Bullnose Forums

Next issue Heater air flow

if your outside door is working correctly when operated by the dash panel then you should be able to trust that all others are getting the same available vacuum when told. it is not unusual for the vacuum switch to have a bad circuit(s) from age though.

I was only trying to point out this common cause of vacuum leaks.

When someone asks a question I try to walk them through the diagnostics.

So everything in the engine bay at a glance first.

Then on to tearing into the dash

Then the troubleshooting pages from the EVTM.

I well know the most likely culprits.

I start with that before I dive into a rabbit hole.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your outside door is working correctly when operated by the dash panel then you should be able to trust that all others are getting the same available vacuum when told. it is not unusual for the vacuum switch to have a bad circuit(s) from age though.

I assume vacuum switch you refer to is what I call the manifold, (pic attached), on the right side of the control head? I will try to check each pot vacuum line from the pot to the manifold while moving the control lever through the different positions and note if vacuum stays steady or bleeds off. I appreciate the help!Vacuum_plug_on_heater_controls.thumb.jpg.6defc277838eb7976e41169b0adb3c28.jpg

I was only trying to point out this common cause of vacuum leaks.

When someone asks a question I try to walk them through the diagnostics.

So everything in the engine bay at a glance first.

Then on to tearing into the dash

Then the troubleshooting pages from the EVTM.

I well know the most likely culprits.

I start with that before I dive into a rabbit hole.

At my age, 71, I appreciate everyone's replies and advise. I can't lay across the floorboard like I did years ago. Don't know what possessed me to buy the bullnose, but I have no regrets other than I need more money than I got. LOL. As I find issues, you guys are helpin' me to repair them. I appreciate everyone's replies and advise.

I assume vacuum switch you refer to is what I call the manifold, (pic attached), on the right side of the control head? I will try to check each pot vacuum line from the pot to the manifold while moving the control lever through the different positions and note if vacuum stays steady or bleeds off. I appreciate the help!

He's talking about the selector in the climate control panel.

So I will need to replace the first attached pic, climate control panel or the second attached pic, what I call the manifold, (the black and white part)? Either way, it's gonna be a booger. Heater_controls.thumb.jpg.7db2bbef17f415881f1d5aee49207ede.jpgVacuum_plug_on_heater_controls_3.thumb.jpg.90ba3b9bbe286a281caf13e03868f774.jpg

So I will need to replace the first attached pic, climate control panel or the second attached pic, what I call the manifold, (the black and white part)? Either way, it's gonna be a booger.

Mat already said what you have circled is likely a stud with a tin nut holding the thing together.

The "switch" is the valve that lever connects to, that directs the vacuum to the various flaps/doors in the ductwork.

It's represented in the EVTM drawings Gary posted.

If the system holds a reasonable amount of vacuum you don't have to replace anything.

Well, the "only have defrost" is a well known and documented problem.

The diverter door in the ductwork is known to come off/break it's hinge.

A member here (Chuske) makes a kit to fix this.

There's a thread and a link in the marketplace to that issue.

Do you want me to find you threads that show what fails and how to fix it???

That would be a big help 'cause I forgot my map & compass. In other words, I'm lost.

That would be a big help 'cause I forgot my map & compass. In other words, I'm lost.

Here's a few to start.

If you use the search function to look for "blend door" more will turn up.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/HVAC-Doors-help-tp81810.html

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Blend-door-repair-question-tp57653.html

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Improved-HVAC-blend-door-as-discussed-on-forum-recently-tp130679.html

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Heater-Blend-Door-Alternate-Design-tp112193.html

You did a bang up job Jim, thanks a million. I would never have understood what ya'll were talkin' about without these threads. I did do a little something, anticipating removal of the climate control panel, I found these: