Bullnose Forums

Dual Exhaust System for a Flare Side

I'm trying to do some long range planning for when the new drivetrain is installed in the truck. My 1980 Flare Side will have a 302 with SROD 4-speed transmission. Thanks to the mechanical clutch linkage, it appears as if I'll be using stock exhaust manifolds (which is not that big of a deal since the engine is pretty stock). I looked at the Exhaust System images in the documentation and I think I can see a path forward. What I'm trying to do is create a true dual exhaust system with the muffler being the 'cross over'.

Starting with a stock Y-pipe, I'd like to split it at the "Y" and shorten the portion of the driver's side where it crosses under the bell housing. Shortening the longer side means that I can run the pipes side-by-side under the passenger side floor and have the muffler be located under the rear of the cab. Then, I want two tail pipes to exit the passenger side under the step, forward of the passenger side flare. Thrush makes a dual in, dual out muffler (two actually) and I'm sure others do as well. And, there are custom exhaust pipe fabricators in my area (I'm not suggesting I cobble something together) I just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback (I'm a sucker for Lake Pipes...). TIA.

I expect it's going to be tight on a short chassis.

That's kind of why I wanted to put the muffler in the spot where the converter normally goes. I did something similar on a long-bed '85 Ranger and it worked out nicely. I'll have to eye-ball it once the drivetrain is in and I can mock something up.

I was really just wondering if anyone else had any experience doing something similar.

I expect it's going to be tight on a short chassis.

That's kind of why I wanted to put the muffler in the spot where the converter normally goes. I did something similar on a long-bed '85 Ranger and it worked out nicely. I'll have to eye-ball it once the drivetrain is in and I can mock something up.

I was really just wondering if anyone else had any experience doing something similar.

I really think we need a F.O.G. subsection when the forum moves to the new platform! 😉

It's just so much more capable of handling requests like this.

I really think we need a F.O.G. subsection when the forum moves to the new platform! 😉

It's just so much more capable of handling requests like this.

F.O.G.?

I was also thinking that something like an "Ask the Experts" section might be kind of nice, too. So, you could get a question answered without a specific thread being dedicated to a simple question.

For instance; Do kick panel vents indicate a non-AC truck? I know the answer to this is 'yes' but only because I stumbled upon the answer while reading about something else.

The rules of the Forum would require the responder to quote the original question and provide an answer. If the response does not quote the original question, then the answer is removed/deleted. That seems heavy-handed and probably requires a lot of moderation but it would keep things organized. It could also be used as a basis for FAQs or How-To threads.

F.O.G.?

I was also thinking that something like an "Ask the Experts" section might be kind of nice, too. So, you could get a question answered without a specific thread being dedicated to a simple question.

For instance; Do kick panel vents indicate a non-AC truck? I know the answer to this is 'yes' but only because I stumbled upon the answer while reading about something else.

The rules of the Forum would require the responder to quote the original question and provide an answer. If the response does not quote the original question, then the answer is removed/deleted. That seems heavy-handed and probably requires a lot of moderation but it would keep things organized. It could also be used as a basis for FAQs or How-To threads.

Well, I'm definitely NOT an expert on exhaust systems.

More along the lines of Vivek's "Works for me" YouTube.

When a certain banned member would always answer with links to his own page (which is not contributing to THIS forum and just increasing his Supermotors page rank) I created the tech pages up here, with the hope it would become a "knowledge library" that would stay here forever.

But that just seemed to anger him more.. 🤷‍♂️

F.O.G.?

Sorry, I coined the F.O.G. when we got a flurry of Flareside Owners, and had a dedicated core including Cory/Rembrandt, Dave/FuzzFace and Ron/Reamer

I felt that they were enough subtle differences (wood bed, chains on the tailgate, cab closure panels, taillights and wiring, license plate bracket, etc that it would be nice if they had a section to address those unique things.

Maybe it's just a fantasy of mine? (or an inside joke)

Sorry, I coined the F.O.G. when we got a flurry of Flareside Owners, and had a dedicated core including Cory/Rembrandt, Dave/FuzzFace and Ron/Reamer

I felt that they were enough subtle differences (wood bed, chains on the tailgate, cab closure panels, taillights and wiring, license plate bracket, etc that it would be nice if they had a section to address those unique things.

Maybe it's just a fantasy of mine? (or an inside joke)

yes, it does seem logical to have a f.O.G. section or even a fog thread. but I do know it's easy to get cluttered by adding too many sub sections. perhaps better to have chapters by body, engine, manual trans, automatic trans etc. however, I have gotten use to using the site as it is, and the move is something I'm focused on. there is one (whydtytt) that has gotten so big that it takes very long to load, for me anyway. I wonder how that will be with the better format.