Bullnose Forums

Lower steering column bearing #3D681

Greetings especially to all the fathers out there..

I’m looking for the a replacement lower column bearing the oem part number is 3D681. Mine is completely shot and need a replacement any help please.

Thanks..

Gary went aftermarket, and has the process documented in Big Blue's thread.

IIRC he mentioned it not long ago (with a link)

Right. There's no way I'd go back with a NOS bearing. The aftermarket bearings are much better. I used one from DRB Fab and it worked extremely well.

I will say though that the lower steering shaft is sometimes out of round because someone overtightened the clamp bolt. So you may have to pull the lower shaft and clean it up a bit as the fit of the DRB bearing is tight.

Right. There's no way I'd go back with a NOS bearing. The aftermarket bearings are much better. I used one from DRB Fab and it worked extremely well.

I will say though that the lower steering shaft is sometimes out of round because someone overtightened the clamp bolt. So you may have to pull the lower shaft and clean it up a bit as the fit of the DRB bearing is tight.

I solved this with an updated lower column that uses a universal joint a each end.

My steering wheel is still tight 37 years in... 💡

(at least there is no up down, side to side movement from in the cab)

But. If your's is wasted, you probably want to look into Gary's solution.

Thank you guys.. always a wonderful resource I hope we’re all able to keep it strong and relevant.

SteveC

Thank you guys.. always a wonderful resource I hope we’re all able to keep it strong and relevant.

SteveC

Oh and I did get one ordered I’ll post my experience installing it. I already installed a new gear box, pump and upgraded the steering shaft. So hopefully I’ll get it properly aligned and back on the road.

I second the DRB Fab replacement part. I installed this along with a new gearbox, lower shaft, and power steering pump.

Our original bearing was shot as well and like Gary mentioned, the housing was out of whack a bit. We had to remove the entire steering column to get the old one out. That part of the process was a little tedious but not difficult. Removing the old bearing wasn't an issue -- it basically fell apart and ball bearings are still showing up on the drive way 3 months later.

I second the DRB Fab replacement part. I installed this along with a new gearbox, lower shaft, and power steering pump.

Our original bearing was shot as well and like Gary mentioned, the housing was out of whack a bit. We had to remove the entire steering column to get the old one out. That part of the process was a little tedious but not difficult. Removing the old bearing wasn't an issue -- it basically fell apart and ball bearings are still showing up on the drive way 3 months later.

Right on! Thanks for the feedback I was thinking I went overboard by replacing everything but thought might as well while I’m at it. I’m hoping this also takes care of the vibration when I apply the brakes it’s not bad but it started after I got my first alignment and before I started replacing stuff. They wanted almost 2k for everything! But I’ll be taking it back after I get everything installed myself for around 500$

Right on! Thanks for the feedback I was thinking I went overboard by replacing everything but thought might as well while I’m at it. I’m hoping this also takes care of the vibration when I apply the brakes it’s not bad but it started after I got my first alignment and before I started replacing stuff. They wanted almost 2k for everything! But I’ll be taking it back after I get everything installed myself for around 500$

We spent a couple of weekends replacing everything and it was worth the savings. The lower bearing was not part of the original plan. When I was purchasing the borgeson lower shaft, it was a suggested add on. I had a quick look at ours and decided to add it to the list. It's pricey but when you compare it to your old one, I think you'll agree it is a worthy investment.

• 3 weeks later...

SteveC

Greetings.. hope we all have a safe 4th! Well I got everything replaced ie,. Re-man steering gear box and pump, Borgeson lower shaft and the upper steering bearing from DRB Fab.

Also had La Bronkita re-aligned.

However.. now I hear a clicking sound coming through the steering column. I was able to just slip right in the bearing I had heard that could have been challenging but it slipped right in and has some play! As well and slight play on the gear box end.

Also the re-alignment helped but still pulling to the right.

Help! I’m frustrated at this point and don’t understand why now the clicking and after several re-alignments still pulling right.