Bullnose Forums

1984 4.9L carburetor hold down bolts/nuts...

I never saw a problem there, the issue I always saw was the throttle body to float bowl/main body screws coming loose.

Yep that is where I have seen them come loose also not the carb to intake manifold.

Dave ----

I never saw a problem there, the issue I always saw was the throttle body to float bowl/main body screws coming loose.

Yep that is where I have seen them come loose also not the carb to intake manifold.

Dave ----

Dave, now you know why every YF/YFA I rebuilt had those loctited.

David, I don’t have a technical answer but I have a theory…

When you go to remove the carburetor, the nuts don’t suddenly “crack” loose… they release gradually and evenly.

I assume this is due to the very fine threads combined with some rebound on the compressed gasket material. Also the carburetor flange is soft metal so the nuts seem to bite into it just a little… like I said, it isn’t a scientific engineering answer, just an observation.

I have never had one come loose at the mounting studs, but I have had the bowl come loose from the base plate!

David, I don’t have a technical answer but I have a theory…

When you go to remove the carburetor, the nuts don’t suddenly “crack” loose… they release gradually and evenly.

I assume this is due to the very fine threads combined with some rebound on the compressed gasket material. Also the carburetor flange is soft metal so the nuts seem to bite into it just a little… like I said, it isn’t a scientific engineering answer, just an observation.

I have never had one come loose at the mounting studs, but I have had the bowl come loose from the base plate!

Thanks, Jonathan!