Bullnose Forums

Engine run stand wiring.

A buddy of mine is building an engine run stand for his ford sb.

Keeping it as simple as possible.

No altenator.

No electric fan.

Can someone post a link to a fairly simple wiring diagram?Other than the starter cables what gauge

wire can I use?

We don't have a wiring diagram for such a simple system. But the one below is probably the easiest to use. You'll need battery power, and if you are using a DS-II ignition module and distributor you'll need a ballast resistor of about 1 ohm. The parts stores used to carry a white ballast resistor that would work nicely. Run the power through that to the hot side of the coil and battery power to the red wire of the DS-II module. And then wire the distributor and coil to the module as shown.

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.db4ac84df4f25b6eaf8991cf60d85575.jpg

All you need is power to the coil, a momentary button for the starter relay and maybe 7V to the choke?

Is he going to have instrumentation?

What's he using for ignition?

An HEI would definitely be the simplest solution.

You don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power

All you need is power to the coil, a momentary button for the starter relay and maybe 7V to the choke?

Thanks. I will pass that info on to him.

Jim - Help me understand. Are you saying that with the HEI you "don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power" or that's all you need with any ignition? I understand and agree with the HEI not needing anything else, but how does that work with DS-II?

Jim - Help me understand. Are you saying that with the HEI you "don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power" or that's all you need with any ignition? I understand and agree with the HEI not needing anything else, but how does that work with DS-II?

It doesn't "work with DSII," it replaces it entirely

ALL-IN-ONE

There's not much to grasp. 🤷‍♂️

The coil and ignition module are in the distributor cap.

It's like everything GM, one wire...

If you want a tach there's a second wire, leading to that

It doesn't "work with DSII," it replaces it entirely

ALL-IN-ONE

There's not much to grasp. 🤷‍♂️

The coil and ignition module are in the distributor cap.

It's like everything GM, one wire...

If you want a tach there's a second wire, leading to that

My confusion was the way you worded it as it wasn't obvious that the need for power to just the coil was for the HEI solution. But I agree with you, the easiest approach would be to go with HEI as there's just the power to it and you are done.

My confusion was the way you worded it as it wasn't obvious that the need for power to just the coil was for the HEI solution. But I agree with you, the easiest approach would be to go with HEI as there's just the power to it and you are done.

Not sure what he is actually going to run in the truck. I have an hei that I can loan him to run the motor in. Thanks.

I wasn't meaning to be obtuse.

I've got a vocabulary, and I use it