Bullnose Forums

Air Cleaner functions

I was pretty certain on that setup for their driver's side valve cover.

I'm unsure of the passenger's side. Does one hole go to the other valve cover or to the PCV valve? Our air cleaner has two large holes on that side as well.

Also, in your pictures, what is the black piece around the bottom of the air cleaner and top of the carburetor?

And the two large holes are for the two air pump bypass valves.

Dual A.I.R. pumps!

Dual diverter valves.

Both need to be vented somewhere.

That somewhere is into the passenger side of the filter housing....

I got a pair of rubber plugs from the HELP section and plugged them, so I'm not drawing hot air from the engine bay.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the two large holes are for the two air pump bypass valves.

Dual A.I.R. pumps!

Dual diverter valves.

Both need to be vented somewhere.

That somewhere is into the passenger side of the filter housing....

I got a pair of rubber plugs from the HELP section and plugged them, so I'm not drawing hot air from the engine bay.

Those are the master cylinder seals you were talking about. Could you share the part number?

So we've had a productive weekend. We got up Saturday morning and headed to the yard to see if we could find a delay valve to replace the one on the huge 460 air cleaner we found as the one it came with had a broken leg.

Around here it's real rare to even find a carbureted engine anymore, so we didn't have much expectation, but we managed to find an 84 mercury grand marquis and had to fight with it a while to get the hood open, but once we did, we found an air cleaner much closer to the size our truck would have had. The snorkel was on the wrong side, but we knew we could potentially flip the hose to the other side so we went ahead and grabbed the air cleaner and were prepared to leave.

We turn the corner and there it is - a brand new 82 F250 that had just shown up. This thing was clearly garaged for a large part of it's life. We look in the engine bay and it's got the same 400 we have, along with it's original air cleaner. Inside the truck, we find all of the trim is in much better shape than any we've come across in a yard, so we took the pieces we needed and headed home.

This morning we reinstalled the front sway bar, and then cleaned up our new air cleaner and got it installed.

I've understood that the factory air cleaners would function better than the old one we had sucking in hot air, but it was noticeably better running with it. It seems to run smoother and I swear it feels like it has more pick up now.

First a test fit:

IMG_2927.jpeg.3256aca22f774c50396500b3f5a2b317.jpeg

Then, after a little cleaning:

IMG_2943.jpeg.f1cc056e7ed6019761a024a04aa04139.jpeg

So we've had a productive weekend. We got up Saturday morning and headed to the yard to see if we could find a delay valve to replace the one on the huge 460 air cleaner we found as the one it came with had a broken leg.

Around here it's real rare to even find a carbureted engine anymore, so we didn't have much expectation, but we managed to find an 84 mercury grand marquis and had to fight with it a while to get the hood open, but once we did, we found an air cleaner much closer to the size our truck would have had. The snorkel was on the wrong side, but we knew we could potentially flip the hose to the other side so we went ahead and grabbed the air cleaner and were prepared to leave.

We turn the corner and there it is - a brand new 82 F250 that had just shown up. This thing was clearly garaged for a large part of it's life. We look in the engine bay and it's got the same 400 we have, along with it's original air cleaner. Inside the truck, we find all of the trim is in much better shape than any we've come across in a yard, so we took the pieces we needed and headed home.

This morning we reinstalled the front sway bar, and then cleaned up our new air cleaner and got it installed.

I've understood that the factory air cleaners would function better than the old one we had sucking in hot air, but it was noticeably better running with it. It seems to run smoother and I swear it feels like it has more pick up now.

First a test fit:

That looks mighty good on there! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Ford generally had the carburetor tuned for an inlet air temperature of about 105° F (CWM's should be colour coded)

This way, as long as the air cleaner flap was doing it's part,, the engine would be able to consistently meter fuel to meet the ewissions™ standard in place at the time.

With an open element, the inlet air temperature is completely dependant on the season and how hot it is under the hood in the engine bay.

That looks mighty good on there! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Ford generally had the carburetor tuned for an inlet air temperature of about 105° F (CWM's should be colour coded)

This way, as long as the air cleaner flap was doing it's part,, the engine would be able to consistently meter fuel to meet the ewissions™ standard in place at the time.

With an open element, the inlet air temperature is completely dependant on the season and how hot it is under the hood in the engine bay.

Yes, it does look much better. And I'm sure it'll run better. As Jim said, with a carb the desired air/fuel ratio can only be achieved when you keep the inlet air temp constant. So it certainly will run better with the original system in place.

First a test fit:

By the way, I just noticed that you appear to have the aux battery setup but with the later coolant/washer reservoir on it. But I can't really see the aux battery tray, so maybe not?

By the way, I just noticed that you appear to have the aux battery setup but with the later coolant/washer reservoir on it. But I can't really see the aux battery tray, so maybe not?

Underhood tool box?

"Ewissions". :nabble_smiley_whistling:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

We do have the later coolant/washer reservoir but we have it mounted backwards due to some technical difficulties. We got that and the bracket off of a later model Bronco. Right now the reservoir is mounted where the air cleaner was on the Bronco.

We just recently acquired a new reservoir closer to the factory style but we haven’t mounted it yet.

I’d love the toolbox but the price they are going for is insane.