Bullnose Forums

300 motor mount

Yesterdays task of dropping my rebuilt engine into the hole went very smoothly and without incident.

IMG_3026.jpeg.4dcd72b90b1069f69db0130924d574d8.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg.47b1559ec652cd098a0690e8bdc4c0f5.jpeg

That is until I went install the nuts to secure the mounts to the perches. The left mount matches the angle of the perch and mates up perfectly. The right side mount is at an angle that is much different than the perch.

IMG_3024.jpeg.71d03e8bb665eb709195f429bdb08b8c.jpeg

Both mounts are new and have been checked multiple times for correct part #, year range, application, etc. Perches are original from the factory as installed for the I6

Any ideas as to what might be going on? It’s got to be something simple but I’m not coming up with any good ideas.

Cheers

That's really weird. :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm no 300 expert, so I've never encountered this before, but I'm subscribing so I can learn.

do you still have the removed mounts to inspect for angle differences? I have a set from an 83 that I am rebuilding still on the shelf that I could check.

do you still have the removed mounts to inspect for angle differences? I have a set from an 83 that I am rebuilding still on the shelf that I could check.

Yes, in fact I have three sets. The factory original set (1985), the set off of the rebuilt engine (1995) and a new set from Rock Auto.

The ‘85 and ‘95 are the same angle. I’m in the process of removing the Rock Auto mount now to check its angle.

One bit of info that I believe will help us get to the bottom of this.

The original (1985) mount has delaminated. The rubber separated from the metal bracket. I can imagine that if I were to torque down the nut on the Rock Auto mount, that it would cause that mount to delaminate also.

Additional info, the angle of the perch is 45 deg +/- from horizontal. The angle of the ‘85 and ‘95 mounts are also 45 deg.

I need to get that Rock Auto mount off and on the bench for comparison. Back in a few.

Yes, in fact I have three sets. The factory original set (1985), the set off of the rebuilt engine (1995) and a new set from Rock Auto.

The ‘85 and ‘95 are the same angle. I’m in the process of removing the Rock Auto mount now to check its angle.

One bit of info that I believe will help us get to the bottom of this.

The original (1985) mount has delaminated. The rubber separated from the metal bracket. I can imagine that if I were to torque down the nut on the Rock Auto mount, that it would cause that mount to delaminate also.

Additional info, the angle of the perch is 45 deg +/- from horizontal. The angle of the ‘85 and ‘95 mounts are also 45 deg.

I need to get that Rock Auto mount off and on the bench for comparison. Back in a few.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I took off the mount that was purchased from Rock Auto (Pioneer 602635) and installed the factory mount from the ‘95.

IMG_3029.jpeg.183108171bb795b1a3aeddff2b60f192.jpeg

The mount looks fine for its age and will probably never get around to trying to get my hands on a NOS one, but word of caution for those buying aftermarket.

Check the angle of the new mount. The factory perch sits @ 45 deg +/- The mount from Pioneer is closer to 57 deg.

Pioneer WILL be getting a nasty-gram from me!

I took off the mount that was purchased from Rock Auto (Pioneer 602635) and installed the factory mount from the ‘95.

The mount looks fine for its age and will probably never get around to trying to get my hands on a NOS one, but word of caution for those buying aftermarket.

Check the angle of the new mount. The factory perch sits @ 45 deg +/- The mount from Pioneer is closer to 57 deg.

Next up, install of the 4R70W!

Install of my new torque converter went very well. All the right clunks, face of mounting pads are correct distance from face of case, etc. Now I just need to get everything aligned and run the bolts to the block.

Wish me luck.

Next up, install of the 4R70W!

Install of my new torque converter went very well. All the right clunks, face of mounting pads are correct distance from face of case, etc. Now I just need to get everything aligned and run the bolts to the block.

Wish me luck.

Good luck on your project! That engine looks beautiful 👍

Keep an eye on ebay; I bought NOS Ford ones for mine off of there last year. They may still have some on there.

Keep an eye on ebay; I bought NOS Ford ones for mine off of there last year. They may still have some on there.

Now I see what you were talking of but I also knew that when talking not I see it on my laptop.

Good to hear you got a "fix" for the problem.

Is it just that 1 RA mount that is off or both of them?

I know RA has different level / price / options for parts listed are the mounts done that way also or do they only offer the 1 option?

Dave ----

Now I see what you were talking of but I also knew that when talking not I see it on my laptop.

Good to hear you got a "fix" for the problem.

Is it just that 1 RA mount that is off or both of them?

I know RA has different level / price / options for parts listed are the mounts done that way also or do they only offer the 1 option?

Dave ----

Thanks big6john and pig!

Dave, the issue seems to be isolated to the RH mount. The left aligns perfectly and now that I’ve put back into use the ‘95 RH mount, it aligns also, all is good.

One of the good things about Rock Auto is that I was able to get from their site all of my orders over the years. Therefore I was able to determine which brand and part# I had purchased a long time ago. I don’t know what all was offered at the time, however currently there are 6 different brands of mounts. Like many other aftermarket parts, there is probably only 1 manufacturer and all 6 simply put them in their own box.