Bullnose Forums

Engine compatibility

I’m in Aston, a few minutes from all of those places, small world! Duck Ditch sounds like a cool place lol

Would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

Sure!

My experience with a stuck inline is in a 1968 Chevelle with the 230. I had let it sit in my garage for a 10 year hibernation (it wasn't intentional, but led me to understand the "running when parked" phrase). My son and I started resurrecting it late last year and found that the engine was locked tight. I soaked it with PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil for several weeks. A very long breaker bar still didn't budge it. But after a lot of persistence with the breaker bar and all my weight, it eventually gave way. Had to work it back and forth and finally got it to go all the way around. After I cleaned the carb it started and ran. It rattled a lot for a minute or two, but it's now running fine and doesn't even smoke. If it were me, I'd keep trying to free it, because what have you got to lose? But I know how slow I am since I have too many projects going on at one time, if I pulled the engine out, it'd be a very long time before anything ended up going back in.

My experience with a stuck inline is in a 1968 Chevelle with the 230. I had let it sit in my garage for a 10 year hibernation (it wasn't intentional, but led me to understand the "running when parked" phrase). My son and I started resurrecting it late last year and found that the engine was locked tight. I soaked it with PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil for several weeks. A very long breaker bar still didn't budge it. But after a lot of persistence with the breaker bar and all my weight, it eventually gave way. Had to work it back and forth and finally got it to go all the way around. After I cleaned the carb it started and ran. It rattled a lot for a minute or two, but it's now running fine and doesn't even smoke. If it were me, I'd keep trying to free it, because what have you got to lose? But I know how slow I am since I have too many projects going on at one time, if I pulled the engine out, it'd be a very long time before anything ended up going back in.

∆∆∆. 100% agreement. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Keep trying at it, because if it ran when parked (and hasn't been filled with water) then it should run well after it's slumber.

I'm not sure if a 300 oil pump drive is as accessible as the V-8's, but you might try pumping some lube through the whole system.

It's gotta be easier than dry...