Bullnose Forums

Tailgate Letter Colors

Finally got the letters put on. I went with white on both after reading through these comments and looking at the pictures. They aren’t perfect but I like them. And I was wrong, both of these tailgates did have vinyl letters previously, I just never noticed until I was cleaning them closely for putting the new letters on. The blue one just had the letters painted over, which makes sense because this repaint was done by the local community college years ago when a cousin was working there. And the corners on some areas of the “F” aren’t rounded like the original.

They look very good, Alan! :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got the letters put on. I went with white on both after reading through these comments and looking at the pictures. They aren’t perfect but I like them. And I was wrong, both of these tailgates did have vinyl letters previously, I just never noticed until I was cleaning them closely for putting the new letters on. The blue one just had the letters painted over, which makes sense because this repaint was done by the local community college years ago when a cousin was working there. And the corners on some areas of the “F” aren’t rounded like the original.

The tailgates look great! 👍

Do you have a tonneau cover or something for the cleats on your red truck?

My '87 has an aftermarket Taiwan tailgate, so is absolutely smooth.

I had to make a masking tape baseline because there was nothing to go by, but it turned out ok.

I had to make a masking tape baseline because there was nothing to go by, but it turned out ok.

No I don’t have a tonneau cover. This truck just came to me with those, the rails, and some deer whistles. I assumed they were all some JC Whitney type of add-ons from the late 80s or early 90s. I thought the cleats were just rope tie off points, are they for a tonneau cover? I removed the whistles the day I got it. I would remove the cleats but then the bed would have holes. I don’t mind the rails but I wouldn’t install any if it didn’t already have them.

The headache rack and rails on the blue truck were made by my Papaw when he first got the truck. He was a farmer and a welder and always had a rack and rails on his trucks. I like them a lot, for obvious sentimental reasons.

No I don’t have a tonneau cover. This truck just came to me with those, the rails, and some deer whistles. I assumed they were all some JC Whitney type of add-ons from the late 80s or early 90s. I thought the cleats were just rope tie off points, are they for a tonneau cover? I removed the whistles the day I got it. I would remove the cleats but then the bed would have holes. I don’t mind the rails but I wouldn’t install any if it didn’t already have them.

The headache rack and rails on the blue truck were made by my Papaw when he first got the truck. He was a farmer and a welder and always had a rack and rails on his trucks. I like them a lot, for obvious sentimental reasons.

Excellent results! I hope to finish up my tailgate one day so this will come in handy.

So about the cleats on my truck. Are these for a tonneau cover? I just posted a Copart find over in the Marketplace area. There's a 1980 F150 with the exact same cleats in the same place. So are these a Ford option or an aftermarket add-on? And are they for a cover, for rope tie points, or just some extra bling?

Copart 1980 F150:

eaae640844314118833995b5cd5c2de2_ful.jpg.bed5f48ee7eb2c311ff67ee3c21ca72e.jpg

270aea2784d24435874fde0249be0015_ful.jpg.4a335354f8907db821cfbf3e38b8b688.jpg

My 86:

IMG_0231.jpg.386e0bdd08961abfb20ed77efeb9cbcc.jpg

So about the cleats on my truck. Are these for a tonneau cover? I just posted a Copart find over in the Marketplace area. There's a 1980 F150 with the exact same cleats in the same place. So are these a Ford option or an aftermarket add-on? And are they for a cover, for rope tie points, or just some extra bling?

Copart 1980 F150:

My 86:

IDK

Back before ratchet straps were everywhere and people knew how to hitch a horse it was probably the easiest way to keep a load from shifting.

Copart 1980 F150:

My 86:

the cleats are actually "tie down cleats" they are a place to tie rope.

:nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps:

:nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Gary, Alan, I didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Just wanted to show you what I did. I still need the stripes on bottom of tailgate. CJ