Bullnose Forums

Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found some 16mm washers that had a 17mm ID and fit perfectly. Installed the new ammeter and a new speedo cable while in the dash. Now I'm onto the wiring harness :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Progress is Gooooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you all set with cables, fuse and pigtails Will?

Progress is Gooooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you all set with cables, fuse and pigtails Will?

I have the pig tails and a junkyard harness. I sitll need to get the fuse and holder. I thought I had ordered that already or picked it up but my notes say I found it at the local auto parts so that must have been my way of saying I'd just go grab it when the time came.

I posted a picture of my junkyard harness in the other thread for Gary to have a look at. I'll post it here too. I'm concerned because there are two orange/black wires and they don't seem all that large.

IMG_2687_Large.jpeg.ba56ef41667170f0efb7df4d43ef8ccd.jpeg

I have the pig tails and a junkyard harness. I sitll need to get the fuse and holder. I thought I had ordered that already or picked it up but my notes say I found it at the local auto parts so that must have been my way of saying I'd just go grab it when the time came.

I posted a picture of my junkyard harness in the other thread for Gary to have a look at. I'll post it here too. I'm concerned because there are two orange/black wires and they don't seem all that large.

Yeah, the or/bk wires are 2G.... and that's a problem.

Go to your local auto parts and get an HMEG holder and a 6Ga cable (intended for a garden tractor, or something) abt 28" long to go from the output stud of the alternator to the 150A fuse holder.

If your alternator is pointed straight up, you might figure out the fuse holder and then use a coat hanger wire to get a length for the output cable.... 💡

Yep, just answered. Ford seemed to like to use two smaller wires than one big wire, perhaps for flexibility. Anyway, just terminate them to the same place.

Go to your local auto parts and get an HMEG holder and a 6Ga cable (intended for a garden tractor, or something) abt 28" long to go from the output stud of the alternator to the 150A fuse holder.

If your alternator is pointed straight up, you might figure out the fuse holder and then use a coat hanger wire to get a length for the output cable.... 💡

I actually have the 6Ga cable already. I have the 2 pig tails that I bought separately from Ebay so I will just wire them up in place of the junkyard harness.

I do need to verify the stator wire setup for the carb choke. The white/black wire from the 3-wire 3G connector will connect to the status plug as well as the choke?

I actually have the 6Ga cable already. I have the 2 pig tails that I bought separately from Ebay so I will just wire them up in place of the junkyard harness.

I do need to verify the stator wire setup for the carb choke. The white/black wire from the 3-wire 3G connector will connect to the statOR plug as well as the choke?

Yes, that is correct, if you have a 7V Motorcraft choke cap (usually a single bullet connector)

Good catch! I didn't look at the connector. :nabble_smiley_cry:

They join at a fusible link that is nowhere near big enough for the output of a 130A 3G, which can easily reach 160A...

The problem is the blue fusible link they're spliced to.... 😉