Bullnose Forums

Parts truck

I picked up a 1985 f150 300 inline 6 4spd yesterday for only $300. It’s extremely rusty and has been off the road since 2017. The engine is extremely locked up and won’t budge. I plan on swapping the a/c and cruise into my truck. Is it factory for a manual truck to have a automatic column so it has cruise? Also was the double wheel well trim an option?IMG_2205.jpeg.5af920504c9527b3934b7b724f8aba91.jpegIMG_2230.jpeg.38762e93c868731a030d2db842b94aec.jpegIMG_2208.jpeg.6b1ec810a0aadb92b22bc2e7a093ce71.jpegIMG_2206.jpeg.6f583aadfc530e645d7c630edb0d8456.jpegIMG_2220.jpeg.2fc4a4b3a9f8591adc3a9c37e297dac8.jpeg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it factory for a manual truck to have a automatic column so it has cruise?

Not sure to understand your question. Even the standard (manual) transmission trucks can have cruise.

Right, manuals with manual columns can have speed control, aka cruise. Big Blue does.

As for the A/C, did the truck you are installing it on come with A/C? If not you in for a lot of work as the firewalls are different.

Right, manuals with manual columns can have speed control, aka cruise. Big Blue does.

As for the A/C, did the truck you are installing it on come with A/C? If not you in for a lot of work as the firewalls are different.

I believe your parts truck is really multiple parts trucks

Maybe someone changed the column at on time. Is there quite a difference in the firewall? Has anyone converted a non a/c truck to have a/c?

Has anyone converted a non a/c truck to have a/c?

Not me, but I considered so. Don't forget all the air ducts and the dash air outputs. And some supplemental holes through the firewall.

Pretty sure that someone here did this swap, but looks to not be easy job.

Maybe someone changed the column at on time. Is there quite a difference in the firewall? Has anyone converted a non a/c truck to have a/c?

Dave/Fuzzface2 has put A/C in a non-A/C truck. You might want to read how he did it here.

Dave/Fuzzface2 has put A/C in a non-A/C truck. You might want to read how he did it here.

I have one that is a stalled project. too many other things come up. but I did have a parts truck being stripped so I could make a template to mount on my non ac truck and then make changes. I already had a factory ac setup waiting and a complete dash restored and crated. (still) hopefully I can get back to body working the cab soon. in my case I was removing a dealer air install and going factory. so, I needed to weld back steel where cuts had been made for the refrigerant hoses. the heater only box does have a different footprint than the ac. blower/ heater core are both under the hood where the ac has the evaporator under the hood with a mating duct mounted inside containing the heater core. this is best done with the whole dash removed but I won't go as far as to say it cannot be done otherwise. but consider this. the factory ac dash is different. sure, you can cut holes like the dealer did but personally I would source the dash also. and I have done this many times.

I have one that is a stalled project. too many other things come up. but I did have a parts truck being stripped so I could make a template to mount on my non ac truck and then make changes. I already had a factory ac setup waiting and a complete dash restored and crated. (still) hopefully I can get back to body working the cab soon. in my case I was removing a dealer air install and going factory. so, I needed to weld back steel where cuts had been made for the refrigerant hoses. the heater only box does have a different footprint than the ac. blower/ heater core are both under the hood where the ac has the evaporator under the hood with a mating duct mounted inside containing the heater core. this is best done with the whole dash removed but I won't go as far as to say it cannot be done otherwise. but consider this. the factory ac dash is different. sure, you can cut holes like the dealer did but personally I would source the dash also. and I have done this many times.

Sorry late to the party.

As Mat said it looks like that truck is made up from a few different ones.

Is the rest of the speed control under the hood of the truck?

If not then I would say something happened to the steering column and that one with the shifter was swapped in.

As for the AC, yes I added factory AC to a non-factory truck but not everyone or is that anyone?

Would do what I did and take half the AC firewall from an AC truck and graph it in to a non-AC truck.

They say you can cut the 3rd large hole, a few bolt holes and the heater hose hose to fit the AC box to the non-AC firewall.

Also as said the AC dash has the vents and the duct work needed to get air from the HVAC box on the firewall into the cab. The full dash / duct work will swap without issues.

There is a AC harness that plugs into the non-AC trucks harness.

You unplug a "loop" and plug in this AC harness that then plugs into the AC fan switch and blower motor.

You will also need the HVAC control but if you swap over the AC dash you will have the HVAC control, AC fan switch and duct work.

When I did my AC swap I also took the parts truck full wiring harness thinking the AC harness was built into it and then found it was a add on.

But it did work in my favor as the dual fuel tank is built into the trucks main harness and I added duel tanks to my flare side.

So in short the AC HVAC box on the firewall, dash with vents and duct work and the AC jumper harness.

Dave ----

Sorry late to the party.

As Mat said it looks like that truck is made up from a few different ones.

Is the rest of the speed control under the hood of the truck?

If not then I would say something happened to the steering column and that one with the shifter was swapped in.

As for the AC, yes I added factory AC to a non-factory truck but not everyone or is that anyone?

Would do what I did and take half the AC firewall from an AC truck and graph it in to a non-AC truck.

They say you can cut the 3rd large hole, a few bolt holes and the heater hose hose to fit the AC box to the non-AC firewall.

Also as said the AC dash has the vents and the duct work needed to get air from the HVAC box on the firewall into the cab. The full dash / duct work will swap without issues.

There is a AC harness that plugs into the non-AC trucks harness.

You unplug a "loop" and plug in this AC harness that then plugs into the AC fan switch and blower motor.

You will also need the HVAC control but if you swap over the AC dash you will have the HVAC control, AC fan switch and duct work.

When I did my AC swap I also took the parts truck full wiring harness thinking the AC harness was built into it and then found it was a add on.

But it did work in my favor as the dual fuel tank is built into the trucks main harness and I added duel tanks to my flare side.

So in short the AC HVAC box on the firewall, dash with vents and duct work and the AC jumper harness.

Dave ----

Oh if you have all the under hood parts for AC on a 300, compressor brackets, compressor or manifolds bolted to it, hoses and pulleys / water pump and think crank.

Even if you dont use them you can sell them as they are getting hard to find for a 300 motor, V8's not so hard.

Dave ----