Bullnose Forums

Rethinking The 3G Conversion Pages/Process

I'm not high on grounding 654 in the dash as there's not much room to work there. However, it is an option and could be explained that way.

My preference would be to salvage the C610 connector from the removed harness and splice on some wire to the short piece of Y/LG there and take that to ground. Then do the U there on that side of C610 for LG/R to R/O and, while at it, extend that wire to the alternator. Similarly, use the piece of Y for Ckt 37 coming out of C610 and put a ring-tongue terminal on the end of it to go to the megafuse's stud.

All of that work could be done on the bench and then plugged in to the truck. In fact, that is something that someone could make up and sell - a kit with a voltmeter from Rocketman and a C610 replacement harness and you'd have a plug & play 3G.

Well, I have to disagree.

But it's your baby. Draw what you want.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not high on grounding 654 in the dash as there's not much room to work there. However, it is an option and could be explained that way.

My preference would be to salvage the C610 connector from the removed harness and splice on some wire to the short piece of Y/LG there and take that to ground. Then do the U there on that side of C610 for LG/R to R/O and, while at it, extend that wire to the alternator. Similarly, use the piece of Y for Ckt 37 coming out of C610 and put a ring-tongue terminal on the end of it to go to the megafuse's stud.

All of that work could be done on the bench and then plugged in to the truck. In fact, that is something that someone could make up and sell - a kit with a voltmeter from Rocketman and a C610 replacement harness and you'd have a plug & play 3G.

We've already heard in this thread that that harness is completely toast.

If it's garbage, get rid of it.

Less chance of hidden corroded wires or some insulation flaking off and starting a fire

We've already heard in this thread that that harness is completely toast.

If it's garbage, get rid of it.

Less chance of hidden corroded wires or some insulation flaking off and starting a fire

That's why I was talking about options. If the C610 harness is good, then you could... But if it isn't then...

I think I have a harness that is good and much prefer soldering on the bench than in the truck, so would go that way. But if the reader's harness isn't good then they'll have to do it another way.

Jeff said he loves "plug’n play upgrades", and I think he is probably typical of truck owners. So if we can get it down to just unplugging the C610 harness and plugging in a replacement then I think a whole lot of people will want to do it.

That's why I was talking about options. If the C610 harness is good, then you could... But if it isn't then...

I think I have a harness that is good and much prefer soldering on the bench than in the truck, so would go that way. But if the reader's harness isn't good then they'll have to do it another way.

Jeff said he loves "plug’n play upgrades", and I think he is probably typical of truck owners. So if we can get it down to just unplugging the C610 harness and plugging in a replacement then I think a whole lot of people will want to do it.

You have my vote!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

You have my vote!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I thought you'd like that, Jeff. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here are my thoughts: I'll draw up a schematic showing how I think it can be done via a C610 harness. But that's going to look more complicated than it really would be given the way the schematic has the 4 terminals of C610 spread all across the page.

Then I'll take a real C610 harness and make the needed changes and you'll see how simple it really is since C610 is really small.

But I'm in the middle of another project so won't get to this for a while. In the interim I'd love to see everyone's thoughts on this.

I thought you'd like that, Jeff. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here are my thoughts: I'll draw up a schematic showing how I think it can be done via a C610 harness. But that's going to look more complicated than it really would be given the way the schematic has the 4 terminals of C610 spread all across the page.

Then I'll take a real C610 harness and make the needed changes and you'll see how simple it really is since C610 is really small.

But I'm in the middle of another project so won't get to this for a while. In the interim I'd love to see everyone's thoughts on this.

I had to highlight all those different C-610 connector locations for another member not long ago (maybe ifitaintbroke/Bradley?)

While it certainly would be nice if you went into production of plug n' play harnesses Gary 😉 maybe it could make a good venture for the Blue Truck guy??

Sorry, I forget his name too. :nabble_smiley_blush: (blame it on my face blind autism)

I had to highlight all those different C-610 connector locations for another member not long ago (maybe ifitaintbroke/Bradley?)

While it certainly would be nice if you went into production of plug n' play harnesses Gary 😉 maybe it could make a good venture for the Blue Truck guy??

Sorry, I forget his name too. :nabble_smiley_blush: (blame it on my face blind autism)

It would be great if someone would make them. I designed the adapter that Tim Meyer is selling to put a ZF5 behind the M-block and am happy he's doing that. And I'd be thrilled if someone started making a 3G harness for the Bullnose trucks. I don't need nor want any recognition from it.

But I need to make a proof-of-concept first. Hopefully I can get the two projects I'm doing on Big Blue at present, the new seats and relays for the HVAC blower, done soon and turn to this.

However, I'm drawing a blank on the Blue Truck guy. Can someone remind me who that is?

It would be great if someone would make them. I designed the adapter that Tim Meyer is selling to put a ZF5 behind the M-block and am happy he's doing that. And I'd be thrilled if someone started making a 3G harness for the Bullnose trucks. I don't need nor want any recognition from it.

But I need to make a proof-of-concept first. Hopefully I can get the two projects I'm doing on Big Blue at present, the new seats and relays for the HVAC blower, done soon and turn to this.

However, I'm drawing a blank on the Blue Truck guy. Can someone remind me who that is?

Do you forget about the dash patch that Ron is profiting from??? :nabble_anim_confused: