Bullnose Forums

Sealant suggestion for A/C evaporator housing

So, maybe you need a little thicker than 1/8?

I'm sure if you look you can find 4mm x whatever width seems correct.

Id definitely go this route over RTV.

The butyl tape worked our very well. I noticed that some of the manufactures suggested refrigerating it for 6 hours before installing. We did that and I think it lessened the stickiness and the amount of stretch. It was really thick and I think we could have gotten away with the 1/8" thickness.

The butyl tape worked our very well. I noticed that some of the manufactures suggested refrigerating it for 6 hours before installing. We did that and I think it lessened the stickiness and the amount of stretch. It was really thick and I think we could have gotten away with the 1/8" thickness.

Glad for that! 👍

I used to wish we could do the roof deck install of ice & water shield only in the winter for the same reason.

Dealing with a soft & sticky roll of that stuff 1m by10 (3x33') in the baking sun could be a real disaster.

Glad for that! 👍

I used to wish we could do the roof deck install of ice & water shield only in the winter for the same reason.

Dealing with a soft & sticky roll of that stuff 1m by10 (3x33') in the baking sun could be a real disaster.

Late to the party, but that's the way I went and it has worked well. You don't want to glue that thing together, as Jim pointed out.

And I put it on in the shop so it would have been around 74F and it didn't stick too badly. But I can see how working with it at 100F wouldn't be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad for that! 👍

We were working in the shade of the carport but it was in the mid 90's here. We opted to install the tape on the removable portion of the housing so we could tackle that part inside the house. It stayed pretty thick long enough for us to second guess ourselves about 10 times while we tried to fit the thing back together. We definitely did not need the thick tape that we got. but it was nice to see it squeeze out a bit across all of the joints.

We are still working through the rest of the A/C but we are hopeful we will have this working before the end of Summer

We were working in the shade of the carport but it was in the mid 90's here. We opted to install the tape on the removable portion of the housing so we could tackle that part inside the house. It stayed pretty thick long enough for us to second guess ourselves about 10 times while we tried to fit the thing back together. We definitely did not need the thick tape that we got. but it was nice to see it squeeze out a bit across all of the joints.

We are still working through the rest of the A/C but we are hopeful we will have this working before the end of Summer

If you lived up here you'd have the AC fixed just in time for the first snowfall! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks for the progress update. :nabble_smiley_good:

You've got an incredible amount of work done so far! :nabble_smiley_cool: