Bullnose Forums

WE ARE MOVING - HERE’S THE PLAN

Well, I've locked myself out of everything Google :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

So I can't be watching my mailbox for requests from InVision, but hopefully you have time to breathe now that the grandtwins have headed back to James Island.

Yes, I have more time now. Thanks. I'll watch for messages.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have more time now. Thanks. I'll watch for messages.

Today Stuart at Invision said:

The items that were taking a little longer to convert (where full emails are stored in posts instead of just text/html) are complete.

I have been working on some performance improvements today, figuring things out like which topic a post should be associated with was very slow due to how the structure is stored in the database. That has now been solved, the two conversions will now be much quicker.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to migrate passwords over. Your members will need to reset their password after the conversion to sign in. It may be worth posting and asking them to make sure their email addresses are correct and to update them if they are not.

I'm doing my final internal testing and then we'll be ready to do the test conversion next week.

So y'all need to make sure your email address is correct. ASAP!

Hopefully Monday we will start testing and we will need all the help we can get.

The items that were taking a little longer to convert (where full emails are stored in posts instead of just text/html) are complete.

I have been working on some performance improvements today, figuring things out like which topic a post should be associated with was very slow due to how the structure is stored in the database. That has now been solved, the two conversions will now be much quicker.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to migrate passwords over. Your members will need to reset their password after the conversion to sign in. It may be worth posting and asking them to make sure their email addresses are correct and to update them if they are not.

I'm doing my final internal testing and then we'll be ready to do the test conversion next week.

Hopefully Monday we will start testing and we will need all the help we can get.

I will help as much as I can, but sometime next week I am supposed to have back surgery so may not be able to help much.

Good news!

I'm excited to test this new forum!

:nabble_anim_jump:

I'm a nihilist, I don't really want anything.

But I would like photo orientation and post numbers.

Looking forward to a test drive 👍

As a former web developer (VB.Net & ASP.Net), I'll be happy to test.

As a former web developer (VB.Net & ASP.Net), I'll be happy to test.

Dave - We will need all the help we can get! So thanks!

But I'm not sure how technical we will be able to get. From my understanding we will have a copy of this whole forum that is about a month old. And we can do anything we want with it it will go away when we are through with the testing. In fact, we will have to make sure that people do not post there thinking it is the real forum as it WILL go away.

And the testing has two purposes - I think:

1. Determine if the old content comes over correctly. That would include posts, pictures, links, embedded files and videos, emoticons, etc. And note that several of us have used the ability to post using HTML so we need to see that those posts are rendered correctly. This wouldn't require logging in, but it would be good to know if logging in renders it differently.

2. See if the functionality of Invision works correctly with the Nabble import. In other words, can you post properly using the Invision editor in the threads originally created via Nabble? And can you add new threads to the old stuff using the Invision platform? Plus, can you edit the content originally entered via Nabble by using the Invision editor. This will require logging in.

What I have to remember is that we aren't testing the capabilities of InVision's forum. We've already done that. Instead we are checking to see that our existing Nabble forum gets ported correctly and is integrated neatly into the Invision forum.

So I am going to post most of this post in a new thread called Testing Of InVision Import Of Nabble Forum, which will be in the New Forum Platform Discussions folder. And that thread is where I'd like to capture our test results.

Dave - We will need all the help we can get! So thanks!

But I'm not sure how technical we will be able to get. From my understanding we will have a copy of this whole forum that is about a month old. And we can do anything we want with it it will go away when we are through with the testing. In fact, we will have to make sure that people do not post there thinking it is the real forum as it WILL go away.

And the testing has two purposes - I think:

1. Determine if the old content comes over correctly. That would include posts, pictures, links, embedded files and videos, emoticons, etc. And note that several of us have used the ability to post using HTML so we need to see that those posts are rendered correctly. This wouldn't require logging in, but it would be good to know if logging in renders it differently.

2. See if the functionality of Invision works correctly with the Nabble import. In other words, can you post properly using the Invision editor in the threads originally created via Nabble? And can you add new threads to the old stuff using the Invision platform? Plus, can you edit the content originally entered via Nabble by using the Invision editor. This will require logging in.

What I have to remember is that we aren't testing the capabilities of InVision's forum. We've already done that. Instead we are checking to see that our existing Nabble forum gets ported correctly and is integrated neatly into the Invision forum.

So I am going to post most of this post in a new thread called Testing Of InVision Import Of Nabble Forum, which will be in the New Forum Platform Discussions folder. And that thread is where I'd like to capture our test results.

As of this morning we have the first test of our migrated forum. Unfortunately y'all can't see it as only admins can and only Chris/ckuske and I are admins. But I've asked the folks at Invision how I can give you access.

As for my first blush, not everything is right as some folders on Nabble came across as folders on Invision and some didn't. So we have a few things to sort out.

But, there is some good news. As best I can measure it takes 1 to 2 seconds to move to a new page on WHYDTYTT where it takes 16 - 17 seconds on Nabble. In fact, it is so fast on Invision that it is really hard to measure. :nabble_smiley_happy:

As of this morning we have the first test of our migrated forum. Unfortunately y'all can't see it as only admins can and only Chris/ckuske and I are admins. But I've asked the folks at Invision how I can give you access.

As for my first blush, not everything is right as some folders on Nabble came across as folders on Invision and some didn't. So we have a few things to sort out.

But, there is some good news. As best I can measure it takes 1 to 2 seconds to move to a new page on WHYDTYTT where it takes 16 - 17 seconds on Nabble. In fact, it is so fast on Invision that it is really hard to measure. :nabble_smiley_happy:

that is good but a little funny too. I have gotten to the point that I save that thread for last and when I click on it I normally set the laptop down and go get coffee and read when I get back.