Bullnose Forums

Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

Here are all of the pictures from removal to completion (minus cover the wires in loom.)

What is this?

IMG_6344.jpg.7d462d3088bbe4973002e24a312b145f.jpgI'm trying to follow along. I'm in the middle of a re-wire. I intend to go to 3G, but it's not in my budget yet so I have to rewire old way and in a month or 2 when I get new alternator I can go this route, But I don't know what this relay is?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this?

I'm trying to follow along. I'm in the middle of a re-wire. I intend to go to 3G, but it's not in my budget yet so I have to rewire old way and in a month or 2 when I get new alternator I can go this route, But I don't know what this relay is?

That relay is not factory installed. At some point in the history of my truck, someone added the relay to the electric choke on my carburetor. The relay was wired in with the factory 1G harnesses but in the picture it has been removed. The red wire looks like it is connected to something else but it is not.

I believe Jim said somewhere in this thread that there was a similar factory relay on some 351HO. That was not the case on my engine (400).

That relay is not factory installed. At some point in the history of my truck, someone added the relay to the electric choke on my carburetor. The relay was wired in with the factory 1G harnesses but in the picture it has been removed. The red wire looks like it is connected to something else but it is not.

I believe Jim said somewhere in this thread that there was a similar factory relay on some 351HO. That was not the case on my engine (400).

Whew....thanks.

Thanks, Will. That pretty well confirms it. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I just sent Bob/Rocketman this email:

Bob - First, I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm one of your biggest fans and strongly recommend that people converting to a 3G alternator on the Bullnose trucks have you convert their ammeter to a voltmeter, which you can see on my webpage here.  I'm running one of yours and love it.  In fact, I think I sent you a core several years ago to just help out.

But I need a bit of help as one of the Bullnose Forum members just got his meter back from you and it appears that the positive and negative terminals have been swapped, which means my wiring diagram is wrong.  I couldn't believe that so I pulled my dash apart today and documented which post you painted red vs black, and had my member take a pic of his.  They sure seem to be flipped.  You can see the pictures of them in my post here and then his follow-on post.

I'm just trying to understand how you are going to be doing it so I can adjust my schematic if needed.  Not at all saying you are wrong.  But I'm updating my wiring diagram and would like it to match how you plan to do it.  Will, the gentleman that just installed your meter, is the first to use my new schematic, and Jeff in Canada has a meter on order from you, and he''ll be #2.  So I need to get this right and would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Gary Lewis

Bullnose Forum

I haven't heard anything from him since my email last week. I checked his website this afternoon and his out of office date was updated but it looks like he should be back now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have emailed him about my situation with the polarity change on my converted meter. I'll let everyone know what the response is.

Bob called me Friday a week ago about my gauge. I talked to him for a while about the conversion, what we are all working on and what I did to remedy my specific situation. It was a very informative conversation and I'm very appreciative given everything he has been going through. After speaking with him, it sounds like my gauge was shipped out reversed from his normal configuration and was just an oversight.

Bob called me Friday a week ago about my gauge. I talked to him for a while about the conversion, what we are all working on and what I did to remedy my specific situation. It was a very informative conversation and I'm very appreciative given everything he has been going through. After speaking with him, it sounds like my gauge was shipped out reversed from his normal configuration and was just an oversight.

That's good to know - that the gauge was reversed, not that he's had serious problems. So Jeff should be good to go when he gets his and we shouldn't have to alter the schematic.

I can certainly understand, with the sort of stress he's encountering given all that's going on.

I definitely know that when you're doing a job by instinct as much as anything else, it easy to miss something (like a diode) that is symmetrical but polarized.

I hope he's doing ok and you get your truck to where you want it! 😊

That's good to know - that the gauge was reversed, not that he's had serious problems. So Jeff should be good to go when he gets his and we shouldn't have to alter the schematic.

We'll see when I will get it, but I am now aware that (maybe) a wrong rebuild could occur.

Let's hope that mine will be ok.

:nabble_smiley_good:

We'll see when I will get it, but I am now aware that (maybe) a wrong rebuild could occur.

Let's hope that mine will be ok.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Gary do you have Ryan's install instructions and catalogued items for sale from the wayback?

https://web.archive.org/web/20071015182225/http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75

https://web.archive.org/web/20070221131638/http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=7