Bullnose Forums

Sealant suggestion for A/C evaporator housing

We are starting to work on our A/C system. The evaporator housing was sealed with some kind of black sticky sealant. The sealant at the top and front of the housing is still somewhat sticky. The sealant at the back and bottom has hardened and become brittle.

My plan is to clean all of the old sealant off and reseal it. One option I have found is Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant. It looks similar similar and the description sounds like it would work.

Silicone is going to cure into rubber and glue that thing on permanently.

The black sealant comes as a tape on a glossy kraft paper backing.

We called it 'dum-dum' at the shop.

Also around the heater core necks....

Let me see about it, Will. 🤔

Silicone is going to cure into rubber and glue that thing on permanently.

The black sealant comes as a tape on a glossy kraft paper backing.

We called it 'dum-dum' at the shop.

Also around the heater core necks....

Let me see about it, Will. 🤔

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068316/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPMW7485/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9ocXBfc2hhcmVk

Something like this?

How thick is the seal?

The bits that were still sticky just stretched all apart. However, the parts that had stiffened up were probably close to 1/8" thick.

The part of the housing that connects against the firewall actually has a grooved area and it's about 1/8" thick as well. The top, bottom, and front are all flat surfaces with about a 1/2" wide lip.

I've used butyl tape for flashing and some A/C stuff before.

The bits that were still sticky just stretched all apart. However, the parts that had stiffened up were probably close to 1/8" thick.

The part of the housing that connects against the firewall actually has a grooved area and it's about 1/8" thick as well. The top, bottom, and front are all flat surfaces with about a 1/2" wide lip.

I've used butyl tape for flashing and some A/C stuff before.

So, maybe you need a little thicker than 1/8?

I'm sure if you look you can find 4mm x whatever width seems correct.

Id definitely go this route over RTV.

So, maybe you need a little thicker than 1/8?

I'm sure if you look you can find 4mm x whatever width seems correct.

Id definitely go this route over RTV.

I checked my measurements again. The grooved portion mightly be slightly less but it is very close to 1/8". The flat areas are actually closer to being 3/4" wide. I haven't found any 4mm thick tape but I have found 3/16" which is very close.

I checked my measurements again. The grooved portion mightly be slightly less but it is very close to 1/8". The flat areas are actually closer to being 3/4" wide. I haven't found any 4mm thick tape but I have found 3/16" which is very close.

Sounds like butyl tape. I'm getting ready to dive into the AC myself and am wondering if I can cut some neoprene into gaskets for these ducts and housings.

Sounds like butyl tape. I'm getting ready to dive into the AC myself and am wondering if I can cut some neoprene into gaskets for these ducts and housings.

I think it was Scott that found a guy in Detroit/Dearborn that was making gaskets for him.

Not certain where that thread went, but Gary may know.

Maybe I should tag Scott to this thread? I haven't seen him in a while...

We aren't quite ready to delve into the ducts yet but I ordered the gasket set form Detroit Muscle. They're nice.

Three of the gaskets are foam rubber. The other three are charcoal foam. They have descriptions of the gaskets and images on their website.

I'm sure if you could find the right thickness of neoprene it would probably work for the stiffer gaskets.