Bullnose Forums

Windshield area leaking

Kdoodah

Hi y’all. Nutshell version is my butyl ribbon is hanging in my 86 and therefore water dripping in. A windshield guy told me the glass needs to be pulled and an assessment of the rust inside and options. Am I in for a big mess and expense?

Side story is the body shop the windshield fella does contract work for, was less than enthusiastic about a job like this? Odd vibe from them to say the least.

If the pinch weld where the glue sits is rusted out it's a nightmare.

Needs new metal welded in, and a proper paint job before replacing the glass.

Also, not many windshield guys today know how to remove and install the surrounding trim clips that fit onto the little metal studs

If the pinch weld where the glue sits is rusted out it's a nightmare.

Needs new metal welded in, and a proper paint job before replacing the glass.

Also, not many windshield guys today know how to remove and install the surrounding trim clips that fit onto the little metal studs

When I had my go-to windshield guy replace the windshield on my 84, I made sure to remove the trim myself for that reason before he arrived. All it takes is a harbor freight pick and some knack!

Once the trim is removed the windshield job is like any other. The seal between the window and body is cut (sawed off) and the old windshield is removed... If you have a good dash it might be worthwhile pulling it out as well as you don't want them to damage it (I did anyway).

If the trim retaining clips are rusted, would have good to have spares on hand

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FC3KDR9/?coliid=IO8U5MLLAZ94X&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_1T9VNNH69ZEK3KMHH9B6

When I had my go-to windshield guy replace the windshield on my 84, I made sure to remove the trim myself for that reason before he arrived. All it takes is a harbor freight pick and some knack!

Once the trim is removed the windshield job is like any other. The seal between the window and body is cut (sawed off) and the old windshield is removed... If you have a good dash it might be worthwhile pulling it out as well as you don't want them to damage it (I did anyway).

If the trim retaining clips are rusted, would have good to have spares on hand

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FC3KDR9/?coliid=IO8U5MLLAZ94X&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_1T9VNNH69ZEK3KMHH9B6

I picked up a box of Auveco clips at my local auto body supply.

Box of 25 IIRC, but I'd rather be looking at them that looking FOR them.... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I picked up a box of Auveco clips at my local auto body supply.

Box of 25 IIRC, but I'd rather be looking at them that looking FOR them.... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Also note our trucks use 2 different types of trim clips.

IIRC the bottom ones where some long things.

Think I got my clips from LMC or was it Dennis Carpenter?

Dave ----

Dave ----

Bottom clips are different

Also there's usually a pair of setting blocks at the bottom.

Dave ----

Looks that there is (at least) to different clips shapes available on Amazon.

Do they all fit our trucks?

IMG_9941.jpeg.f0b58eaf62615f25442712f2abcf2af0.jpeg

IMG_9940.jpeg.d2b09f64903946a14914e852c6644eb3.jpeg

Looks that there is (at least) to different clips shapes available on Amazon.

Do they all fit our trucks?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n152798/IMG_9941.jpeg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n152798/IMG_9940.jpeg

I did not know there were 2 types of the small clips.

I meant the truck uses 2 different size clips, small like shown (top?) and a longer one that IIRC is used at the bottom and may use 2 pins as it has been years since I did my glass & trim work.

BTW if you are missing the clip pins before paint is done because of rust you can use a stud welder for pulling dents and they make pins that fit it to weld in place.

Now back in the day you could get pins that screw into the lip area but dont know if you can any more?

Maybe old body shops may have some tucked away some where?

Dave ----