Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That escalated quickly!

I would consider a swap to a 235. From the outside you can't tell the difference, but they have a full-pressure oiling system instead of the dip rods, and the 12V starter. So we could bolt that in and still use the rest of the original driveline.

And we could do a rebuilt ourselves by just honing the cylinders. But I'd rather find a used one that is guaranteed to run. So if anyone of knows of a Chevy 235...

I would consider a swap to a 235. From the outside you can't tell the difference, but they have a full-pressure oiling system instead of the dip rods, and the 12V starter. So we could bolt that in and still use the rest of the original driveline.

And we could do a rebuilt ourselves by just honing the cylinders. But I'd rather find a used one that is guaranteed to run. So if anyone of knows of a Chevy 235...

That puts a wrench into the system :nabble_smiley_cry:

I still think I would work with him to get this running as he can learn from it none the less.

Where is that leak tanking the block?

For S&G what if you were to grind that crack out and clean the area then heat it with a torch and stick weld up the crack?

You cant cant loose anything but some time to try.

Even if it still leaks what you have to go thru just to get it to run he will learn.

Dave ----

I do know where there is a rebuilt 235, however it is a 1954 Corvette engine that the owner decided to restomod the car instead of restoring. There is also a rebuilt Powerglide with it. If he were to sell it minus the triple Carter YHs and split exhaust, it's just a slightly warmed up 235 (Jack Clifford hydraulic cam equivalent of the original Blue Flame solid lifter one).

It is actually not a 1953/54 Corvette block as he found out when the motor mount locations were wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/353246321051853/

Dave - If it weren't for the other engines coming out of the woodwork I could see if the engine would run despite the cracks and then hope I could weld them up. But with these other options...

Bill - I assume that engine is on the East Coast, so I'd have a long trip to get it if so. But, it is a possibility. The Powerflush might be a nice addition. Can you ask how much?

Vivek - Nice find. The price isn't too bad and the distance is much better than the East Coast. But the "fair" condition is slightly worrying. On the other hand the tranny would be a bonus, although I'd bet the one in this pickup has a lower 1st gear.

All - My brother talked to a friend of his/ours that knows of a 235 sitting on another friend's garage floor. He bought it to put in a truck but sold the truck before he got it installed. So he's supposed to ask about it tomorrow or Monday. It is only 100 miles away and said to be running when purchased.

So thanks, y'all! Things are looking less dim this evening. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Dave - If it weren't for the other engines coming out of the woodwork I could see if the engine would run despite the cracks and then hope I could weld them up. But with these other options...

Bill - I assume that engine is on the East Coast, so I'd have a long trip to get it if so. But, it is a possibility. The Powerflush might be a nice addition. Can you ask how much?

Vivek - Nice find. The price isn't too bad and the distance is much better than the East Coast. But the "fair" condition is slightly worrying. On the other hand the tranny would be a bonus, although I'd bet the one in this pickup has a lower 1st gear.

All - My brother talked to a friend of his/ours that knows of a 235 sitting on another friend's garage floor. He bought it to put in a truck but sold the truck before he got it installed. So he's supposed to ask about it tomorrow or Monday. It is only 100 miles away and said to be running when purchased.

So thanks, y'all! Things are looking less dim this evening. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I will call him tomorrow and find out. Both as I said were rebuilt by me.

If this was on a FORD, should be Godzilla swap time! Glad Ford decided to come out with a compact pushrod offering. Tired of Coyote swaps.

Why not just LS swap it?

It IS a Chevy after all! ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿคฎ

You and I are cut of different cloth, my friend! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Amazing what pops out of the shadows wen you know how to make the right friends. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You've got this Gary!

I've been waiting for you to address the Chevy since you went and dragged it out of the weeds. ๐Ÿ‘