Bullnose Forums

Rethinking The 3G Conversion Pages/Process

Perhaps it was you that I tried to help by pointing out C-610 on the EVTM diagram.

It would be great if I could locate the right connector (for 610) in the Motorcraft pigtail catalog.

Then it would just be a matter of figuring out the correct lengths to reach the fender relay stud for Y 37 and the 3G for the LG/R exciter* wire. (Damned autocorrect)

Unfortunately my truck never came with a plug like that, because it never came with an ammeter.

Gary???? 😉

Jim, you and I discussed in another thread my issues with my Duraspark II harness. That is a mess that I would not want to try and rebuild from scratch. The alternator harness, on the other hand, I think is a better candidate since it can be more easily removed and is somewhat less complicated.

In my case, my C-610 connector is in ok shape. The rest of the wiring is a different story. I haven't opened it up yet because it's a mess of electrical tape and several cut/bare wires that I have not identified. I think the connector has enough good wire on it that I could splice it into what is needed for the 3G. With all of that said, if a new harness was available or easily built, I would go with that option.

On a side note, my Duraspark harness from Painless arrived this week. I'll send pictures on the other thread when I can.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, you and I discussed in another thread my issues with my Duraspark II harness. That is a mess that I would not want to try and rebuild from scratch. The alternator harness, on the other hand, I think is a better candidate since it can be more easily removed and is somewhat less complicated.

In my case, my C-610 connector is in ok shape. The rest of the wiring is a different story. I haven't opened it up yet because it's a mess of electrical tape and several cut/bare wires that I have not identified. I think the connector has enough good wire on it that I could splice it into what is needed for the 3G. With all of that said, if a new harness was available or easily built, I would go with that option.

On a side note, my Duraspark harness from Painless arrived this week. I'll send pictures on the other thread when I can.

Painless might be another option for a vendor.

I know I asked Big Brother/Jeff in that discussion for his NAPA part number for the harness side of the DSII distributor connector.

Hopefully Gary will turn up the engine side of C-610.

If you have 610 it should be as easy as bringing 37 (Y) to the fender relay or megafuse and bringing the exciter wire to the 3G's regulator plug.

I know I asked Big Brother/Jeff in that discussion for his NAPA part number for the harness side of the DSII distributor connector.

Hopefully Gary will turn up the engine side of C-610.

If you have 610 it should be as easy as bringing 37 (Y) to the fender relay or megafuse and bringing the exciter wire to the 3G's regulator plug.

Ok, here's a photo dump of the engine-side C610 harness I pulled off an '85.

First is the whole harness with the tape removed and callouts for the connections. Then a closeup of a failed S203 - yikes! Then several shots of the connector itself just to document it, and that includes the ID # of D3AB 14489-CB. Unfortunately my 1980 cross reference's closest match is D3AB 14489-TA, which crosses to PN D3AZ 14489-T, and I can't find any hits on that so I don't know that it is correct. Nor can I find anything like it in the MPC or the pigtails catalog. Maybe someone else can?

C610_Harness_with_Callouts.thumb.jpg.a55a92531a5a63c03dac19c9b72acfd5.jpg

S203_Fail_Closeup.thumb.jpg.8a869f316a4d26728b04a8e608d5ba4f.jpg

C610_-_1.thumb.jpg.679101dfe9821aed44f6dd068ffda0d9.jpg

C610_-_2.thumb.jpg.be7dcd8faede244151cdb31f1241429c.jpg

C610_-_3.thumb.jpg.51f1e38fa63765fb191db43d262f183a.jpg

C610_Engine_Side_Part_Number_-_D3AB_14489-CB.thumb.jpg.72fb1bd2794b0269346a08f232f33381.jpg

Ok, here's a photo dump of the engine-side C610 harness I pulled off an '85.

First is the whole harness with the tape removed and callouts for the connections. Then a closeup of a failed S203 - yikes! Then several shots of the connector itself just to document it, and that includes the ID # of D3AB 14489-CB. Unfortunately my 1980 cross reference's closest match is D3AB 14489-TA, which crosses to PN D3AZ 14489-T, and I can't find any hits on that so I don't know that it is correct. Nor can I find anything like it in the MPC or the pigtails catalog. Maybe someone else can?

That looks like the DS-II connector

That looks like the DS-II connector

It is similar, but they are keyed differently. I am guessing that the connector itself was never sold separately. The terminals aren't removable - at least I can't get the rubber on the back side of the connector to let go from the wire and slide back. It acts like it was molded on.

And with the listing of the harness from the alternator to the regulator, shown below, I think that you replaced the whole thing. (It also looks like we've found a few more errors in the MPC as an ammeter and an oil pressure warning light combo wasn't offered from what I can tell. Surely that should read "XX alternator and warning lights".

DS-II_vs_C610.thumb.jpg.b0c546d5b800236e85476f3ec8618776.jpg

alternator-to-voltage-regulator-header.thumb.jpg.aad41a3a85246dcf1ba7f11515b4731d.jpgalternator-to-voltage-regulator-1.thumb.jpg.f41054f8c061bb5948a9731d03c77c87.jpgalternator-to-voltage-regulator-2.thumb.jpg.7b3143642a6526189bf2f8c1a06dd3a8.jpgalternator-to-voltage-regulator-3.thumb.jpg.813c8ba3d0915a3541d6fe2511d44588.jpg

It is similar, but they are keyed differently. I am guessing that the connector itself was never sold separately. The terminals aren't removable - at least I can't get the rubber on the back side of the connector to let go from the wire and slide back. It acts like it was molded on.

And with the listing of the harness from the alternator to the regulator, shown below, I think that you replaced the whole thing. (It also looks like we've found a few more errors in the MPC as an ammeter and an oil pressure warning light combo wasn't offered from what I can tell. Surely that should read "XX alternator and warning lights".

Like I said the distributor connector is keyed different than the module.....

But you can lop off the key and fit them together.

Maybe we would kill two birds with one stone if we found the right plug?

Someone must make them

We need a closeup of the Painful connector so we can look for die marks and/or the actual manufacturer ID. 🧐

Like I said the distributor connector is keyed different than the module.....

But you can lop off the key and fit them together.

Maybe we would kill two birds with one stone if we found the right plug?

Someone must make them

We need a closeup of the Painful connector so we can look for die marks and/or the actual manufacturer ID. 🧐

So the keyed portion you're referring to is the connector ears that keep the two sides attached?

I had a look at the harness Painless sells. It sounds like they bypass the C610. They do mention the ammeter situation with higher amp alternators and how to bypass it. They do not mentioned the electric choke from my situation.

So the keyed portion you're referring to is the connector ears that keep the two sides attached?

I had a look at the harness Painless sells. It sounds like they bypass the C610. They do mention the ammeter situation with higher amp alternators and how to bypass it. They do not mentioned the electric choke from my situation.

No

Look closely

Gary has one at 6:00 and the white one is at about 8:00

Jim, I looked everywhere and do not find my NAPA bill.

I plan to stop there and check with the guy if he could find my history.