Bullnose Forums

Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

If you go look at Will's thread you'll find that I have the wires to the voltmeter backwards! He had to reverse them. For you it may be easiest to swap the two wires in the connector that goes into the cluster as that is fairly easy to do. That way there's no change to the wiring I sent you.

Personally, I would not want to touch the cluster connector. Tight spaces and old plastic are not on my list of things to mix together.

However, do you have a pin layout for that connector? Not that I need it for this but I'm thinking it would be good to have available for the future.

I will add, I am not using my stock cluster circuit board. I poached one with a partial cluster from an 85 diesel a while back. Mine had started to peel very badly and the first time we disconnected the plug things went south. Oh, and the ammeter/volt meter conversion I had Rocketman do was also from that junkyard cluster.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has this note scrolling at the top of his page: I will be unavailable 23 April through 7 May as I will be attending my parent`s interment and helping finalize their estate.

Ok, thanks for the info.

:nabble_smiley_good:

I had good contact with Bob until I sent the package and since then, nothing.

Oh, wow! So sorry for him. Both parents? :nabble_smiley_oh:

I'll be digging into Big Blue's cluster soon and will check out which wire I have going where to Rocketman's voltmeter. Need to make sure how this is wired.

He marks the tips of the posts red and black so there is that.

Personally, I would not want to touch the cluster connector. Tight spaces and old plastic are not on my list of things to mix together.

However, do you have a pin layout for that connector? Not that I need it for this but I'm thinking it would be good to have available for the future.

I will add, I am not using my stock cluster circuit board. I poached one with a partial cluster from an 85 diesel a while back. Mine had started to peel very badly and the first time we disconnected the plug things went south. Oh, and the ammeter/volt meter conversion I had Rocketman do was also from that junkyard cluster.

The pins are pretty easy to swap. And the pinout is available on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Gauges and then the Printed Circuit Pin-outs tab.

I have a connector loose and hopefully can post a pic tomorrow as to how to swap the pins.

He has this note scrolling at the top of his page: I will be unavailable 23 April through 7 May as I will be attending my parent`s interment and helping finalize their estate.

Ok, thanks for the info.

:nabble_smiley_good:

I had good contact with Bob until I sent the package and since then, nothing.

My conversion went well. He was in the middle of moving to a new, larger shop when I sent mine in, so it took an extra week or so for mine to come in. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. Easy purchase. Good communication and quick turn around in my opinion.

The pins are pretty easy to swap.

[…]

I have a connector loose and hopefully can post a pic tomorrow as to how to swap the pins.

Subscribed.

As an aside, we are in the shop where the shelter is having watched a tornado go about 15 miles west of town. May not get out to the shop too early in the morning as we are watching another set of storms heading our way, but maybe not with rotation.

As an aside, we are in the shop where the shelter is having watched a tornado go about 15 miles west of town. May not get out to the shop too early in the morning as we are watching another set of storms heading our way, but maybe not with rotation.

Stay safe!

Yikes!

The recent footage of tornado damage I've seen is quite harrowing. 🌪️

Will, glad the instrument is functioning correctly, and it's just a harness problem. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Yikes!

The recent footage of tornado damage I've seen is quite harrowing. 🌪️

Will, glad the instrument is functioning correctly, and it's just a harness problem. :nabble_smiley_cool:

We are safe. But Barnsdall, a town 20 miles away, took a direct hit. We watched on TV as the rotation started SW of us and tracked about 15 miles west of us and then watched as it made a beeline to Barnsdall. And they are guessing it was an EF3 with a debris field to 20,000 feet in the air.

Then it went right up to Bartlesville. Barnsdall is a burgh but Bartlesville is a major city in OK.

Now there is another storm firing up near Wagoner, which is where John/Machspeed is. Just texted him and he's ok - so far.