Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeff - There are times in Big Blue's transformation that I wanted to document what I was doing w/o comment, but usually I was looking for input, suggestions, etc.

So my thinking is that I might go back and transform the Word document I have, which is embedded in the first post in that thread, and put the info from the document directly in a post or posts. That's because several have said the embedded document doesn't work for them.

I just tested that on our InVision test forum by copying the text from the file called Big Blue's Spec Card and pasting it into a reply. Go check it out here.

Looks good sir! I found the second version easier to read through.

Maybe I need to do the same for Darth?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff - There are times in Big Blue's transformation that I wanted to document what I was doing w/o comment, but usually I was looking for input, suggestions, etc.

So my thinking is that I might go back and transform the Word document I have, which is embedded in the first post in that thread, and put the info from the document directly in a post or posts. That's because several have said the embedded document doesn't work for them.

I just tested that on our InVision test forum by copying the text from the file called Big Blue's Spec Card and pasting it into a reply. Go check it out here.

I see the “Main” thread (or blog, no matter how call it) of a “storyboard” as a kind of introduction and table of contents.

Then a reader could jump directly to the specific subject.

Let’s take an example.

Let’s say I am wondering what kind of modifications were made on Big Blue’s engine, did you transform it from carb to EFI or did you entirely swapped a carb engine for an EFI one. And if it’s the same engine with a carb/EFI swap, I want to follow this story, and read at members interactions with this specific transformation.

Presently, it’s probably hard to find (when did it start in the whole thread) and hard to follow (possible that it’s cut with some other modifications somewhere else in Big Blue, maybe LEDs in the cluster or winch on the bumper :nabble_smiley_wink:).

If the whole transformation is split into subjects, I could find the “Engine” chapter, and then go directly to this specific story I am curious to read.

Such “structure” is difficult to make during a transformation or restoration process. One day we have a question about electricity, the day after it’s about fuel tank, and the following day about ignition timing.

With Nabble, such structured storyboard can be made after it’s ended. Although not sure how to make it.

Nabble is nice for the “present” live conversations. But not easy to read and search at the “past” stories.

So, if the next platform could offer this kind of feature, would be really nice. Much easier to go back consulting “past” threads.

Looks good sir! I found the second version easier to read through.

Maybe I need to do the same for Darth?

Bill - If you mean the one that entitled "Big Blue" instead of "Big Blue's Specs" then that's supposed to be readable. But the Spec's version is what I have laminated and post with the truck at shows.

As far as doing something like that for Darth, sure. But since we don't know what forum platform we are going to use we don't yet know how well a Word document can be pasted in and retain its format. It seems to work well with InVision, as shown on my two documents.

Jim avoids any embedded document, and others have problems with them as well, so creating it in Word and then pasting it in should work nicely.

I see the “Main” thread (or blog, no matter how call it) of a “storyboard” as a kind of introduction and table of contents.

Then a reader could jump directly to the specific subject.

Let’s take an example.

Let’s say I am wondering what kind of modifications were made on Big Blue’s engine, did you transform it from carb to EFI or did you entirely swapped a carb engine for an EFI one. And if it’s the same engine with a carb/EFI swap, I want to follow this story, and read at members interactions with this specific transformation.

Presently, it’s probably hard to find (when did it start in the whole thread) and hard to follow (possible that it’s cut with some other modifications somewhere else in Big Blue, maybe LEDs in the cluster or winch on the bumper :nabble_smiley_wink:).

If the whole transformation is split into subjects, I could find the “Engine” chapter, and then go directly to this specific story I am curious to read.

Such “structure” is difficult to make during a transformation or restoration process. One day we have a question about electricity, the day after it’s about fuel tank, and the following day about ignition timing.

With Nabble, such structured storyboard can be made after it’s ended. Although not sure how to make it.

Nabble is nice for the “present” live conversations. But not easy to read and search at the “past” stories.

So, if the next platform could offer this kind of feature, would be really nice. Much easier to go back consulting “past” threads.

Jeff - I think I understand what you are saying. But I don't think any platform will make it easy to do what you are wanting.

I believe it is up to the "writer" to decide how to organize things. In my case Big Blue's Transformation thread was about anything I did to make him what I wanted him to be. And, as you suggested, one day I was working on "this" and on another day I was working on "that".

So if the writer has a thread like that then the only way to read up on what was done on the engine is either to summarize all of that when the work is over, or give links to the discussions about it in the "big" thread. Or both - summarize and put in links to the discussions.

On the other hand, I could have chosen to only discuss the engine in an Engine thread, and the transfer case in a Transfer Case thread. I did some of that with a thread on the cameras with the thread Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System and the thread on Clutch Switch Bypass For Big Blue. And while there were a few others, they were the exception.

So please tell me what you have in mind? How can the platform fix this? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Jeff - I think I understand what you are saying. But I don't think any platform will make it easy to do what you are wanting.

I believe it is up to the "writer" to decide how to organize things. In my case Big Blue's Transformation thread was about anything I did to make him what I wanted him to be. And, as you suggested, one day I was working on "this" and on another day I was working on "that".

So if the writer has a thread like that then the only way to read up on what was done on the engine is either to summarize all of that when the work is over, or give links to the discussions about it in the "big" thread. Or both - summarize and put in links to the discussions.

On the other hand, I could have chosen to only discuss the engine in an Engine thread, and the transfer case in a Transfer Case thread. I did some of that with a thread on the cameras with the thread Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System and the thread on Clutch Switch Bypass For Big Blue. And while there were a few others, they were the exception.

So please tell me what you have in mind? How can the platform fix this? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Ok, we are sort of ready to test both phpBB and the InVision platforms. You can get to either of them via those links or by going to the Test Forums item in the menu above.

Neither of those platforms knows anything about you so you'll have sign up for them. And for simplicity I'd suggest that you use your current handle/screen name from here. That way we'll know to whom we are replying.

Also, I've created a new sub-forum called New Forum Platform Discussions. It looks like a folder on the main page, and I've moved this thread into it. Plus I've created threads for discussing the InVision and the phpBB platforms.

The game is ON! Please have a play with both of them and let us know what you think. And, I don't remember what the joining process is for either of them, so when you join please document what you had to do and how it went for you. :nabble_waving_orig:

Ok, we are sort of ready to test both phpBB and the InVision platforms. You can get to either of them via those links or by going to the Test Forums item in the menu above.

Neither of those platforms knows anything about you so you'll have sign up for them. And for simplicity I'd suggest that you use your current handle/screen name from here. That way we'll know to whom we are replying.

Also, I've created a new sub-forum called New Forum Platform Discussions. It looks like a folder on the main page, and I've moved this thread into it. Plus I've created threads for discussing the InVision and the phpBB platforms.

The game is ON! Please have a play with both of them and let us know what you think. And, I don't remember what the joining process is for either of them, so when you join please document what you had to do and how it went for you. :nabble_waving_orig:

Houston, we have a problem. phpBB I went through the register process and when I got to British or American English and made my selection, it dumped me out before I had finished the process. When I went back to log-in, it said I wasn't registered, I used Firefox, Edge and Chrome, same results.

On InVision, I had registered when you first brought it up, and now don't remember the password. Maybe you or Chris can erase that profile so I can start over.

I had the same problem as Bill on the phpbb. When you’re signing up it kicks you out when you choose your language.

I tried the invision and uploading a pic is a lot easier then nabbel on an iPhone.

I had the same problem as Bill on the phpbb. When you’re signing up it kicks you out when you choose your language.

I tried the invision and uploading a pic is a lot easier then nabbel on an iPhone.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the trouble. I'll chalk it up to a idiosyncracy of phpBB. I've removed the American language pack - British English is the default for some reason, so while I know it feels weird to use British English in a Ford Truck forum, play along for now, ok? :)

I just created another user for myself and it seemed to work alright?

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the trouble. I'll chalk it up to a idiosyncracy of phpBB. I've removed the American language pack - British English is the default for some reason, so while I know it feels weird to use British English in a Ford Truck forum, play along for now, ok? :)

I just created another user for myself and it seemed to work alright?

Thanks, Chris.

Bill - I've emailed you the new password for InVision.

Bummer on the language bit. I hope that the change Chris made sorts that, at least for now.

And yes, I agree that the picture loading is much easier than Nabble. Have you tried it on phpBB?