/350 parts.

It all depends on why the old dizzy is broken, and how much of the existing Flareside wiring is still intact. 👍

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe has a 351 HO so he can even use '87 250/350 parts.

It all depends on why the old dizzy is broken, and how much of the existing Flareside wiring is still intact. 👍

Even if the truck is stripped out completely, you can build a DS-II harness from scratch rather easily with about 8 wires, some connectors... DS-II modules and distributors are still readily available, although they are "cheap" reproductions of the original.

Thread below is a good read

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/C-322-Duraspark-II-distributor-connector-tp146596.html

Even if the truck is stripped out completely, you can build a DS-II harness from scratch rather easily with about 8 wires, some connectors... DS-II modules and distributors are still readily available, although they are "cheap" reproductions of the original.

Thread below is a good read

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/C-322-Duraspark-II-distributor-connector-tp146596.html

But THIS truck isn't butchered.

I'm still not sure what is wrong with the distributor it has... :nabble_anim_confused:

The firewood truck is a different case entirely, and being a "One Year Wonder" like mine, any kind of harness is going to be problematic.

I'd offered Mike Kleeman a bunch of good advice when he mashed up the '87 460 dump truck with the diesel F-450 (Super duty) a dilapidated wrecker and another Huck.

But the round bulkhead connector AND any DS-II harness is a very unique animal.

Trying to build an entire under hood harness -starting from nothing- is not for the faint hearted.

There's no charge & power distribution. No lighting harness, no sensors or senders, no starter wiring.

.....Nothing!

And in that case you'd have to be not only a lunatic, but a masochist, to go that route for a flatbed trail beater.

I'm still not sure what is wrong with the distributor it has... :nabble_anim_confused:

The firewood truck is a different case entirely, and being a "One Year Wonder" like mine, any kind of harness is going to be problematic.

I'd offered Mike Kleeman a bunch of good advice when he mashed up the '87 460 dump truck with the diesel F-450 (Super duty) a dilapidated wrecker and another Huck.

Trying to build an entire under hood harness -starting from nothing- is not for the faint hearted.

There's no charge & power distribution. No lighting harness, no sensors or senders, no starter wiring.

.....Nothing!

And in that case you'd have to be not only a lunatic, but a masochist, to go that route for a flatbed trail beater.

I'm not saying the entire under hood harness is to be built from scratch, just the DS-II constituents... the assumption is that the rest of the factory harness is still not butchered. If all is butchered, then start from scratch with a painless harness. All these are hypotheticals..

Good to know the truck we are talking about here doesn't need anything drastic...

.....Nothing!

Come on now Jim, are you telling it's not possible to completely rewire my F350 and Lebaron convertible? I must have stumbled onto some of that "dynomite sheet" Chech and Chong talked about.

Come on now Jim, are you telling it's not possible to completely rewire my F350 and Lebaron convertible? I must have stumbled onto some of that "dynomite sheet" Chech and Chong talked about.

No.

I'm saying that for someone else who likely has no wire or factory connectors (and is just looking to get a functional ignition system into an abused woods vehicle) that may well never be registered for the road again, it is a fool's errand to even try to recreate a one year only harness.

When, for the price of a decent set of spark plug wires you can get: a distributor, coil, rotor, cap AND wires, as well as a socketed relay w/ pigtail.

With this he could have that truck running in an hour.

No.

I'm saying that for someone else who likely has no wire or factory connectors (and is just looking to get a functional ignition system into an abused woods vehicle) that may well never be registered for the road again, it is a fool's errand to even try to recreate a one year only harness.

When, for the price of a decent set of spark plug wires you can get: a distributor, coil, rotor, cap AND wires, as well as a socketed relay w/ pigtail.

With this he could have that truck running in an hour.

The ICM is missing

The prior idiots destroyed the wiring, a square coil was attached to nothing and had red wires twisted to it with no connectors.

Add to that, they used a wizzer wheel on the carb, destroying it,

They made a gasket for egr riser to intake from DIY roll of cork.

Geniuses.

I did find a harness today, as well as a 100% perfect dash pad.

I really needed to start from scratch.

The ICM is missing

The prior idiots destroyed the wiring, a square coil was attached to nothing and had red wires twisted to it with no connectors.

Geniuses.

20240714_055400.jpg.8a4839db9f45dd563324cc84d53cafe5.jpg

The ICM is missing

Geniuses.

You don't need any icm if you no longer have the feedback carb.

Definitely get a spacer (I used Trans-dapt on my 460)

If you have NPT taps put a plug in the EGR port of the manifold

... and, of course you need 2' of 3/8 fuel line!