Bullnose Forums

Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

Jim - Please be safe!

Will - Here's how Ford did it. You can see that the relay is pulled in via the stator and the W/Bk wire, and gets its power from the starter relay and a fuse link.

I appreciate the schematic but I think some of this may be beyond my current comprehension.

I can make out the W/BK stator wire going into the choke relay.

I see the DB wire with 20A fuse from the starter relay to the choke relay.

I see the choke relay connecting to the choke heater.

It looks like the choke relay goes to ground on the black wire.

It looks like this has a lot of other relay's downstream from this relay. I suspect that most of those, based on their names, are related to some of the stuff that has been removed from my truck. I have no EGR or Smog or solenoids on my carb.

If half of that is right I'll be amazed.

I appreciate the schematic but I think some of this may be beyond my current comprehension.

It looks like this has a lot of other relay's downstream from this relay. I suspect that most of those, based on their names, are related to some of the stuff that has been removed from my truck. I have no EGR or Smog or solenoids on my carb.

You just need to see that the stator (4 b/w)

is pulling in the relay (the other side of the coil (57) is ground)

And that 67 gy/w is actually the other side of 4 (stator) going to the choke heater.

The stator pulls in the relay and the relay takes power from the main power (37 Y) through a fuselink, and feeds the choke.

Look at only this....

Screenshot_20240128-235639.thumb.png.a6d6e20ce59eba0efbafbc0d6ff33146.png

Dark blue is the fuselink color code for 20Ga.💡

The 37 wire is yellow, like the rest of the main cab power wire....

ETA: 302 is an eyelet at the hot stud of the fender relay.

I appreciate the schematic but I suspect that most of those, based on their names, are related to some of the stuff that has been removed from my truck. I have no EGR or Smog or solenoids on my carb.

This is a schematic from a 1985/6 351HO.

None of this stuff came on your '82 400 F-250.

I appreciate the schematic but I suspect that most of those, based on their names, are related to some of the stuff that has been removed from my truck. I have no EGR or Smog or solenoids on my carb.

This is a schematic from a 1985/6 351HO.

None of this stuff came on your '82 400 F-250.

doh!

You just need to see that the stator (4 b/w)

is pulling in the relay (the other side of the coil (57) is ground)

And that 67 gy/w is actually the other side of 4 (stator) going to the choke heater.

The stator pulls in the relay and the relay takes power from the main power (37 Y) through a fuselink, and feeds the choke.

Look at only this....

Got it. I think I can tackle this at the same time as the 3G and I'll bundle everything up together.

Got it. I think I can tackle this at the same time as the 3G and I'll bundle everything up together.

Will

If you're going to go with a 3G alternator I'd suggest simply getting a 7V Motorcraft style choke cap and running the choke directly from the Stator (b/w #4) wire.

Eliminate the complexity, confusion and possible failure of a relay. (like you already found disintegrated in your truck)

The wiring is simpler and worked for decades in 10's of millions of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.

These choke caps can be found from other brands, not only OEM.

Here's one made in the USA, with a tab on the edge, just like yours.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/motorcraft-thermostat-th1023

Edit: they call it a thermostat because it is a bimetallic clock spring, just like the classic domed Honeywell T87F 2873 mercury bulb thermostat.

Will

If you're going to go with a 3G alternator I'd suggest simply getting a 7V Motorcraft style choke cap and running the choke directly from the Stator (b/w #4) wire.

Eliminate the complexity, confusion and possible failure of a relay. (like you already found disintegrated in your truck)

The wiring is simpler and worked for decades in 10's of millions of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.

These choke caps can be found from other brands, not only OEM.

Here's one made in the USA, with a tab on the edge, just like yours.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/motorcraft-thermostat-th1023

Edit: they call it a thermostat because it is a bimetallic clock spring, just like the classic domed Honeywell T87F 2873 mercury bulb thermostat.

That was my original plan, but when I reached out to Mike's Carburetor, they told me all of their chokes were 12v. Maybe I asked the wrong question?

That was my original plan, but when I reached out to Mike's Carburetor, they told me all of their chokes were 12v. Maybe I asked the wrong question?

I don't know who you talked to, but obviously they DO have ~7V choke heaters.

You seem articulate and intelligent.

I don't think you asked the wrong question.🤷‍♂️

More likely the person on the phone has no idea that a 'for Motorcraft' choke is meant to operate on unrectified 2/3 alternator output.