Bullnose Forums

E4OD - no forward gears only reverse

Your intuition is confirmed. I stopped at a transmission shop for a second opinion. The guy there noticed bigger metal shavings away from magnet in the pan. Also, the fluid smelled burnt to him. He advised to “stick a fork in it” as you stated earlier. Sigh.

He’ll look into guys he knows that rebuild E4OD transmissions. His shop has no interest in taking on a transmission project that is mismatched, so to speak (i.e. E4OD instead of C6). He’s seen issues with standalone controllers. IDK, I’ve heard positive reports, whenever I’ve asked around about it.

So, I have to uninstall the transmission, get it to a guy, and reinstall myself. We’ll see how this plays out. I’ve already thrown 2k at the transmission controller and wiring issue. It appears to be a Jasper transmission.

Wish I had better news to report.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news . 😔

I've heard nothing but good about US Shift controllers.

I've heard stories of people who screw up the installation and blame the unit. 🤥

Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have to uninstall the transmission, get it to a guy, and reinstall myself. We’ll see how this plays out. I’ve already thrown 2k at the transmission controller and wiring issue. It appears to be a Jasper transmission.

BTW, if you're a Horrid Fate member their big transmission jack is 'on sale' (like everything in the store, all the time! 😉)

The E4OD is a beast.

You could probably buy this for one time use and flip it on marketplace when your done.

At least there would be no pressure to get it back like a rental...

Screenshot_2024-01-30-21-25-51-229.jpeg.5485dec0ed3e54bb9762b2ea876d7d11.jpeg

BTW, if you're a Horrid Fate member their big transmission jack is 'on sale' (like everything in the store, all the time! 😉)

The E4OD is a beast.

You could probably buy this for one time use and flip it on marketplace when your done.

a trans jack is almost a must. some men are able to bench press one out, but I cannot. and getting one in and aligned is yet another challenge. however, the e4od does not have a flat place on it. the pan does not fit any lift. fill the voids on each side with 2x4 or 2x2, whichever fits best so the unit sits still.

a trans jack is almost a must. some men are able to bench press one out, but I cannot. and getting one in and aligned is yet another challenge. however, the e4od does not have a flat place on it. the pan does not fit any lift. fill the voids on each side with 2x4 or 2x2, whichever fits best so the unit sits still.

I would NOT suggest the wibbly wobbly little trans jacks most people think of when dealing with an E4OD.

Again I'm no "expert" but I choose my battles wisely.

The E4OD is a beast.

Looks like a cheap copy of my Walker one.

Looks like a cheap copy of my Walker one.

At least they're ripping off the best?

I bought a 3' pipe wrench for 29.95 the other day to hold my destroyed pinion yoke for 15 seconds while I drove the nut off.

If it's cheap and it works once, it's done the job and can become yard art for all I care.

If it takes this guy a month to get his trans back from the shop, how does he pick up a rental without a truck?

Do you use it for an hour. Return it. Wait for the call that the trans is ready and go pick up the rental again?

Truth. I was able to get mine in using a cradle I built, a floor jack, and some RV leveling jackstand things. By the time it was all over, I said "never again without a lift and a good transmission jack". Pics to document the ugliness near the bottom of this link.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Deuce-Build-Thread-td106643i20.html#a107747

Truth. I was able to get mine in using a cradle I built, a floor jack, and some RV leveling jackstand things. By the time it was all over, I said "never again without a lift and a good transmission jack". Pics to document the ugliness near the bottom of this link.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Deuce-Build-Thread-td106643i20.html#a107747

now Pete, that is the git r done spirit. wow.

now Pete, that is the git r done spirit. wow.

Agreed. Great job, Pete! I don’t suppose you’d recommend for anyone else to go down the same crazy road, would you?

I did find a site that sells kits for ford E4OD with videos for $600…

http://transmissionbench.com/E4OD4R100parts.html

But, after seeing your misadventure, I have to admit that it looks pretty overwhelming.

Agreed. Great job, Pete! I don’t suppose you’d recommend for anyone else to go down the same crazy road, would you?

I did find a site that sells kits for ford E4OD with videos for $600…

http://transmissionbench.com/E4OD4R100parts.html

But, after seeing your misadventure, I have to admit that it looks pretty overwhelming.

Thanks! The transmission bench road was the one I travelled. If you look back earlier in that page, I go through the process of rebuilding the trans and the tools I used, made or modified. The total cost of that road is more than $600 though. They strongly recommend you replace the solenoid pack and that was another 5-600.

All those transmission bench videos are on youtube, you can watch them first to see if it's something you want to attempt. I watched all 16 hours before I tore into it, and then of course watched them again while I was doing it. The videos say they are for the E4OD and the later 4R100, but they are really for the 4R100. Which is fine, they are mostly identical except for the part immediately behind the pump. The E4OD has a different arrangement there, which is not covered in the video. But once you've seen all the videos, you kind of know what to do with that part, even though it's not actually covered. Basically crack it all apart and replace the friction rings and steel rings and put it together.

There's a link to the first YT transmission bench video in that thread somewhere. But review the whole thread and the videos from TB to decide if it's something you want to take on.

I would certainly do it again (with a lift and a trans jack). My goal for my truck is that I can work on any part of it, so I have built everything myself. The only thing I haven't been into yet is the transfer case, and if it should start having problems, I will dig into it.