Bullnose Forums

Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

Did you test it before install? :nabble_anim_confused:

Sounds to me like you have it wired backwards.

Try connecting your 'ground' to power, and your 'power' to ground.

You beat me to it. I was able to check the voltage at the back of the meter, -12.5v. Something I missed in Rocketman's documentation is that he recommends not using the factory cluster wiring but instead wiring the converted meter in with new wires.

I was not expecting the conversion of the meter to switch it's polarity. I don't know if that is due to the nature of the conversion or what.

I am fine switching the wires around but I also want to reach out to Rocketman for more details on why the meter's poles have changed.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it. I was able to check the voltage at the back of the meter, -12.5v. Something I missed in Rocketman's documentation is that he recommends not using the factory cluster wiring but instead wiring the converted meter in with new wires.

I was not expecting the conversion of the meter to switch it's polarity. I don't know if that is due to the nature of the conversion or what.

I am fine switching the wires around but I also want to reach out to Rocketman for more details on why the meter's poles have changed.

Hopefully you get a good response!

Yikes! We need to figure this out as we'll have others following in your steps.

But I'm using the factory wiring with no problems.

Reversing the wires resolved the problem. We had to hook the red/orange from C610 to ground and the yellow/light green from C610 into the light green/red and to G3 light green/red. The corrected the polarity situation.

I will reach out to Rocketman this evening and see what's up. I can certainly understand why his instructions do not include using the factory harness at the instrument cluster. Given the age of these vehicles and the rarity for truly new parts it's a risk to use them. Still, why reverse the poles on the meter?

I'll let you know what I find out and I'll post some pics of the freshly loomed wires tomorrow.

Reversing the wires resolved the problem. We had to hook the red/orange from C610 to ground and the yellow/light green from C610 into the light green/red and to G3 light green/red. The corrected the polarity situation.

I will reach out to Rocketman this evening and see what's up. I can certainly understand why his instructions do not include using the factory harness at the instrument cluster. Given the age of these vehicles and the rarity for truly new parts it's a risk to use them. Still, why reverse the poles on the meter?

I'll let you know what I find out and I'll post some pics of the freshly loomed wires tomorrow.

This is critical info, as I'll need to change the schematic. And the harness that Jeff has apparently has the wiring backward. Probably the easiest way to fix it is to swap the wires at the connector into the cluster as those pins are easy to remove. But I need to change the schematic if Rocketman confirms this is the way he's sending the voltmeters.

But I need to change the schematic if Rocketman confirms this is the way he's sending the voltmeters.

I have no news from Bob/Rocketman… I sent him my NOS ammeter for conversion, and tracking is confirming the delivery on last April 26th.

I emailed Bob to be sure everything is ok on his side, no sound, no image.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

But I need to change the schematic if Rocketman confirms this is the way he's sending the voltmeters.

I have no news from Bob/Rocketman… I sent him my NOS ammeter for conversion, and tracking is confirming the delivery on last April 26th.

If you go look at Will's thread you'll find that I have the wires to the voltmeter backwards! He had to reverse them. For you it may be easiest to swap the two wires in the connector that goes into the cluster as that is fairly easy to do. That way there's no change to the wiring I sent you.

He has this note scrolling at the top of his page: I will be unavailable 23 April through 7 May as I will be attending my parent`s interment and helping finalize their estate.

If you go look at Will's thread you'll find that I have the wires to the voltmeter backwards! He had to reverse them. For you it may be easiest to swap the two wires in the connector that goes into the cluster as that is fairly easy to do. That way there's no change to the wiring I sent you.

Ok Gary, I take notes. I’ll see at it more closely and won’t proceed if I’m not sure. So don’t be surprised if I ask more questions about the voltmeter connection.

When I’ll receive it…

He has this note scrolling at the top of his page: I will be unavailable 23 April through 7 May as I will be attending my parent`s interment and helping finalize their estate.

Oh, wow! So sorry for him. Both parents? :nabble_smiley_oh:

I'll be digging into Big Blue's cluster soon and will check out which wire I have going where to Rocketman's voltmeter. Need to make sure how this is wired.